Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 17,056 times
For people who live there and seeing it happen over and over maybe it seems like a lot, but you have places that have 4 people per mile. Even some of the 1k-6k populations have only 108people psm, it's much less likely to be seen. We don't have very many towns below 38k. This is what I am getting away from. There is crime EVERYWHERE! I am not naive. I am realistic on the optomistic side. I like to smile, and laugh and have a good time with family and friends. I want a better grounded level base for my children. And some of the calls they get in that report you linked are false alarms, natural deaths, someone shooting flares and they're just checking to make sure no one needed any help. That WOULD NOT be in our police reports. They don't have time for that. I'm sure they stumble on a few but they don't get calls like that. It's rape, drugs, DV and more drugs. I was reading in another forum...they were arguing over how many meth labs there have been in AK in the last few years. Whatever the number is - it's a number that happens on the eastern 1/3rd of NC state alone. So.... And no I don't want to start that debate here, please. It's already threaded elsewhere.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Have you ever even been here? Do you even understand that "4 people per mile" doesn't literally mean that?

Quote:
Even some of the 1k-6k populations have only 108people psm, it's much less likely to be seen.
It can be much more noticeable in small communities.

Don't mean to seem rude but it seems that often people come here with a question, don't like the answer, and then try to tell those that live in Alaska differently.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 PM

You aren't going to leave the drug/alcohol problem no matter where you go in Alaska. It's everywhere.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
We don't have very many towns below 38k.
NC doesn't actually have many towns over 38k (not sure what the significance of that number is anyways): Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedI lived in Fayetteville about ten years ago. There are a lot of small, quiet towns in NC.

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM

What part of I'm not naive do you not understand? Drugs are everywhere. I have researched for over a month before i found this forum, talking to people who live there, and yes they can say what they like, but i know some of them through people i know here. They don't see the drugs there like they do when they visit here. And as for me not liking your answer and trying to tell you something...it's called a different view. I KNOW that the same place i found the 4 and the 108 ppsm says there are 375 people psm in my zipcode. Even allowing for some misguided algorithm (sp?) its a LOT different. No, I have never been there in person. I have only seen pictures and met people from there who came here. I have read so many of your threads Metlakatla and you have always given good advice. I'm not trying to tell you anything. It's what your used to. Some people say there aren't any "Real" gangs here. It may not be as serious a gang as it is where they come from, but it is a gang none the less and it's big and very real to us. It's the same thing because of what we're used to. But when they are looking from the outside in (like i'm doing) comparing it to what they're used to..our gang problem looks like childsplay. My opinions are my own, and they are not exactly unfounded. Alaska is less poplulated than where i am Per Square Mile of habitable land. Tell me something I don't know....how many parents have the "do what you want...just leave me alone" mentality with their children? How many parents do you know that stay on the computer and don't care to ever leave their house for all the games and chats, leaving their kids to do whatever? All of these questions for places in AK not considered a big city like anchorage. From the people I've spoken to it seems pretty rare also. Again, i realize it does happen everywhere, but the general concensus is that the eskimo principles are still very much in effect there. The good people trying live the best life they can. The not so good people doing what they do best. And the good SEEM to outway the bad by a country mile. And those weren't rhetoric questions, i would like the answers. I have gotten answers from others but would like to hear more. Have a good night, i will check back tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM

You do realize that there are more other ethnics living here besides Eskimos?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Tigre, thank you for the link but that link's info was generated in 2000. There has been significant growth since then. Katrina, lots of hispanic influx, and other people looking for a place to go. I has become very compact. The info i was refering was here on cd and even its a few years old.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Like philipines, and thailand and canadian and african american and hispanic. yes. i do. but i am also under the impression (someone elses opinion since i haven't been there myself, hence the reason i was looking for more answers here) that people come there and adapt to that way of life, generally. Even in this thread people complain because we bring what we have and corrupt your AK. Some will and do, i'm sure but again, for the most part it is run on that basic eskimo principle. And that is what us outsiders are going there for, partly, for me anyway.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Come up and find out for yourself. I've seen more drug use, child abuse, animal abuse, drunkeness, and flat out bad parenting in a place with less than 1500 people than I ever saw in any city. In the community I spend my summers in (don't live there year round anymore and will not do so), there are 14 sex offenders living less than one mile away. This is in one of those areas with not very many people per square mile, by the way.

Yes, it's possible to live a good life in Alaska, but you have to work at it, just like anywhere else. Drugs...meth...is rampant in some parts and your kids could well end up being more exposed to them than in larger communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska