Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 42,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Have you seen the movie "into the wild"

I think you should NetFlix it before you come up this way.

I've seen the movie and read the book. He talks about wondering if he'll be able to make it and enjoy his own company which I've wondered myself... It's a real personal test - the kind of which we're not presented with anymore... We rarely have serious consequence tied to actions and decisions. We don't teach self reliance anymore... You know, I've read that several african tribes send their children off into the wild to survive for several weeks alone and when the come back they're aknowledged as men in a ceremony. They value the consequence of putting their child in danger for the needed reward of the child gaining a level of self-reliance. What is our gateway to man-hood??? Does it come with the same reward? We could take a lesson...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why don't you get a job, of any kind, and pay your school debt back? Sounds like your trying to skip out on it and hide in the woods.

Whether I like it or not, I'm tied to my loans for life (there's a whole other discussion!) My plan is not a permanent move to Alaska - I'm considering it as a temporary journey.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I would choose to live probably somewhere in the Interior actually. I know how freaken cold it can get but I also know that summers are exceptional and the crops you could grow would be enough to get you through the winters. It would have to be near a lake or spring fed stream so you can get fresh water and fish. I would require a lot of ingenuity and money upfront to be able to create a self-sustainable cabin and land. A solar and / or wind powered generator would be nice. A sturdy cabin ideal of course. If you can swing it, somehow, build a straw bale house, your insulation would be phenomenal but depending upon how remote you were this might be difficult. Supplies would include a couple of chainsaws, generator, 55gallon drums of gas. windows, a wood stove, fishing supplies, a couple of great rifles and a shotgun, and handgun and plenty of ammo. Trapping supplies, Acrtic cold weather gear. A weed burner, a boat / 4 wheeler / snowmachine for getting in and out of the bush (sled dogs?) housebuilding supplies, ax, hammer, sledge, spikes, roofing, etc.... Thinking about how to get all this in and out of your property. Buying that perfect piece of land (good Luck!)

It can take a lot of money up front to get this rolling or a lot of time, and sometimes both. Alaska can be deadly for the people who are ill informed and weak mined/spirited. You can come up here and live off the land. But don't just assume it will be easy.
Issues?
COLD! that is the biggest issue. Alaska has LONG COLD winters, many people who live in the bush spend their entire summer preparing for winter. It does now always leave a lot of time for play. (of course fishing can be highly enjoyable!) If you cannot hunt or fish or trap, you have a huge learning curve ahead of you. Setting up your homesite for that first winter, you will be in a rush to have a roof over your head before winter sets in.
Summers are short.

I would probably settle somewhere close to Delta Junction. I am familiar with the people, the land, the climate. I feel confident that "I" could live there self-sustainably.

Good Luck!

Thanks - that's great... I had origionally thought about the SE as well, but your comment about the interior makes me think it could also be an option. I'm not used to that level of cold but I have a good deal of experience hunting and fishing and building so it could work out... I'll def look at that.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,172 times
I've been reading CD for a couple of years, with only part of that time as a poster, but this type of post seems to be a regular occurrence. Can someone explain what brings normally 'sensible' people to a point where they think their life is unfulfilled unless they can go to some remote place and live alone in a wild area without the usual conveniences found in our society? It almost seems they are approaching this new life with a death wish since this type of life isn't something most people are equipped to cope with. There is nothing in the training that most people receive while growing up in the lower 48 that would remotely prepare them for the rigors of surviving in the wild in Alaska. I have a degree in Botany which means I know something about edible plants that might make it possible to survive in a temperate climate but that knowledge doesn't completely transfer to a new environment.

Most human migrations have benefited from groups of people moving relatively short distances, over time, which gave them a fighting chance to survive while learning thier new environment. At no time in our past history have these migrations been by single individuals in what seems like suicide missions without a purpose. In the past there have been "Mountain Men" who went into the Western US but they had Indian knowledge, in both survival and the contact with the Native Tribes, that allowed them to take up this life style but what brings these people to a purposeful decision that they need to come to Alaska to begin their rendezvous with their ultimate destiny?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,178 times
I think the answer is rather simple, richelles. Many people have become very disenchanted with "society" and they are looking for what they hope is an escape from the stress.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Can someone explain what brings normally 'sensible' people to a point where they think their life is unfulfilled unless they can go to some remote place and live alone in a wild area without the usual conveniences found in our society?
One word comes to mind...

Hollywood

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,485 times
Richelles I've wondered that myself after reading post after post here on the same topic. What I think is it's a combo of both Nomadicbears disenchantment with society theory and Moose Whisperers Hollywood connection.
So many today see the Hollywood and literary romanticization (sorry not sure if that's even a word) of the homesteading era as what we are lacking. What many dont' realize is that this was daily life at the time. People didn't run off to homestead to "get away from it all" or "find themselves", they did it to have a home and survive.
The back breaking work involved was part of daily life not a test of manhood. If you didn't clear land to plant, put up canned good or hunt then you starved. Normally as soon as this group got financially set they did bring "civilization" to where they were at.

Think too many today believe their daily life is missing something or they are overwhelmed by their life be it personal or financial. Many people today think it's easier to revert to what they believe is simpler times, go back to basics and somehow this will fix them or their problems. Which we all know isn't the case.
For a very small group heading off to the wilderness and living off the land is right. But think this group isn't moving out their to "find themselves".

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,271 times
True. Some of us were born in the wrong era, not meant to live in "civilization". Would rather work to provide for ourselves, not some government or make some huge corporation rich while we spend all our life on the production line, never having time or energy to truely enjoy our families or the wonders and beauty of mother earth. And there are actually a huge number out there, do a search on self sufficient lifestyles and forums. Sure, some like modern conviences such as electricity, but there are more than just a handful of technology that I could do without, along with a lot of like minded people. If only I were 20 again.........

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Locating, buying, building and living in a remote setting takes a huge amount of dedication and work.

Seems like a waste if it's only going to be temporary.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 299,605 times
Default awesome idea

I think that is an awesome idea.My family and I are in the process of doing the same.We sold our home in Texas,and just went for it.Unfortunantly we went to Anchorage and it was nice but certainly not the bush.Since then we have moved to a small village and are currently looking around ourselves for just the right spot to get some land and build ourselves our own community away from all the stress of things.Listen you only live once why deal w/the bs of the city life and work to make others rich.There is land out there and alot of it and it is beautiful here.Also if you don't mind fishing,hunting and the idea of living of the land this is definitly the place to do it.
A person can live alot longer away from police sirens cell phones 9-5 jobs w/hardly any days off.
I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska