Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Actually, no. It came out today that it was a poll comissioned by Andrew Halcro to study the feasibility of Murkowski going third party. Murkowski had nothing to do with it, and obviously the answer was no anyway. But the conspiracy theorists immediately took it as a plot by the "Illuminati" to "steal" the election.
I stand corrected. At another forum, the Alaskans posting there were telling that they had received such phone calls, and thought that they were coming from Lisa's helpers.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yea, I guess we couldn't stand Florida stealing all of the spotlight as national laughing stalk, so we stumbled right onto center stage. Since we don't have "hanging chads" maybe we can come up with something better....dangling Moose nuggets?
perhaps no hanging chads, but by now you probably know that we use a pen to fill a circle on the ballot. Right? Who is to say that the lawyers can't argue about a circle that's not dark enough or that the whole circle is not marked?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Certainly, there are many people that serve the public good and I think that despite the deadlocks present many serve out of conscience for a better country. More disturbing is the "turning the country back to God" heralded by Beck on Sunday. When they demand "obedience" that troubles me. I mean, I have a skeptical eye towards most people who want my money or my vote, but these people want more as I said.....they want you. The latest disposable commodity. The more I get to know Mr. Miller, the more he sounds not right.
But again, all depends on which side you stand on. For example, if you are in disagreement with Joe Miller's views, you are in agreement with another view. Since both views are dissimilar, which one is right of which one is wrong? See, I can stand here and say that the side I don't agree with is wrong, so if I have the power I can impose my views on the other side by any means possible. Either side expects obedience. For example, don't you think that the Obama administration does not want the Tea Partiers to stop what they are doing? And what does the Tea Partiers want of Obama? Exactly the same thing.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I disagree. just as their are common goods which people recognize as helpful, their are common principles which unite and unify. Politics aside, the country is desperate for answers whomever they come from. Calling for people to turn to God or any other outside "force" may be a satisfying rallying cry but it does little for the nuts and bolts answers which our country truly needs right now. Lisa lock step Republican virtues to oppose many programs which would be helpful has been disappointing. Everyone recognizes a good outcome in human terms. Everyone respects justice and fairness...no?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I disagree. just as their are common goods which people recognize as helpful, their are common principles which unite and unify. Politics aside, the country is desperate for answers whomever they come from. Calling for people to turn to God or any other outside "force" may be a satisfying rallying cry but it does little for the nuts and bolts answers which our country truly needs right now. Lisa lock step Republican virtues to oppose many programs which would be helpful has been disappointing. Everyone recognizes a good outcome in human terms. Everyone respects justice and fairness...no?
Yes, everyone expects justice and fairness. But the question is: is everyone realizing such justice and fairness? The answer is, "no."

Regardless of how anybody can spin this subject, the bottom line is that what one "sees" of the other side isn't necessarily true, but one's perceptions. I can jump up and down complaining about the Christians that you have mentioned, but those "Christians" would jump up and down complaining about me, simply because our views aren't the same. I can't find the words to make you understand my point, so I will try this way:

Take a husband and wife who don't get along with each other. To the wife the husband is wrong, while to the husband the wife is wrong. You don't agree with the views of Miller and those Christians, and at the same time they don't agree with your views. Are only your perceptions the truth while theirs aren''t? See...if everyone was right, then nobody would disagree with anybody about anything because we all would think alike.

The simplest things in life can often be the most difficult to understand.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM

I believe that there are commonly held beliefs in civic life of what is fair and just and these are not up for a vote. Politics and politicking separates people from commonly held values and beliefs. Miller and his ilk want to deprive people of those commonly held values. Change "expects" to recognizes and I think that you will agree that getting to that point is of value. Keeping children safe, protecting the infirm, paying ones fair share for community services. These are all examples of ideals, ones which "live" below the politics, and while you are right people will disagree, everyone does agree on these goals for society. I believe the time is coming when people will have to choose. After all, Kivalina is shrinking due to the warming of the seas. It doesnt matter why really, but it does matter what happens to the peeps.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I believe that there are commonly held beliefs in civic life of what is fair and just and these are not up for a vote. Politics and politicking separates people from commonly held values and beliefs. Miller and his ilk want to deprive people of those commonly held values. Change "expects" to recognizes and I think that you will agree that getting to that point is of value. Keeping children safe, protecting the infirm, paying ones fair share for community services. These are all examples of ideals, ones which "live" below the politics, and while you are right people will disagree, everyone does agree on these goals for society. I believe the time is coming when people will have to choose. After all, Kivalina is shrinking due to the warming of the seas. It doesnt matter why really, but it does matter what happens to the peeps.
And those who are with Joe Miller believe that they stand by the truth, not you. There are two sides to every issue, and just because one side feels that only it stands by the truth. That's the case with everything in life in relation to human beings, for not two people think alike.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
perhaps no hanging chads, but by now you probably know that we use a pen to fill a circle on the ballot. Right? Who is to say that the lawyers can't argue about a circle that's not dark enough or that the whole circle is not marked?
Yes, coloring between the lines is a critical skill many of us learned way back in what, 1st or 2nd grade? I guess with the NEA they don't teach that anymore?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
And those who are with Joe Miller believe that they stand by the truth, not you. There are two sides to every issue, and just because one side feels that only it stands by the truth. That's the case with everything in life in relation to human beings, for not two people think alike.
ah now truth. that is something entirely different. people are entitled to their own beliefs but not their own facts.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
ah now truth. that is something entirely different. people are entitled to their own beliefs but not their own facts.
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska