U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM

846 posts, read 1,621,236 times

Advertisements

a 2009 sedan would easily make the trip, but might not be very useful after you've arrived (unless you'll be moving to a city and using it to get around town, something like that would be fine for anchorage). loading up a pickup (with camper shell) would be a bare minimum (and a pickup with 4 wheel drive would be good to have in alaska). i'd bring up a vehicle you can just keep driving when here. save the furniture and outdoors purchases for after arrival.
you might wanna look into state trooper jobs, try to secure something before coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,941,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
a 2009 sedan would easily make the trip, but might not be very useful after you've arrived (unless you'll be moving to a city and using it to get around town, something like that would be fine for anchorage). loading up a pickup (with camper shell) would be a bare minimum (and a pickup with 4 wheel drive would be good to have in alaska). i'd bring up a vehicle you can just keep driving when here. save the furniture and outdoors purchases for after arrival.
you might wanna look into state trooper jobs, try to secure something before coming.
His car would do fine, I have a 1998 2WD van with 135,000 miles on it and I live 80 miles outside of Fairbanks and drive it all year long on all kinds of weathered roads, never been stuck or had issues.

I do have to plow the snow in the driveway sometimes before I go out.

Hardly anyone had all wheel drive cars until the last few years. Grew up in Eagle River with 2WD cars and trucks 50+ years ago to current and never had issues, with the exception of radial tires made a big differance in overall traction verses the old Bias Ply tires.

People have gotten spoiled.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 PM

2,171 posts, read 2,894,336 times
Firstly, Thank You for having a realistic plan, an education and information that will all be useful to you in making the transition to becoming a productive Alaskan.

The box truck: You will be a year or two too late for me, but I've been keeping my eye out for a box truck to move some must keep business stuff out of state. You might look into the Isuzu NPR type box diesels. Our research shows that they have pretty decent mileage, not much worse than our SUV and that engine is pretty bullet proof. There are thousands of those trucks running around Anchorage in use by many small and medium sized businesses and when they do occasionally show up on Craigslist, if reasonably priced, they go in the blink of an eye.

The car: Your 2WD car should be fine especially with a support vehicle along the trip. If you don't have studded tires, get a set of chains (just in case) if you go in snow season. In the summer or shoulder seasons, it will be no problem at all.

Personal items: FWIW, I agree with the others about most of the "stuff" that is hauled over the road. Forget furniture unless it's something you can't live without or a family piece that you can't leave with family and even then I'd think twice about it. Take a hard look at clothes, pots and pans, dishes, books etc. All of it can be replaced here on the second hand market for pennies on the dollar. For everyone moving in, there are folks moving out with their nearly new stuff that they aren't taking with them. Good tools, bedding, and some specialty items related to work or avocations are harder to replace so those should probably come along.

Sounds like you have your eyes wide open. Best of luck with your plan and welcome.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 AM

90 posts, read 131,149 times
Thanks for all the information. Well our plan is to really downsize from all the clutter we have now. I think we will be looking for a rather small box truck because there are certain things we will want to take. We wont want to sell off ALL our stuff. Probably take our bed and frame, couches, TV and stand and fill the rest with my wifes clothes and shoes....joke....kinda. We do have 3 cats that will make the journey, so hopefully we can set a small section in the truck so they can do their business and what not. And by the sounds of it, our little car could make in alaska? We wouldnt be driving it up if thats the case, we would just tow it behind the truck. But after we are there.....somewhere on the peninsula hopefully, it would survive and be driveable on the roads up there? Luckily its paid for - thanks cash for clunkers. So being able to keep it would be a nice plus, i just assumed it wouldnt be so good on the roads.

As far as a job, i have no desire to go through another "bootcamp"/academy again to become certified as a police officer in alaska. Done that...not so fun. Im just not entirely sure on what i want i would do, ive found its hard to even search for jobs because so many places want to hire from residents of the state which is understandable.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM

11,970 posts, read 10,760,301 times
Call some places for jobs, and show up and chat. Most people here have time to talk and they like to do so. Stretch your legs around towns, have a cup of joe with the locals and ask questions. If you are sitting in front of them you are HERE. People here like people who show up otherwise it might as well be Botswana. You will be surprised how much they like you. A cheap airfare trip first can give you peace of mind and get you seen. We like seeing people.

Do what you wish and bring what you want on your trip here. It's a job. Either have one or be able to get one quickly. It aint cheap here.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,906,849 times
sell everything and drive up. Do not bring your furniture with you.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,272,823 times
Yea, I second not bringing the tv with you (or couch or bed either unless they are somehow special).

Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,381,201 times
It must depend on the area you live in. I found furniture such as beds, very expensive on the Kenai.....an good furniture from garage sales in Kenai Peninsula are few and far between. I have been told by people who live in Anchorage and above (Wazilly, Eagle) it is easy to buy second hand and a good selection from people moving out. Also did not find any good kitchen items as far as quality knives, small appliances, cookware etc.

Last edited by blueflames50; 08-29-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,165,472 times
We bought cookware, and brought knives, etc... with...but furniture no problem, I think you were up in the height of tourist time,...wait until fall or winter when people are looking to leave...good deals abound...Just saying what we saw in 2 years through the year....

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 AM

90 posts, read 131,149 times
Well the problem im think ill be having is finding jobs to even call to set up an interview with. At the current time i dont know what ill be wanting to do exactly, other than stayin in the criminal justice field, not being a police officer though. I need a little more flexibility and a little less in dealing with people. Only time will tell. Im still debating on how/what to take. I know that the things we will take even at bare minimum would never fit in one car with myself,wife and cats. Not sure what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or