U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM

11,970 posts, read 10,778,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa7786 View Post
Well the problem im think ill be having is finding jobs to even call to set up an interview with. At the current time i dont know what ill be wanting to do exactly, other than stayin in the criminal justice field, not being a police officer though. I need a little more flexibility and a little less in dealing with people. Only time will tell. Im still debating on how/what to take. I know that the things we will take even at bare minimum would never fit in one car with myself,wife and cats. Not sure what to do.
After you figure it out it's easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 21,378 times
Ship everything and drive.

The first time we made the trip we took a uhaul and it cost a fortune. My wife and I did it 7 more times (3 of those moving) and shipped everything except our camping gear and camera and had a great trip every time.

We're on tract to do it again this year and wouldn't do it any differently.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 AM

90 posts, read 131,315 times
Well im thinkin paying to ship everything through a company would end up costing as much as a 5k box truck that I could just sell back pretty easy. Im no expert though. People with experience shipping their items from the East Coast to Alaska here? Approximate costs?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 AM

14 posts, read 21,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa7786 View Post
Well im thinkin paying to ship everything through a company would end up costing as much as a 5k box truck that I could just sell back pretty easy. Im no expert though. People with experience shipping their items from the East Coast to Alaska here? Approximate costs?
Pallets thru yellow freight from Anchorage to Burlington, VT were about $1 per pound in 2001. Our 2 bedroom house came in at about 2,500 lbs.

I'm sure prices have gone up since, but it's way cheaper than uhaul. Buying a truck or trailer and selling is also an option.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Well 2 years later our plan is practically in place. My wife has a few job leads as do I. We have purchased a truck, sold the car, and also purchased a nice 6x12 trailer to pull behind us which we have insulated. We are selling alot of our things and the rest will go in to our trailer and truck. We have an itinerary in place which is going to allow us to sight see on the way. Right now our drive takes us from Virginia to Chicago, Minneapoilis, Sioux Falls, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Galcier Natl Park, Calgary, Jasper/Banff Natl parks, Dawson Creek, Muncho Lake, Whitehorse, Tok and finally Anchorage. These are our anticipated stopping points and we are allowing at LEAST 2 weeks to drive up and we plan to camp as much as we can along the way to save on costs. Past that once we arrive in Anchorage we plan to find a motel to stay in for a few days while we search for a place to live.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. We are looking to leave here anywhere from July 12th - 26th. Couple of job leads depends on when we leave.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM

203 posts, read 271,292 times
Welcome
Are you able to camp in your truck or were you planning on tent camping? Hotels are on the summer rate about $220. and up.

dennis

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Both. I think we will be able to sleep in the bed of the truck and tent camp.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 PM

31 posts, read 91,787 times
Sounds like a great plan. A pick-up pulling an enclosed trailer is a good way to move a small residence. Sell the trailer on this side after you settle. Don't know how you feel about the prison biz, since you have a criminal justice background. Always lots of jobs at the correctional center in Seward and the new Goose Creek correctional facility may open someday in the Valley. Register at Workplace Alaska. That's where all the SOA jobs are posted.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 AM

339 posts, read 468,018 times
Are you still planning on the Kenai? There were some cabins to rent down by Soldatna, last I heard. Search their Craigslist for rental leads. Other than that it is ideal camping time, while you house hunt. If you go through Tok at meal time stop in at the Grumpy Grizz, its at the corners and has GREAT food for a good price. There's some good stuffed wildlife at the All-Alaskan gift shop and The gift shop and cabins on the far side of the post office is owned by one of the first groups of Iditerod runners. He has a kennel, still, and loves to tak. lol Miss Tok there are some really great people there. Enjoy your trip because once you are up there you may not come back down again, atleast not driving.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,208,092 times
If you could get a camper shell for the back of your pick-up you could easily stay in the back there with sleeping pads. Will save you $$$ on motels.

There are cheaper hostels in which to stay in Anchorage, Talkeetna, Nilichik, Homer, Seward, etc. for your information.

Please keep us posted as to your travels & job hunt! Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or