U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM

90 posts, read 131,221 times

Advertisements

Yea we already have a camper shell for the trunk as well and we do plan on using it as much as possible. Something we are wondering about is when we go to sight see on our drive up, what are we going to do with the 2 cats we have. But i think the only option is to really get a hotel room somewhere for a few hrs.

Last edited by paintballa7786; 06-22-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

6,909 posts, read 11,697,305 times
Leave the cats in the back of the truck. Just crack the window a little so they get some air. Or you could always let them free range while you sight see.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 AM

339 posts, read 467,559 times
Unless you want your kitties to become "lunch" or get lost, free ranging is not a good option. But they should be fine in your truck with a cracked window some water and the litter box

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,868,097 times
I would leave your cats with friends, family, or paid kennel and have them shipped over after you are settled. Everyone I've known who has tried a long trip like this with cats has a horror story to go along with it, sometimes including showing up with no cats.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 7,222 times
Hey paintballa, I've been reading your posts about moving up to AK from VA. I'm currently in Charlottesville, and would love to do it someday (soon, I hope) too. Are you guys on the road?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Not yet. We are almost ready to go. We just have to finish packing everything up and paint the house and load it all up. Times getting closer and we are super excited to get everything under way. I got another job prospect who asked for me to call them when I get up for an interview.

I know driving up with our cats is not ideal but I couldnt leave them with anyone else and ship them. My cats are pretty calm natured and I hope to have them settle in to a routine after a while. We will probably also get some sedatives just in case things dont work as well as we hope.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 PM

339 posts, read 467,559 times
I have travelled with 1 cat and a dog, never "cats", and have not had a problem. I put a harness on the cat, the cat was not a fan of it at first, and once he got used to it we walked him at all our stops. Its not ideal but pats are family and DO NOT get left behind. I made that mistake once and never got the animal back. Bad friends.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,968,254 times
I think it depends on the animal and the situation, when deciding whether it's best to take them along on a major move or not. I had two dogs when I decided to move to AK, but I left one of them with a family member who knew and liked him and wanted another dog. I miss him, but realistically the drive up with him in the vehicle would have been unadulterated misery for both human and dogs, and his dumb butt probably would have been bear food within a month of arrival anyway.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,202,175 times
We have traveled to & from Alaska with cats- we have a medium-size dog cage for the backseat of the truck. We make sure to give water. Then hotel rooms for at night. No problems except the one time Mr Cat climbed up into the springs of the bed to hide. Now we stuff hiding spots with pillows.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM

We may not always have the luxury of having a hotel room everynight. Probably less than half the time actually.... but we will be camping and sleeping in the bed of the truck. But the cats will have to sleep in the cab of the truck and just suck it up i suppose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or