U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 AM

16,047 posts, read 15,931,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps not, but nowadays over 45% of the kids barely finish HS. The rest drop-out for numerous reasons (pregnancy, drug use, broken homes, abuse, lack of parenting, and so forth). You won't believe the number of students that can't handle college math and just hang around liberal arts, language, history, etc. At the same time, there are a few quite bright students,some close to geniuses (I have known several in the past few years). But in general, the brightest students are from Asia, India, etc. We have quite a lot of engineers from Asia and India completing their Masters at UAF.

In the case of Bristol, she isn't doing anything that any other kid wouldn't do (dancing on TV) and being paid for it. I can only wish her my best, just like I would do for any young person who can or do things like that. Who knows what life will bring to her?
Ray, I certainly don't begrudge Bristol her moments in the pop culture spotlight and I hope that it brings her the monetary rewards that as a single parent she is surely going to need. I hope that she uses the money wisely and I even hope that she takes a (just) little bit of it and totally blows it on something stupid and fun.

But I wonder what happened to her college classes that she was supposedly taking as well as the PR firm she started. Of course people of her age try on different things so I won't refer to her as a quitter like her mother but...

what I'm saying is that if she were my daughter I'd caution her against allowing the limelight be her guiding force....that seems to be a family trait and probably not the best road to follow.

And...

Quote:
You won't believe the number of students that can't handle college math and just hang around liberal arts, language, history, etc.
As a math professor's daughter, why on earth wouldn't I believe that?

But with a little time and attention, any idjit can get through the requisite college math. A few of the other countries are outdoing us because their cultures haven't yet managed to destroy the collective attention span of their offspring and because their values don't put participation in pop media as anything remotely near the top of the list of worthy goals.

Nothing wrong at all with history, languages, et al, by the way. My own son is fluent in several languages.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-04-2010 at 02:16 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 02:10 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,509,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This season looks pretty good to me. I will especially enjoy seeing David Hasselhoff, Margaret Cho, Florence Henderson and Bristol too.
David Hasselhoff...I wonder if he will come drunk off his azz or sober and will he leave his daughter at home that suffered through seeing her drunk father on the floor trying to eat a hamburger...good stuff, fame.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:12 AM

OMFG I'm totally rethinking getting a new flat screen for my winter place. Think I'll pass.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 AM

13,017 posts, read 14,420,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OMFG I'm totally rethinking getting a new flat screen for my winter place. Think I'll pass.
No, no! Buy an LCD or plasma flat screen. They are cheaper than ever now, and will be even cheaper when 3-D screens are produced by Toshiba and others. Get one around 50" plus a BlueRay player. Such a player with a smaller screen does not work well, but you can tell the difference on a large screen.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:02 AM

Ray, I ain't buying no freakin' new TV. Modern pop culture makes me absolutely ill. I've got the entire collection of Bonanza on DVD to keep me entertained this winter when I need a break from rattling you wingnut idjits' cages here on CD.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 AM

13,017 posts, read 14,420,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray, I ain't buying no freakin' new TV. Modern pop culture makes me absolutely ill. I've got the entire collection of Bonanza on DVD to keep me entertained this winter when I need a break from rattling you wingnut idjits' cages here on CD.
You got it all wrong, Met A flat screen can be used for one's home theatre. My wife and I never go to the theatre to watch movies. We just buy the movies we like, and watch them at home. We just don't watch TV. In fact, we don't even have cable because TV is a waste of time. But it makes a huge difference if you want to watch your favorite movie, or just to display your photos on a large screen if that's what you want.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You got it all wrong, Met A flat screen can be used for one's home theatre. My wife and I never go to the theatre to watch movies. We just buy the movies we like, and watch them at home. We just don't watch TV. In fact, we don't even have cable because TV is a waste of time. But it makes a huge difference if you want to watch your favorite movie, or just to display your photos on a large screen if that's what you want.
I have two flat screens here, TVO, satellite TV, Netflix, blah blah freakin' blah and no time or interest to watch any of it. The only good thing I've seen on TV here in years was on June 3rd, 2009, when I turned the stupid thing on on a whim and there was SP running from her responsibilities as Governor of Alaska like the rat that she is deserting a sinking ship.

At my home in Oregon I have a little TV with a DVD player and a box full of Bonanza DVDS and that's all I need. When I want to watch the OSU games I'll go down to the Moose Lodge and have the niece pick me up afterwards in the event that the game runs into overtime and I'm forced to partake of more tasty beverages than is wise to have if driving.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:29 AM

10,165 posts, read 5,029,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
David Hasselhoff...I wonder if he will come drunk off his azz or sober and will he leave his daughter at home that suffered through seeing her drunk father on the floor trying to eat a hamburger...good stuff, fame.
I don't care, I like Hasselhof............and being an alcoholic is not limited to the famous.

He is fighting his alcoholism........I give him credit.......he is trying.

Did you see his "roast" recently? Both of his daughters were there, it seems they love and support their father, even though he is an alcoholic. He must have done something right. He also sang on his roast, I had never heard him sing before........he was really good.

Alcoholism is a disease........it doesn't mean you are a bad person.

I loved Knight Rider because of the bantering between Hasselhof and Kitt {the car}.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,812,856 times
Bristol chats with Jay Leno.

Bristol Palin talks 'Dancing' and break-up on Leno: 'I'm not disappointed. I'm not heartbroken.' | EW.com

I hope all the voters of Wasilla ignore the cheap shots Bristol levied at Levi. Here's a man who has nothing to hide. Mr. Johnston has shown all of Wasilla his Johnson. He's laid out the bare facts about himself and that's rare in politics today.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,121,339 times
Sweet... Let's hope the RNC depletes their budget again buying her dresses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska