Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:25 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times

Advertisements

Since you're driving up in the summer I wouldn't spend much time on winterizing your vehicles until you get here. Basic maintenance like an oil change is more important. Unless you're planning to live off the beaten path there is also very little need for studded tires on a 4WD. An all season tire works well here and you don't have to change tires out twice per year.

Winterization takes on different meanings depending on where you live in the state. Anchorage rarely gets colder than -20 and even that doesn't happen often. I think the coldest average month is in the single digits and above zero. Fairbanks is a totally different area and -30 is common in the winter.

Remote starts are nice but I would wait to have one of those installed up here as well. The businesses that do that up here install dozens every year and are pretty good at it. I would rather pay a few extra bucks and have them do it rather than having someone do it that only installs one per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 919 times
Default moving advice

I live in Chicago and i searched high and low for someone that legitimately would pack my stuff and move everything. I'm pretty lazy so there was no other option. I tried movers.com not bad service but just had to wait for phone calls from people that wanted money. I used www.moverslookup.com was alot better, i had my choice of which company I wanted to use and I could see all of the different services they offered. In all moving is a pretty grueling process so when making your decision for a moving company, use a creditable source not that craigslist crap. good luck.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo40 View Post
I live in Chicago and i searched high and low for someone that legitimately would pack my stuff and move everything. I'm pretty lazy so there was no other option. I tried movers.com not bad service but just had to wait for phone calls from people that wanted money. I used moverslookup.com - The quickest way to find a moving company. was alot better, i had my choice of which company I wanted to use and I could see all of the different services they offered. In all moving is a pretty grueling process so when making your decision for a moving company, use a creditable source not that craigslist crap. good luck.
And you are a 1-shot poster advertising whom? to AK?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
We would definitely wait to get our vehicles winterized until getting up there.....I can just see the mechanics around here giving me the "you wanna what put on your truck?" look when I asked for a block heater! We are looking at the Kenai Peninsula area to move to, but it will really depend on where I can land a nursing job. We have subscribed to the Peninsula Clarion newspaper, which has been helpful and entertaining! It is really good for real estate ads also. Speaking of real estate, how do you all keep your pipes from freezing in the winter? I have always wondered that for cold climates. We have to leave our cabinet doors open when it gets down to 10 degrees around here. Thanks so much for all the posts. You all are most helpful! I think the CD senior members should get together and write a how-to book on moving to Alaska....you all might be able to make a little money and help a lot of people along the way. You guys certainly have the knowledge base. You could sell it with a copy of the Milepost and make a nice profit!!! Just sayin'......

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Default Decision is made!

Yippee! We are no longer just looking into the possibility of moving to Alaska, we have decided to make the move once we sell our house in TN. Of course, that will happen much faster once we put it on the market Gotta do a little "curb appeal" work first. Wow, I gotta say the task of downsizing our "stuff" is a little daunting. That's ok, I am sure we have plenty of time since the housing market is less than optimal at the moment. Here's the plan: Sell the house, purchase toy hauler RV, get RN job in Alaska, find rental place in Alaska, pack up essential belongings, do preventive maintenance and get new tires on both trucks, map out route to Alaska using Milepost, drive to Alaska (camping along the way), arrive at new home and get started on new life! Does this sound realistic as long as we have passports, no DUI's, no criminal record etc.? I have tried to find out about carrying firearms across Canada, and I found the site that has the forms and details, but still cannot find whether it is $25 fee per firearm or $25 no matter how many you are transporting as long as they are listed on form. Does anyone know this info? Thank you!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
How you liking Florida?

When I was young my Dad was transferred to Atlantic Beach (outside Jacksonville), I must say it was not a place I enjoyed. But, there are people who do enjoy it, obviously.
So far we're liming it plenty. Having had much time to settle in with the kids starting school, moving to a new town and having a 40 minute commute each way. lol

The kids are liking their school just fine and like most schools, they hit the fundraisers hard this time of year. Unfortunately we don;t know anybody down here so I have to hit up my office mates. I got a feeling I'll be buying more than I care to from these catalogs.

Food is way cheaper down here and the kids get a kick out of trying different restaurants they have never been to before. We have a pool in the backyard and again, the kids pretty much live in it (although I had to add water to it last night and forgot to turn it off.... didn't realize it until this morning).

Its strange that sunshine, palm trees, pools and beaches are the norm now. We picked up 2 year passes to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island (water park). Been to the water park twice and it closes it October. Figure we'll hit up Busch Gardens when its cooler outside since they are open all year. Went to a Rays Baseball game and saw Train after the game. Family enjoyed it.

Planning on going on a cruise early part of next year using our Florida Resident discount and possibly a run to Disney World for a weekend for Christmas.

Totally missing our friends and family though and am chomping at the bit to get a boat. Boat's are way cheaper here than in Alaska and thinking we're going to pick one up as an X-Mas present for the family.

It rains almost once a day which was surprising to me. But I hear its rainy season. Highs have been in the mid 90's and lows in the mid-high 70's. Not too bad, but I am looking forward to it cooling off a bit during the day. I was on my phone and saw Anchorage was 45 degrees about an hour ago.... that just sounds cold now-a-days. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska