U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,816,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Other than the North Slope Borough (oil and gas), and fisheries, what other money-spinning ventures are out there in the bush? Please.
Please indeed! Get yourself a history book! Try starting by reading Bancroft's "History of Alaska". Then find a few modern histories, such as those written by Claus Naske. Gold, oil, timber, fish, fur... all of it has always come from the bush. The urban centers skim. You, sir, are a drag on us!

But we aren't calling for the demise of urban areas, because we realize they are an enabler. Without them, we can't extract the money. The problem is that you and many other urbanites think you can do well without us. For example the US Post Office has decided that the urban offices are "revenue generators" but bush locations are not. They actually want to close down and/or contract out bush post offices based on that determination. They don't seem to realize that the only reason Anchorage businesses go to the Post Office and spend money is because someone in bush Alaska called them on the telephone and ordered something! Urban offices are not the revenue generators, they are the collection agents. The revenue is generated by the bush.

The telecommunications industry had much the same concept at one time. Along came "Equal Access" in the Lower-48, which more or less forced it on Alaska. It was hilarious too. GCI was formed and they spent years trying to figure out how to get a piece of the pie. They forced something called "rate integration" onto the franchised carrier, Alascom. Alascom fought tooth and nail in courts to delay it. They lost. it was a 12 year program... and by the 6th year the tables had turned! Alascom was in court requesting that they just jump to the and of the schedule and be done with it, and GCI was protesting wildly! Why? Every time they cut the intra-Alaska rates the revenues went up by more than enough to make up the difference. (GCI bit the bullet, bought all the cable TV and fiber optics they could get their hands on... and Alascom stayed with their quaint old school telephone company ways and blew away in the wind to never be heard from again. One of the primary reasons GCI has been so successful is that they are actively serving the bush.)

Quote:
My experience with bush Alaska is limited to the villages of Hughes, Galena, Koyukuk, Allakaket, Nulato, Kaltag, Kobuk, Kivalina, Shishmaref, Bettles, Unalakleet, Wiseman, Eagle, Eagle Village, Chicken, Dot Lake, Tanacross, Mentasta, Circle, Stevens Village, Livengood, Minto, and the Brooks Range, Alaska Range, oil storage facility at Drift River, Kustatin Wildlife Refuge, and...and...I forgot some. Yup, limited experience.
Okay, so you admit you haven't got a freaking clue! Did you spend 1 day or 1 week in those villages? Ask Warptman how impressed he is? Do you think his list is that small?

And none of that makes any difference. Tell me now long you have actually lived in a bush location? I don't give a darn about even six month visits, unless you've lived in a village at least 2 years (and I think most people take about 5 years to even start learning)..

Quote:
Certainly the bush could be more self-reliant if the Federal gov't would convey more land to the state.
Sounds good, but I totally disagree, as most bush people do. Try telling me how that would make anyone self-reliant? Tell me how it would help urban Alaska become self reliant, because that is more needed.

Quote:
Oh, I remember now: Umiat, Prudhoe Bay, Happy Valley, Chandalar, Cold Foot, the Yukon, Fortymile, Tanana, Chena, Chatanika, Salcha, Sagavanirktok and Putuligayuk Rivers; Berry Creek, the many tributaries of the Tanana, Yukon, and Fortymile. Hmm, what else?
If you wanted to impress me with your list, you've failed. Visiting places you don't understand (with the possible exceptions of Prudhoe, Happy Valley, Chena, Chatanika and Drift River) doesn't get you any brownie points with me at all.

Tell me you can actually pronounce Kongiganak and just come close to pronouncing Kwigillingok and I will be impressed!
Rate this post positively

Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
So, a wolf on Federal land is different from a wolf on state land? What if the Federal wolf walks OUT OF the Federal land and ON TO state land? Then what happens?
The short answer is that very obviously there is a huge difference... which is apparent in the vastly different regulations concerning wolves on State as opposed to Federal land.

Quote:
Same with trees. Do the trees on BLM land in, say, the Beaver Creek Management area differ from the trees just outside the Beaver Creek Management area? Do they need to be managed by two separate gov't bureaucracies?
Back rationalizing ignorance, aren't you!

Why do the trees have to be different to have different management systems? All they need to be is distinctly individual, even if in all other respects they are the same. It would be a duplication if two agencies managed the same set of trees, but that doesn't happen. (Note that I didn't complain about using the term "duplicity" before, but lets switch to the right term. It isn't "duplicity" it is "duplication".)

Quote:
No, we need to eliminate gov't duplicity. I know that it is a BIG idea, but revolutionary ideas are often that way.
I prefer honest government too! :-) I also don't like to see government duplication, and to be honest I just don't see much of that between the Feds and the State here in Alaska. But you seem to think we can somehow double to work load on State employees, or double the work done by State agencies, all without any consequences. That's not a rational approach so solving any problems we've mentioned yet.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
So, what policies are you talking about that will destroy the ability of bush people to make a living?
People who start conversations by telling us it is too expensive to educate our children, and then move on to saying we are not self sustaining, and end up claiming the only way to save us is building roads, drilling in Refuges, cutting down every tree, and allowing mines to poison our lakes and stream are folks that we want to keep an eye on. They can't be trusted.

Quote:
Road to Nome?
Good start! Pick the dumbest idea that you can and ignore all of the abject stupidity involved!

Haven't you yet figured out why with all the oil money the only road built was to the 100 plus billion dollars worth of oil? Has it not been apparent that the oil was discovered before the road was built, not the other way around, and that absolutely nothing else has been "developed" along that particular road.

Deadhorse is not exactly a thriving metropolis filled with families and overflowing with wealthy entrepreneurs who hit the big time there? Do you know why that is?

When you find a $100 billion industry in Nome, a road will be built. Good luck...

Quote:
Pebble Mine? Well, yes, digging an open pit mine could damage the headwater streams that feed into Bristol Bay. But, there are ways to mine sustainably; Fort Knox hasn't destroyed Fairbanks yet. I was around for the dire predictions about the TAPS and oil/gas development on the North Slope.
If there are ways to mine "sustainably", you'd best start telling someone because you'll be fabulously wealthy over night.

Drive up the Steese to the Fort Knox mine and just look at what you see along the way! The same can be seen in other places that have been mined around Fairbanks. Go visit Ester Dome! Ask about the sustainable mining there...
Quote:
Come on, Floyd. Please discuss ideas; please stop trying to shoot the bearer of opinions different from yourself.
Oh, now you want to try that whine on me! It won't fly. I don't call you names, I just point out the imbecilic logic in everything you say, and let people find their own "names" for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yes it is projection. I support Miller, thus, she projects that I support every idea floated by Sarah Palin.

She isn't projecting any such thing from what Palin or Miller have said. She's been reading what you are saying, and pointing out that it is equally dumb whether it comes from Palin, Miller, or you. She of course is precisely correct, it is.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM

109 posts, read 144,091 times
I'm certain I'm one of the newer folks around these forums, only been reading for a few months and posting even less (though I'm capable of DMing what seems like a thousand questions, trust me). I am however of an age where I'm inclined not to jump to quick conclusions, so having the initial reaction of "Does every Teak thread have drama in it?" I decided to do a bit of forum digging to support/refudiate (sorry, I couldn't resist!) my impressions, both positive and otherwise, which I draw only from post history:

1) Teak has a fair grasp of economics, particularly in the market realm as relates to retirement.

2) Teak doesn't seem to rely solely on CNN to provide all political information, there seems to be some critical thinking going on there. The results of that thinking, well, each of us have our own political views.

3) Teak has, by self admission, been working, been living, been a Malaysian in all but passport for the better part of the last 15+ years. This would, theoretically, make Teak only marginally more capable of making informed Alaskan observations based on residential precedent than I am, having NEVER lived there. While not making said observations worthless, they hold little more inherent (read: personal experience) value than anyone elses, and potentially LESS value (or at the least dated value, from a been-there-done-that perspective) than anyone who's lived in Alaska since, say, Johnnie Cochran used the wookie defense for OJ. In short the "I'm an Alaskan so I know what I'm talking about" validity began wearing thin after "Gangsta's Paradise" disappeared off the music charts. Just sayin.

4) Teak, in a word, strikes me as disputatious. Arguing for argument's sake. At least in this venue we can indeed choose to follow Teak's advice and "stay out of my threads." To play my own devil's advocate, one might say "Don't buy a rooster if you can't stand to hear it crow."

Also, every time I read these "ToS! ToS!" posts I can't help but think of the Monty Python HG skit "Help, help, I'm being repressed!" Hopefully any insights I may have attempted to provide in a (arguably) humorous fashion are taken for their relative value (or lack of, your mileage may vary) and not just summarily dismissed under the "I'm more Alaskan than you" ruleset. If anything here were to actually be construed as a "personal attack" I might be inclined to suggest developing heightened sensitivity in the ulnar nerve as it crosses the back of your elbow. Please keep your arms and legs in the post until the monologue comes to a complete stop. Thank you for flying IwannabeAlaskan Airlines.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not endorsing anyone's political or economic views here. Each to their own. Just don't try to tell me what mine are either.

Last edited by Sapperdoc; 09-14-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Clarity!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM

941 posts, read 1,567,959 times
Quote:
I am going to ask you once again, politely, to stop making personal attacks. There is no point in name-calling. If you cannot make sensible posts in this thread, I suggest that you not read my remarks since they anger you so much. You are clearly NOT abiding by the City-Data terms of service.

I have asked legitimate questions and some posters have supplied sensible replies.
I questioned this person's literate abilities since as the OP on this thread it appears the OP can't retain all that is contained within a post and it therefore becomes, by default; a personal attack upon the OP since many of us seem to have a poor opinion of the OP. Lets see if this is right: The definition of Literate is as follows: a: Educated, Cultured, b: able to read and write and then versed in literature or creative writing: Literary: Lucid: Polished: having knowledge or competence in subjects such as being <politically literate>

I also asked if TUCK needed more? Now tuck is a personal attack upon the person's id; Lets see could it be Friar Tuck who fought so bravely at Robin Hood's side? Or might I be referring to some feminine quality such as a tuck in a dress? Or maybe it was a Palienese where I was thinking 'tuck it up where the sun don't shine? Or maybe I didn't follow his unsolicited advice and stop reading his posts? Which action is actually a waste of my time and is possibly the first rational discourse that the OP has placed on this thread.

Lets see he called some of my previous posts 'rants' but that doesn't say that part of his answer was literate. I then compared him to Yogi who is a known purveyor of classic English Prose. But probably the worst offense I committed was to call the OP an ORACLE which of course was a fatal flaw: In Classical Antiquity, an oracle was a person or agency considered to be a source of wise counsel or prophetic opinion, predictions or precognition or the future, inspired by the gods. As such it is a form of DIVINATION.

For this high crime, bordering on treason, I apologize to all members of CD because I inadvertently proclaimed the OP to be nothing short of a GOD. Now I understand Divination is making the OP omnipotent and incapable of making a judgmental error in his use of words or speech,

That might be offensive and of considerable magnitude since, if it appears as such to the OP, we all share an equal amount of said guilt because we did post on his thread, or read some of these equally God like utterances, and failed miserably to appease his inflated ego. ROFLMAO Imagine ''methinks he doth protest tooooooo much!!!!"

By the way the OP has about 40% of all the posts on this thread and all of them are taking other posters to task for failing to appreciate how highly he regards all of his semi literate posts. By way of full disclosure the above is my own opinion. IMHO

Last edited by richelles; 09-14-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,325,242 times
Thanks for all the rep points folks, I had this dirtbag pegged from day-one here...

Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,536,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Thanks for all the rep points folks, I had this dirtbag pegged from day-one here...

You certainly don't mince words. You're as frank as frank can be.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,385,772 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska