Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,028 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Ketchikan from Seward, but have a few questions.

1. Is there any area to ride 4-wheel ATVs and dirtbikes?
2. What about Snowmachines (I figure there is)
3. Any places (freshwater) that one can use a jet-ski or a small boat?
4. Are there any national, chain-type of stores or restaraunts? (Fred Meyers, Taco-bell, Sears, etc)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM

26,484 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghouck View Post

4. Are there any national, chain-type of stores or restaraunts? (Fred Meyers, Taco-bell, Sears, etc)

1. Seems like there are plenty of places to go four wheeling.

2. Ketch isn't really snow machine country. Some winters we get literally no snow here in SE.

3. Not really.

4. Walmart and McD's and the like.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
1. Seems like there are plenty of places to go four wheeling.

2. Ketch isn't really snow machine country. Some winters we get literally no snow here in SE.

3. Not really.

4. Walmart and McD's and the like.
Cool, well, #1 is cool anyways. I'm not that into snow machining anyways, so no big deal.

Also, what's the crime situation? I've had ATVs stolen from me in Seward, but figured it wouldn't be as bad in Katchikan, since it'd be harder to get them out of town (I'm guessing).

I've heard also there is quite the drug problem in K, any truth to that? I could care less about neighbors smoking weed and such (I don't), but don't want to be around coke-heads, meth-heads, etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM

26,484 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Meth is a problem and with that comes the usual idjits with their usual petty and not so petty crimes. Just don't leave anything lying around and you should be fine.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,603,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghouck View Post

Most people go out to Whipple Creek.
Limited
Why? When you have a butt load of saltwater to use them in?
WalMart, McDonalds, Subway, mini-Sears.

Make sure you have a good job and cheap housing lined up first. Or you'll hate it there.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks, I don't plan on moving there unless I've secured the job. As for jet-ski in the saltwater, Seem like the cold of the ocean would take some of the fun out of it. Is there a decent, relatively secure stash-n-store type of thing there? I'll need a place to store an ATV or two if I can't find a rental with a garage or some kind or storage. Thanks for the info

Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,603,988 times
Yes, there are a couple of rental storage places. You'd be surprised how many people jet ski in the Tongass Narrows. I even saw a dude make it about 3/4's of the way across on a snow machine. He didn't even have to have the fire department rescue him. The snow machine now rests in Davy Jones footlocker.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,592 times
1. Yes. There are several areas.
2. Yes, I think there is an informal snow machine club. They drive up in the mountains where there is usually always snow in the winter. Some years are better than others but I have several Ketchikan friends with snow machines.
3. We have several small freshwater lakes. People do canoe and kayak in them but I've never seen a jet ski. Most people boat on the ocean.
4. Wal-Mart, Safeway, McDonalds, Taco Time, Subway, Godfather's Pizza, True Value Hardware store, Radio Shack.....tthhatt'ss alllll fffoollks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska