U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 PM

15,791 posts, read 15,125,084 times
Alaska Politics Blog : Murkowski keeps energy post | adn.com

Quote:
Her Energy committee post – of vital interest to Alaskans – was among her top achievements in the past several years and part of a swift ascent within the GOP leadership ranks.
Something tells me Mr. Miller ain't going to Washington anytime soon.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,762,062 times
Hi Met, yes it'll be awhile before Miller is sworn in. I think it's in January isn't it?

Seriously, I think Murkowski messed up if she didn't want Miller elected. She is not going to win and steals more votes from McAdams then from Miller. It's a big stretch and I would not have liked it but looking at the situation from a purely academic standpoint, if she had endorsed and campaigned with McAdams rather than running herself it would have been a real horse race with the advantage to McAdams.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Hi Met, yes it'll be awhile before Miller is sworn in. I think it's in January isn't it?

Seriously, I think Murkowski messed up if she didn't want Miller elected. She is not going to win and steals more votes from McAdams then from Miller. It's a big stretch and I would not have liked it but looking at the situation from a purely academic standpoint, if she had endorsed and campaigned with McAdams rather than running herself it would have been a real horse race with the advantage to McAdams.
Marty, I'm thinking that a lot of the voters will think that her retaining the energy committee post will be valuable enough reason to write her in. But I agree with you that those votes probably won't come primarily from Miller supporters (the ones he has left anyway after the nasty little business about the Kansas farm).

Damn. I should have stayed registered to vote here in Alaska so that I could experience first hand what it feels like to vote Republican.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM

On reflection, the thought of voting Republican makes me absolutely ill, so I'll just say that I don't think it's in Alaska's best interests to give up a senator that's on that particular committee, and the majority of the voters on all sides just may feel the same. I don't think that this election will be decided on traditional partisan grounds.

Interesting that the wing nut blogs were predicting that Lisa M. would be relieved of this committee post today; that it didn't happen shows an awful lot of faith in her on the part of her colleagues and gives me some small glimmer of personal hope that the Republican party still retains some degree of honor and won't be giving themselves wholly over to the tea party.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,321,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Interesting that the wing nut blogs were predicting that Lisa M. would be relieved of this committee post today; that it didn't happen shows an awful lot of faith in her on the part of her colleagues and gives me some small glimmer of personal hope that the Republican party still retains some degree of honor and won't be giving themselves wholly over to the tea party.
It was quite shocking to learn that they actually did the reasonable and right thing. I was ready to write off the Republican Party forever. My guess is that they are trying to hedge their bets on either outcome. You're right, it is a small (very small) glimmer of hope.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM

8,353 posts, read 11,420,485 times
People betting real money on this subject (Intrade) have the race pegged as follows today:

AK.SENATE2010.DEMDemocratic Party candidate to winM Trade15.126.920.0210-6.0\
AK.SENATE2010.REPRepublican Party candidate to winM Trade69.074.970.01150
AK.SENATE2010.OTHERAny other candidate to winM Trade10.116.329.910

Murcowski is the 10% candidate.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,529,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Murcowski is the 10% candidate.
You aren't helping her write-in cause.

FYI, I'll be in Anchorage the week of October 13th giving a seminar on how to correctly spell Murosky.

Cost is $175.00. That includes a can of soda and hot (all beef) dog.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM

898 posts, read 843,319 times
The recent past has shown this election is different in what it means to the different political forces involved. The week's TIME has three interesting articles which are a worthwhile read. The first one is entitled The Party of Palin and DeMint. The lead article is It's Tea Party Time followed by The New GOP Money Stampede. After reading the three I found I'm scared of the possible outcomes. The first article deals with the reasons for the differences in this cycle's election. The second and lead article deals with the revolt in the Republican Party and the third one covers the sources of money and the amounts that are being suggested. Our votes are being bought big time and for big bucks. This election here in Alaska is a contest of personalities and apparently it goes back to previous elections and the ongoing contest of wills. Is this about Alaska or about who needs to get even with who? Sarah Palin came out and endorsed Joe Miller over Lisa Murkowski and we all know who won there. I was talking to friend from Connecticut and he pointed out the Joe Lieberman election and thought it had similarities. I'm unsure what all the ramifications could be but it doesn't give me any comfort to think this is a nationwide happening.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM

I'm looking at land in Costa Rica. Between the Frankenfish and the Social Darwinists (most of whom don't even know what the theory means let alone that their own kind will be among the first to slip on the banana peel leading to the genetic graveyard--which in itself is the only bright spot--) I may as well leave the country.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM

457 posts, read 635,928 times
Write in or write not ! What a waste of time. Just more altered sillage for the masses of ignorant faithful to be distracted with.

Whats it gonna take sheople? You done--- addios style.

Go with the flow and massage the message and wake up in 3 years and say; 'What happened!!! ' .

Typical non thinkers, but Alaskans are more than that! Its beyond return . The otherside we dont know but you will be a victim , so much more.......etc..

Design a usa just for you ,, fools they are.....THINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska