U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:58 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,311,942 times

Advertisements

My point of anger in this is that no matter how hard they try, some will escape into the wild. I asked someone " what's next? 4 legged chickens for more drumsticks?"

I used one of my favorite quotes stolen from Jurasic Park and got a harsh glare.."Just because you can, do you really think you should?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,672,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Genetically mutated Krispy Kreme would suck!
NOOoooooo no messing with our Krispy Kreme's..... a revolt with loss of life would be necessary

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM

21,811 posts, read 27,926,461 times
Supposedly they are to be raised on inland fish farms which would pretty much eliminate the possibility of their actually escaping. My concern would be more along the lines of....around five percent of the eggs of these things will be fertile. Think about it.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,509,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Supposedly they are to be raised on inland fish farms which would pretty much eliminate the possibility of their actually escaping. My concern would be more along the lines of....around five percent of the eggs of these things will be fertile. Think about it.
One thing not being mentioned is they will be raised in fresh water inland, they will have no imprint on any stream coming out into the ocean, they are all females and we don't know anything about their behavior if they escape into the wild. There is a question about would they mate with a wild salmon?

My problems are with the genetic issues such as allergies and hormones and the effects on us as consumers of those fish.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM

21,811 posts, read 27,926,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
One thing not being mentioned is they will be raised in fresh water inland, they will have no imprint on any stream coming out into the ocean, they are all females and we don't know anything about their behavior if they escape into the wild. There is a question about would they mate with a wild salmon?

My problems are with the genetic issues such as allergies and hormones and the effects on us as consumers of those fish.
They'd behave like any other Atlantic salmon, which is more aggressively than any other kind; salmon eat each others' eggs. These things could probably wipe out entire runs in fairly short order if there were a lot of them on the loose.

They also tend not to die after they spawn, so who knows how big they'd eventually get...whether the spliced King salmon gene would stop at a normal King salmon size or just keep going. Either way, they'd be the biggest salmon out there. A while back a company in NZ did some genetic engineering that resulted in King salmon weighing over 500 pounds.

Atlantic salmon have mated with other salmon in laboratory conditions so it can be done.

Escape is probably not a great likelihood. It's some of the things that greedy idjits have done in the name of market competition that I find a bit disquieting. In other words, I should have qualified the word "escape" with the adjective "accidental".

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-21-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,145,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Genetically mutated Krispy Kreme would suck!
KK donuts are the most overrated donuts in the history of the universe. Dunkin' Donuts are better.

The best donuts I've ever had were at Zingerman's Bakehouse in Ann Arbor, MI.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,508,616 times
Krispy Kreme donuts are AWESOME! But you have to buy them fresh off the line in the KK stores, not the boxed up ones in supermarkets. However the best donuts are from the Moose is Loose Bakery in Soldotna.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,366,503 times
It wouldn't surprise me if any of them did 'escape' and wind up in the wild. I don't trust the people that push this and I don't trust Montsano at all. They have been taking people with unmodified, organic seed to court and winning. They want everything GM..and they're doing a pretty good job so far. It's disgusting.
Look up S.510 , FDA safety modernization act. then look up Agenda 21.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,672,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Krispy Kreme donuts are AWESOME! But you have to buy them fresh off the line in the KK stores, not the boxed up ones in supermarkets. However the best donuts are from the Moose is Loose Bakery in Soldotna.
OMG!! fresh Alaskan Salmon for the main meal then Moose is Loose Bakery apple fritter for dessert.....yummmmy! I left finger, nose and drool marks all over the Moose is Loose Bakery cases when I was there!! hahahaha

Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,665,390 times
In Hawaii we have been fight against the GMO....If they continue to push this company greed into our food sytem then label the dam thing as GMO.escape could do more damage to the wild runs then fishing....then pandoras box is opened...like in todays article ..next step improve the pig to be more enviromentally friendly manure.. excuse me I used to let pigs fertilize my garden to make it grow. I can't imagine the antibotics that would need to be placed in freash water farms. Whole idea is crazy and scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska