Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM

261 posts, read 502,679 times

Advertisements

Have any of you seen a film called "Food,Inc."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,902,113 times
Yes, I've seen Food, Inc. I've also watched Fast Food Nation and the Future of Food. Very chilling and disturbing. Even if some of it is totally consipiracy theory (and I'm not saying that it is or isn't), if even only a small portion of it is accurate, it's still enough to make you seriously look at that bag/box/can for a few minutes before sitting down to eat.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 PM

15 posts, read 33,057 times
The Monsanto seed are also genetically engineered to not reproduce the following year if seeds are saved so the small farmer is once again screwed because he has to pay Monsanto each year to buy his seeds.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,079,628 times
A Bit of Good news - Monsanto stock has dropped for a change...

Monsanto, the giant biotechnology agriculture company that created genetically modified corn, soybeans and herbicides, isn’t riding so high this year in the stocks department, as news comes in that its products aren’t working like they’d hoped.
According to the New York Times, weeds are becoming immune to Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup, and its latest genetically-modified, 8-gene corn is a flop, producing yields no higher than the company’s less expensive corn, which contains only three foreign genes.
Monsanto has already been forced to sharply cut prices on SmartStax and on its newest soybean seeds, called Roundup Ready 2 Yield, as sales fell below projections,” the Times said. “And the Justice Department is investigating Monsanto for possible antitrust violations.
“Until now, Monsanto’s main challenge has come from opponents of genetically modified crops, who have slowed their adoption in Europe and some other regions. Now, however, the skeptics also include farmers and investors who were once in Monsanto’s camp.”
Monsanto was named “company of the year” by Forbes Magazine in December. Last week, television stock market commentator Jim Cramer said it “may be the worst stock of 2010,” the Times said.

Good News

Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop View Post
The Monsanto seed are also genetically engineered to not reproduce the following year if seeds are saved so the small farmer is once again screwed because he has to pay Monsanto each year to buy his seeds.
does anyone know where "natural" seeds that can be grown then seed harvested for the next year can be bought??

Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM

109 posts, read 165,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
does anyone know where "natural" seeds that can be grown then seed harvested for the next year can be bought??
Try this site:

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I haven't ordered online from them, but I do live about an hour away, and I went down last spring and bought all my seeds this year from there (Bakersville). Place is real. Kind of a cool pioneer town thing going on out there too, once a month festival thing, though you're sort of not in tourist range! Good folks out there, they had lots of great advice for me. The watermelon/cant/squash plants were awesome (only thing I had room for in the ground this year in established garden soil due to my impending move, which was stupid in retrospect). Everything else did great as seedlings, but didn't take to containers too well. One of my "learning" garden years. No fault of the plants though. I'll be using them next year too!

I'm interested to talk to them about what would go well with me up to Alaska...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,251,434 times
Quote:
For what plants? Aside from hybrids, just about everything you can buy seeds for has harvestable seeds. The Terminator seed thing has been wildly overblown. What the greenies won't tell you is that Monsanto hasn't ever even tested that technology, much less actually sold it to farmers. Even if they did, it wouldn't affect most American farmers, who already buy new seeds every year because they primarily plant hybrid varieties anyways. Any effect on farmers in developing countries could be avoided through bans on the technology on a country-by-country basis, as Brazil and India have already done.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM

30 posts, read 67,974 times
Quote:
I have ordered from these companies:
Heirloom seeds, Open-pollinated seeds, Non-hybrid Seeds, Supplies, Gifts at the Main Catalog Page for VictorySeeds.com (http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/index.html - broken link) They have a variety of corn on this page called Yukon Chief developed in AK. My MIL planted some this year and had success with it, she lives in Wasilla.
Heirloom, Open Pollinated, Non-hybrid Corn Seed from Victory Seed Company

This company has whole garden and herb packs for sale we have ordered and their service was very quick:
Heirlooms Vegetable Seeds Tomato Carrots Lettuce Broccoli Herbs Organic Cauliflower Brussels Sprouts Basil Sage Eggplant Cabbage Squash

We ordered tobacco seeds from this company, but haven't planted them yet:
Non-Hybrid Open Pollinated Non-GMO Seed Packs | Heirloom Organics Seeds We liked the different packs they have put together, and the info on their site.

If you look for "non-gmo", heirloom or non-hybrid seeds, you'll find a lot of websites.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM

109 posts, read 165,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
For what plants? Aside from hybrids, just about everything you can buy seeds for has harvestable seeds. The Terminator seed thing has been wildly overblown. What the greenies won't tell you is that Monsanto hasn't ever even tested that technology, much less actually sold it to farmers. Even if they did, it wouldn't affect most American farmers, who already buy new seeds every year because they primarily plant hybrid varieties anyways. Any effect on farmers in developing countries could be avoided through bans on the technology on a country-by-country basis, as Brazil and India have already done.
While I agree that the "greenies" tend to scream blue bloody murder about how any potential modification to the plants/water/animals is potentially the "end of an ecosystem event," and not something I automatically subscribe to simply because it is "eco-friendly," neither will I patently accept "truth" from a gigantic business conglomerate accused of a myriad of misdealings internationally ranging from US antitrust violations to false advertising about the safety of their products... To darker (albiet thinly proven) accusations of "forced cross pollination" and the favorite of all massive corporations, "small farm/business death by extreme lawyer-tosis."

The bottom line is, as with most situations, regardless of the conflict, greenies/frankensalmonites, treehuggers/loggers, organic farmers/GMO lovers, or your 5 year old and your 3 year old... The truth is somewhere in the middle. Take the link I provide below with a grain of salt (it is only wikipedia after all), check their linked references at the bottom, and make up your own mind. I think you'll find that if the local bakery in your town practiced even 10% of the misdealings this seed giant is accused of, you'd not hesitate to buy your bread elsewhere. Hopefully for your sake your local bakery doesn't arrange financially for you to be unable to buy bread anywhere except from them. Because that is basically what Monsanto is trying to do to you. Control your options.

We've already proven (through real world experience!) that when we create antibiotics to limit or eliminate a pathogen, the pathogens potentially adapt, and we end up with stuff like MRSA. Now we have plant pathogens that are glyphosate resistant, which means that modifying them to be "Roundup Ready" is simply a waste of time, research, and money for everyone involved except the company that sold you the spray. This is just one example of course, but you get the point. We try to control the natural balance in our environment, and our environment tends to try and adapt beyond that control.

Screwing with genetics in an uncontrolled fashion (and my personal definition of uncontrolled is anything that isn't measured against the litmus of a human lifespan at the very least... Something our modern society has little patience for!), be it plant, animal, or human, is sort of like clearing a path through a minefield by running through it. Yeah, it works, but it isn't something you want to do all the time, or even attempt unless you absolutely have no other choice, because you only get to mess up once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup...modified_crops

Last edited by Sapperdoc; 10-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Got all yappy and forgot the link. Durr. Also, I fail at spelling corporate names, apparently.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
wow thanks AndreaW! wealth of info much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska