Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM

30 posts, read 68,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
wow thanks AndreaW! wealth of info much appreciated!
You're very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Damn, never looked at it that way. The frankensfish developers are doing it all out of altruism in order to feed the world and provide some cheap protein, got it.

Blue, the others are right, just look for non hybrid, heirloom seeds (hybrids actually do produce harvestable seeds but the offspring are weak and revert back to one of the parent plants). Territorial Seeds in Cottage Grove, Oregon, is one I use a lot.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Territorial Seeds is awesome! They do have several F-1 hybrids (first generation naturally cross-pollinated hybrids) that grow well because of hybrid vigor, but they don't usually breed true from seed in the second generation and revert to the parent. However, they also have a huge selection of non-hybrid, open-pollinated, heirloom and heritage seeds; as well as some hybrids that have been around so long that they are actually stable cultivars that will breed true.

Abundant Life is another group with a good selection, and they offer many cultivars adapted to northern climates and long photo-periods. Several varieties of siberian/russian OP veggies seem to grow here fairly well.

I was a bit dissapointed to see that so many of the seeds available from Denali Seed were F-1's. I guess they figure the Alaska challenges require hybrid vigor. I suppose there is a point, hybrids do tend to mature a little faster, and with our shorter growing season that would be important.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdoc View Post
Try this site:

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I haven't ordered online from them, but I do live about an hour away, and I went down last spring and bought all my seeds this year from there (Bakersville). Place is real. Kind of a cool pioneer town thing going on out there too, once a month festival thing, though you're sort of not in tourist range! Good folks out there, they had lots of great advice for me. The watermelon/cant/squash plants were awesome (only thing I had room for in the ground this year in established garden soil due to my impending move, which was stupid in retrospect). Everything else did great as seedlings, but didn't take to containers too well. One of my "learning" garden years. No fault of the plants though. I'll be using them next year too!

I'm interested to talk to them about what would go well with me up to Alaska...
Thanks for posting this. They're just under two hours from us. Seems like a perfect day trip for a first Monday. Will likely enhance our vegetable gardening as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Damn, never looked at it that way. The frankensfish developers are doing it all out of altruism in order to feed the world and provide some cheap protein, got it.
Who was talking about nonsense like altruism? Profit does not prevent other positive outcomes, though plenty of liberals like to pretend otherwise.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
(and increased availability of low-cost protein would certainly benefit lots of people)
Yeah, I'm sure that's part of the reason they're developing the frankenfish so that the food stamp crowd can finally afford salmon.

I was thinking about getting a license to accept food stamps next year, come to think of it but I suppose that would cause a bunch of conservatives to squawk about poor people buying luxury items on the taxpayer's dime.

Them profits are nasty things, yep, my liberal mind agrees with that one all the way to bank. Darn, you're a tough one to fool.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Profit does not prevent other positive outcomes, though plenty of liberals like to pretend otherwise.
You're as wrong about that as you were about the subdivisions cluttering up the mountains in Oregon.

It is possible to be socially responsible and still make a profit in business.

Some people really do have scruples but if I remember correctly you're the one who advocated lying to rental car companies and taking the cars out on gravel roads so I imagine that scruples may be a bit of a foreign concept for you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: fixed quote ;)

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
OT Met:

They're about to start bringing those miners in Chile up. During this ordeal, it has come to the attention of a few wives, that their husbands were carrying on affairs, so I'm sure the guilty ones will likely choose to come up last, if they choose to come up at all.

Now, if you want to see a few guys get rapped upside the head with an iron skillet, you should tune in. You too, Ray.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You're as wrong about that as you were about the subdivisions cluttering up the mountains in Oregon.

It is possible to be socially responsible and still make a profit in business.

Some people really do have scruples but if I remember correctly you're the one who advocated lying to rental car companies and taking the cars out on gravel roads so I imagine that scruples may be a bit of a foreign concept for you.
Keep flailing away at those straw men. Or maybe you could work on reading comprehension. I think I'll just use the ignore button.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Keep flailing away at those straw men. Or maybe you could work on reading comprehension. I think I'll just use the ignore button.
That's nice, dear. That still won't negate the fact that you're wrong once again.

Funny, I never seem to have trouble reading rental car contracts or having enough respect for those in private business to either adhere to their policies or go elsewhere for something that suits my needs more. I don't go around hallucinating massive subdivisions where none exist, either. You might want to familiarize yourself with the concept of comprehension. Good luck with that.

Think, do you mean to tell me that the miners were carrying on affairs with each other? I haven't been keeping up with this. I agree that Ray should watch this as a form of aversion therapy.

Oh and thanks, whoever you are, for the rep you gave me for my post above this one. You're right of course; some of them just don't get it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-13-2010 at 05:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska