Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Yes this is a repost of what I wrote in the Anchorage thread, I tried to delete it there but I'm apparently computer illiterate and can't figure it out.

Well its official my family and I are going to be moving to Anchorage, leaving southern Texas around the 13th of OCT. I have to retract a statement from my last post, I am not going to be moving myself, the Army said they would only give my 9K to move myself...my uhaul was going to be almost 5k itself add on 5-10 MPG and it defiantly wasn't worth it!

I have already ordered a copy of the mile post and have been skimming through it, hopefully we do not catch too much snow going through Canada. Although I am going to buy some tire chains just in case. Are there any that you Alaska drivers suggest?

I also have a question about cable. I am looking at getting Direct TV. I was looking at the cable company's website, and their prices look almost outrageous! Especially for internet; and its capped! I was also looking at DSL. Any insight on any of these aforementioned services would be appreciated!

Furniture, we have gotten rid of all our living room and dining room furniture. I have already been looking at stores up there. We do not have a lot of money but also dont want to get screwed. I have read some really bad reviews of Baileys, have any of you had any encounters with this furniture store? Their prices seem fairly reasonable, I just dont want to buy crap. I will also be looking on craigslist when we arrive, but going to look in stores as well. My Wife is kinda picky!

Do I really need an engine heater in Anchorage? I have read that you REALLY need one in Fairbanks but does it get that cold in Anchorage?

Thanks for reading my short novel, and thanks for any help you guys & gals can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter

If the thought of making a trip to "The Last Frontier" scares you, the thought of driving there in the winter will terrify you. Here's how to make it a safe, fun adventure.

Difficulty Level: average Time Required: varies

Here's How:

1. Assess your skills honestly. If you have little winter driving experience and need to be in Alaska quickly, please only drive as far as your airport.
2. If this is a holiday trip, decide whether driving a car, camper truck or motorhome are most appropriate to your plans. Flying north and then renting a vehicle is a good option for some people.
3. When planning your itinerary, allow as much extra time as possible for new opportunities that arise along the way (or for the possibility of problems). Remember that the days get very short.
4. Use the Alaska Highway, not Highway 37. It is the highway of choice in the winter, and offers more services and safety as a result.
5. Prepare your vehicle well - tune-up, oil change and a full safety check. Ensure that you have winter or all-season radial tires that are in excellent condition. "Studded" tires are not necessary.
6. Carry some spare parts. Depending on your vehicle, that may be as little as a fan belt, thermostat and headlight, or a more elaborate kit if your vehicle is not common.
7. Prepare for deep cold. Carry a sheet of corrugated cardboard large enough to cover your radiator if it gets so cold that your heater starts to lose it's effectiveness. Window ice-scrapers are mandatory equipment.
8. Carry at least a good map, preferably a detailed highway guide. "The Milepost" is the undisputed king of Alaska-Yukon highway guides, but many listed facilities are closed in the winter.
9. Be prepared to spend the night in your vehicle. It isn't likely, but vehicle problems or weather can change your plans quickly. That means carrying an Arctic sleeping bag or lots of extra heavy clothes, and some food and water.
10. Everywhere you stop, ask about conditions ahead, both road and weather. Plan accordingly - don't leave a warm coffee shop and head into conditions you may not be able to handle. "Macho" has no place in such circumstances.
11. Snow conditions can vary dramatically in a very short distance. A good road may turn into a sheet of ice with no visible signs except to the highly experienced. You should usually be driving well under the speed limit.
12. Whenever you stop, clear the snow and ice from all your windows, and from your tail lights - they are often neglected. Bringing a hot coffee back into your car can ice up all your windows instantly!
13. If the temperature is below about minus 15 C., never shut your vehicle off unless you're at a lodge or other facility where assistance is available if needed.
14. Driving when it's snowing can be hypnotizing - be aware of the effects, and stop for a break occasionally if needed.
15. When meeting another vehicle, be aware of the possible "snow dust" that can drop your visibility to zero for a lengthy distance. I always ensure that nobody is behind me so I can slow or even stop when that happens - if luck isn't with you, the conditions seen in the photo at the bottom can go on for hours and hundreds of miles.
16. Now that we have all the cautions written down, think about how amazingly beautiful the North is in the winter. You will be one of the few who get the privilege of seeing it, so savour every mile of it.

Tips:

1. Think border-crossing - do not bring a gun! If you must have one for some reason, you need to buy a permit at the border crossing for $25. You can speed things up by having the forms filled out - but don't sign them until you're with the Customs officer. Full information and the necessary forms can be found at the Canadian Firearms Registry site.
2. Don't take the calendar too seriously - winter can visit 9 months of the year in some of the passes.
3. Take your time!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsdad1234 View Post
Do I really need an engine heater in Anchorage? I have read that you REALLY need one in Fairbanks but does it get that cold in Anchorage?!
You don't necessarily need one in Anchorage, but they are nice to have when the temp drops below zero. And if you would like to drive to other parts of the state in Winter (say for example, Fairbanks), well then you need one.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,782 times
We bought one or two things from Baileys when we arrived - and have had no problem with those pieces. We got the rest from Craigslist......definitely worth it as long as you log on and call early for new listings, the good stuff will go quickly!

We drove up in late October.....had a big SUV. No chains......but definitely ran into cold snow covered slick roads at times. (over the pass from Haines, we took the ferry and got off there, drove the rest)

Good luck in your planning and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska