U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,616,589 times

Advertisements

Having worked from home for many years in Alaska I may be able to give you some insight. High speed internet is much slower than it is in the states. Upload speeds are much slower and download speeds cost more per month for the price you pay. Another thing, with GCI your plan only includes so much data transfer.... after that... you have to pay for additional usage.

I have used ACS Wireless Internet (CDMA), Clearwire and GCI. Here's my take.

Speed - Refers to the speed of the connection, up and down.
Reliability - How often I can use the service without being interrupted.
Versatility - Can you use it as a home wi-fi network easily. Can you use it in other places in town/state.

Clearwire - blows and they are crooks. $45/month
  • Speed - F
Super slow connections both up and down, never reached the speed they stated
  • Reliability - F
Constantly was dropped connections. Customer service stated that I may need to place the modem closer to a window or a different location in my home. Tried all of this, but since I received some sort of signal I could not end my contract.
  • Versatility - C
I had a power inverter in my car. This allowed me to drive around town and work from various locations in town. I was not tied to my house, but to use it the modem required 110V power, meaning I had to have an inverter in my car.

ACS - Surprisingly reliable but speed could have been better. Unlimited use per month. $60/mo

• Speed - C
This is sort of a mixed bag. Down speed was 1.5MBPS which isn't bad and this speed was in most locations. Not only at my home but also around many places along the road system within the state.

• Reliability - B
My service was rarely dropped if I was in a place that had 3G (whatever you call it for CDMA). In some more of the rural places speed would be greatly reduced and I would get dropped once in awhile (dropped every hour or two but could reconnect easily).

• Versatility - A+
Best thing about this connection, I could fish and work at the same time. I would be in the cook inlet and could be online. Connection was too slow to do anything significant, but I would type up documents and email them... they would just take forever. Doing anything using an online application was next to impossible (was on the slow network, works fine if on 3G) This just use a dongle that plugs into your USB port. You cannot build a Wi-Fi home network off of this.

GCI - Broadband Internet Cable Modem - Fastest speed you can get in the Anchorage Area. $75/mo

• Speed - A (for Alaska standards)
This is as fast of internet as you can get. 5/1 internet is $75/mo, you can get faster for more money. GCI - Voice, video and data communication services to residential, commercial and government customers. will provide you this information. Use zip code 99507 for an Anchorage Zip Code.

• Reliability - A
In my experience my internet was up every day and worked well. Rarely wold I get dropped. Speeds do decrease around peak times, like all cable modem.

• Versatility - D
Its cable modem. You're stuck to where its installed. However, you can build a wi-fi network with this system, easily.

These are my experiences. If you are going to do a fair amount of uploading I believe GCI is your only option in Anchorage. You may be able to look into MTA if you are thinking about Wasilla or Palmer. I believe their speeds are faster and rates my be less.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 AM

841 posts, read 609,638 times
Wow! talk about an old thread!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 6,023 times
I live in Sitka and the 1 gig internet seems to work great for streaming, gaming, file uploads and downloads. I'm sure there could be better, but can tell no difference from when I lived in the big cities.

Wow didn't realize how old this thread was, disregard if you have already moved or decided not to, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska