Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times

Advertisements

I live in Anchorage and our internet is really good. we play PS3 and Xbox Live and run our computers all day. Sometimes all at the same time and never had any problems.

I'd go with Girdwood, Valdez or Anchorage for your type of interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 13,744 times
Only move to Valdez if you really crave ongoing, deafening isolation. We were there for two years and although we met some amazing people and enjoyed many aspects of the place, Valdez is WAY more remote than Juneau or anywhere else in Southeast. I think it's because of the lack of jet service. Yes, there's a road, but only so you can leave.... services and supplies don't actually come IN to town.

We've been in Southeast for about 10 years now (Juneau, Pburg, Sitka, Pelican, POW) and we were on the Kenai for about two years (Kenai, Soldotna, Homer). We've traveled the road system and AMHS extensively and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions for you.

Juneau does have skiing, but it also has tons of rain, and I mean a lot! All year long. Pretty much every day. Not sure where you're coming from, but it is likely 10 times soggier in Juneau than anywhere you've been. Housing is crazy expensive and a gallon of milk is $6 right now.

Sounds as if you are likely Anchorage-bound. Best thing about Anchorage is that it's only about 15 minutes from Alaska!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,648 times
Figured I'd chip in too since I'm a dude who drove up here, alone, with only a carload of "junk," a couple months before I turned 25, and it sounds like I was/am looking for a lot of the same things you are. I've ended up doing GIS/Cartography work in Delta Junction, a small town in the interior sortof near Fairbanks, and I love it here, but I think I'm glad I didn't start out in a town this small (I grew up in the Seattle suburbs and went to college in a smallish city of 80,000). I spent a few months in Anchorage, and most of a year 20 miles outside of Palmer before ending up here, which was the perfect transition for me.

With that in mind, I'd recommend that area (Matanuska Valley - Palmer, Butte, Knik River, NOT Wasilla). Otherwise, if you're fascinated by the cold, the northern lights, the "frontier," clearer weather, and might like having a university-driven cultural scene, Fairbanks is worth looking into, particularly the west and north sides of town. It's a city but it's small (30,000 in town, 80,000 in the general vicinity) and not surrounded by anything bigger, or anything other than the woods for that matter.

If you're looking for a smaller, more isolated place, I'd stick to the more substantial coastal towns like Homer and Seward which are on the southcentral road system. These towns have a lot of tourist dollars coming in and are better planned and kept more attractive than many towns / cities in Alaska.

Oh, and as for Anchorage, it's "anytown USA" but it happens to be plopped in one of the best locations in the state (reasonable climate, beatiful scenery, recreational opportunities). With the right attitude, it's a great place. On the other hand, if you're going to make the effort to come all the way up here, you might as well experience the place at its best, and that's not Anchorage.

Last edited by heathen; 09-29-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 24,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelijenn View Post
Only move to Valdez if you really crave ongoing, deafening isolation. We were there for two years and although we met some amazing people and enjoyed many aspects of the place, Valdez is WAY more remote than Juneau or anywhere else in Southeast. I think it's because of the lack of jet service. Yes, there's a road, but only so you can leave.... services and supplies don't actually come IN to town.

We've been in Southeast for about 10 years now (Juneau, Pburg, Sitka, Pelican, POW) and we were on the Kenai for about two years (Kenai, Soldotna, Homer). We've traveled the road system and AMHS extensively and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions for you.

Juneau does have skiing, but it also has tons of rain, and I mean a lot! All year long. Pretty much every day. Not sure where you're coming from, but it is likely 10 times soggier in Juneau than anywhere you've been. Housing is crazy expensive and a gallon of milk is $6 right now.

Sounds as if you are likely Anchorage-bound. Best thing about Anchorage is that it's only about 15 minutes from Alaska!
I enjoy solitude, but I'd rather have some supplies coming into town, even if at a premium (As I hear most stuff is anywhere in Alaska). I love rain, but Juneau may be a bit too humid for me.

It does appear I may be Anchorage area bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Figured I'd chip in too since I'm a dude who drove up here, alone, with only a carload of "junk," a couple months before I turned 25, and it sounds like I was/am looking for a lot of the same things you are. I've ended up doing GIS/Cartography work in Delta Junction, a small town in the interior sortof near Fairbanks, and I love it here, but I think I'm glad I didn't start out in a town this small (I grew up in the Seattle suburbs and went to college in a smallish city of 80,000). I spent a few months in Anchorage, and most of a year 20 miles outside of Palmer before ending up here, which was the perfect transition for me.

With that in mind, I'd recommend that area (Matanuska Valley - Palmer, Butte, Knik River, NOT Wasilla). Otherwise, if you're fascinated by the cold, the northern lights, the "frontier," clearer weather, and might like having a university-driven cultural scene, Fairbanks is worth looking into, particularly the west and north sides of town. It's a city but it's small (30,000 in town, 80,000 in the general vicinity) and not surrounded by anything bigger, or anything other than the woods for that matter.

If you're looking for a smaller, more isolated place, I'd stick to the more substantial coastal towns like Homer and Seward which are on the southcentral road system. These towns have a lot of tourist dollars coming in and are better planned and kept more attractive than many towns / cities in Alaska.
Fairbanks looks interesting, I'll probably visit on my pre-move trip. I do agree it may be ultimately better to move to an urban area first.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelijenn View Post
Isolation? I've only been here a few months and I see someone I know nearly every time I leave the house. We have most things any other small town has, so I'm not sure why you think services and supplies don't come here. Yeah, you do have to drive to Anchorage and Fairbanks sometimes for things you can't get here, like furniture or large appliances, but it's a beautiful drive either way and you do get used to it (well, I guess some people don't). I'm trying to put into words what it is about being out here on our own that I like so much, but I'm not sure I can. Either you like it or you don't. I just know that when I go to town (Anc or Fbx), I'm happy when we go back home.

There are reasons for not moving here, and not wanting to occasionally drive 5-6 hours (more in the winter) through incredibly beautiful country on shopping trips is certainly one. Also, if you really need a lot of sunshine. It's overcast and foggy here a lot. And drizzly. And in the winter, well, "snowy" doesn't quite capture it. What it has, it has in spades. Yesterday at work I watched seven big male Steller sea lions (and a few females) roll about and swim and eat fish in the bay while an ermine played hide-and-seek about ten feet away from me. This morning I passed a black bear grazing in the salt marsh on the way to work, saw another stealing a fish and running across the road at lunch, and saw a dozen Canada geese on my morning and evening commutes. I see so many eagles and sea otters I don't bother counting them. I didn't think the mountains could get more beautiful, but now they're covered in snow and it's amazing (when the fog breaks, of course). The people are interesting and mostly very friendly, everyone knows everyone, but it can be a bit political both because it's a small town and because of the Pipeline influence. But if you want wonderful scenery, loads of outdoor recreation, wildlife, and a friendly small community full of people who know they have to rely on themselves and each other because we *are* out here on our own, this is a good place to be.

Last edited by tigre79; 09-29-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You might have to go with your own satellite to get what you want. It can be iffy but usually works all right.
GCI's download speed is a lot faster then ACS. I have been thinking about switching from ACS to GCI. Will probably do it one of these days. However, the more speed, the higher the cost

ACS:
http://www.gci.com/forhome/internet/xtreme_xl.htm

ACS:
http://www.acsalaska.com/Personal/In...e-Bundles.aspx
Quote:
Service Bundles
High-Speed Internet Bundles
DSL + Local + Long Distance (100 Mins)
Maximum Download/Upload Speed* Bundle Price*
3 Mbps / 512 Kbps $89
1 Mbps / 320 Kbps $69
320 Kbps / 240 Kbps $49
High-Speed Internet Features
Included: Optional:

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Where I live, the only real option is satellite. We don't have GCI or any of that here. Best that's available here otherwise is DSL that doesn't work any better than dial up, unless they've changed things recently when I wasn't paying attention.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,624,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
GCI's download speed is a lot faster then ACS. I have been thinking about switching from ACS to GCI. Will probably do it one of these days. However, the more speed, the higher the cost

ACS:
Xtreme XL Tier 1

ACS:
Welcome to Alaska Communications : Personal : Internet : Service Bundles :
Just checked my computer speed: 11Mbps/1Mbps.

I suppose I should mention I don't live in Alaska. I live in the city where The Fonz rules supreme.

Cost for Phone/Internet/TV is $129.00 plus all kinds of taxes. Comes to about $150.00 per month.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Quote:

ACS:
Xtreme XL Tier 1

ACS:
GCI actually has better services & prices than my provider here in NC.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:

ACS:
Xtreme XL Tier 1

ACS:
You get what you pay for. ACS provides full-duplex, symmetrical Internet services from 1 to 100 Mbps. In fact, GCI uses ACS' circuits in Anchorage, they have none of their own. So by switching to GCI you will still be using ACS equipment, and serviced by ACS employees. The only thing that will change is who you are paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska