Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Floyd I think you need to seriously rethink your attitude about the nobility of the Japanese as a race, a country, and a people with a unique culture. The American Government didn't run a first class propaganda machine against the Japanese following the Second World War. As a matter of fact General Douglas MacArthur allowed the Emperor to stay on the Throne and begin their postwar education of their children. At that point in time he was the virtual dictator of the OCCUPIED COUNTRY which had been defeated in a manner that stands today as a crime committed by the US Government, and Harry Truman, according to their education system. That a possible million American Servicemen didn't die because we killed 100,000 Japanese with an atomic bomb stands as an act to save American lives which I think was a noble decision. I saw hundreds of Gold Stars in windows in Florida back when that War was going on. I'm glad I didn't see more of them.

Lets start by talking about the Rape of Nanking which ranks as one of the worst cases of brutality ever committed in war. Oh yes those things happened since the days of the Romans but in the 20th Century, 1937 I think it was, 300,000 to 400,000 thousand people were brutally killed in a most proficient manner. Imagine a small baby stuck on the end of a bayonet and then dipped, while still alive, into a pot of boiling water. That was reported, together with pictures, by the Nazis who were there while they were allied with Japan before the war. Imagine a people who were going to kill 7 million people being traumatized by the wanton killing of 3-400,000 people after the Imperial Japanese Army took the city. The Emperor, the one MacArthur allowed to stay an the Throne and escape judgment after the war, had ordered the Imperial Army to kill every prisoner and did nothing to stop the wholesale slaughter of the Chinese. And you want to defend people like that? Really Floyd are they different today? They still deny that massacre happened and paint themselves as heroes who liberated the Chinese People. Liberated them from what? Needing to eat and feed their babies? The propaganda the US Government published was true which, because by definition, propaganda is false, must be what? Go ahead and say it. They don't teach that, or any other crime they committed during the second World War, in their schools today. Is that also propaganda?
You're going to hate current generations of people because of the actions of some in past generations? Do you also hate Germans and Italians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Tradition is irrelevant. It's traditional for many cultures to engage in c_ockfighting. Does that mean we should allow it? How about we allow c_ockfighting only for people who can prove they are of a certain ethnic group? Slavery was a tradition, too. Perhaps we can approve slave ownership for those who can verify that their forefathers owned slaves? What's this "tradition" thing, again?
Why should your opinion be law?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're going to hate current generations of people because of the actions of some in past generations? Do you also hate Germans and Italians?
No I don't hate any one but I answered what Floyd said about how our government did something wrong by publishing what they had done. You need the context of what I was answering.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No I don't hate any one but I answered what Floyd said about how our government did something wrong by publishing what they had done. You need the context of what I was answering.
WWII atrocities have no relation to whaling...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:32 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
WWII atrocities have no relation to whaling...
If you read back to what was said and what it was that I answered you'd realize how reading challenged you are. Learn to read before you take something out of context. The post I answered stated they had the US Government running a first class propaganda machine against them as part of the reason they had people disapproving their whaling. All I did was supply correct facts. Why don't you try the same thing?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM

281 posts, read 446,681 times
Reading these sorts of threads it always shocks me to see how people treat animals so industrially, nothing more than 'dumb beef' to be processed into food or whatever else suits their captors. Especially the comment someone made saying disecting whales was all good fun for the whole community. Really now?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Rich you've made it very clear to me in private correspondence, and now here with a public article, that nothing you say about Japan or Japanese people or culture, is free of bias.

I've pointed out that what our government did was publish a great deal of propaganda. That is exactly what they did. They stopped the majority of it because the Japanese became aware of a political trap that could be sprung on them. A few years ago Japan refused to vote for the quota for Alaskan and Russian subsistence whaling, and encouraged their friends (basically nations that get aide from Japan) to follow suit. The quota was not passed at the regular session of the IWC, and instead was authorized at an auxiliary meeting held a few months later.

In the months between those meeting then US Senator Ted Stevens explained the facts of life to the US delegation to the ICW. That is, if there is no quota the Eskimo people are under no obligation to cease whaling and will continue to whale without cooperation of the US or the ICW. That would almost certainly cause an international flap large enough to virtually destroy the ICW with the blame falling on the US.

The US delegation was in almost constant negotiations with the Japanese prior to the ICW meeting that fall. When the ICW met there were two issues voted on. Both were subsistence quotas, and for the first time ever the US voted for a subsistence quota that Japan has asked for every year for 20 years. It still did not pass. The Russian and Alaska quota did pass.

There was never any statement from the US about the change in vote. And no comment was ever issued about the negotiations and what else might have been agreed to. But the US government has stopped their repeated false declarations about the Japanese whale research.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
Reading these sorts of threads it always shocks me to see how people treat animals so industrially, nothing more than 'dumb beef' to be processed into food or whatever else suits their captors. Especially the comment someone made saying disecting whales was all good fun for the whole community. Really now?
Ever gone to a State Fair?

You know, where the whole community spends an entire week with festivities for young and old... and where they judge and give prizes for the best farm animals, all of which are then slaughtered.

Really now!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Rich you've made it very clear to me in private correspondence, and now here with a public article, that nothing you say about Japan or Japanese people or culture, is free of bias.
So I take it Rich isn't a big Sushi fan?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Well, out of your absurd list, Eskimos hunt right here on the North Slope for 4 of the 7 species you list.
Well excuse me for not knowing what wildlife roams the streets of Barrow. What are you going to do, take away my ability to collect SS, welfare, food stamps, unemployment, medicare, medicaid?

You going to do away with minimum wage, too? You're the type person who would eliminate all of my safety nets just because I didn't know all the animals hunted by Eskimos.

Just for you I'll replace my Wool Felt Fedora with a Tricorn Hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska