Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
According to the article, the original one posted by Moose. The reporter was detained because of trespassing. Also, according to the same article, the police said that it was to the DA to determine if is was case of trespassing or not. It's as simple as that.
Actually, Ray, it's as simple as this. DA's don't prosecute unless someone first is arrested for something. Detained by security goons and arrested by an actual officer of the law do not mean the same thing.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Did you guys see Miller on CNN last night? What did ya think?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes I came up strong about it, and perhaps I should have said, "if it's true that the reporter was trespassing, it serves him well, and hope he gets a couple of days in jail."
And now that we know (the Anchorage prosecutor will not press charges) the reporter was not trespassing, isn't it time to come up strong on jerks who hire a team of thugs to illegally handcuff political opponents and detain them under false pretenses?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear that Joe Miller has a plan for a Reichstag fire too.

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 10-19-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, Ray, it's as simple as this. DA's don't prosecute unless someone first is arrested for something. Detained by security goons and arrested by an actual officer of the law do not mean the same thing.
I understand, Met. What I was referring to was what the police officer said, at least according to the link Moose posted a few pages back. This is what I was referring to:
Quote:
Miller security guards handcuff editor: 2010 Alaska U.S. Senate election | adn.com

Anchorage Police who responded to the call said they would leave it to the District Attorney's office to decide whether to prosecute. They spent more than an hour taking statements, then left.

Read more: Miller security guards handcuff editor: 2010 Alaska U.S. Senate election | adn.com

Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I understand, Met. What I was referring to was what the police officer said, at least according to the link Moose posted a few pages back. This is what I was referring to:
The prosecutor has declined to file charges, basically saying there was no crime committed (no trespass and no assault) by the reporter. Note that the reporter took the high road and did not request charges against those who kidnapped and assaulted him.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Judge orders speedy action on Miller's employment records

Judge orders speedy action on Miller's employment records

I'm sure Joe is X'ing off each and every day and thinking November 2nd can't get here fast enough.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
And that article adds one more variation on the lack of professional ethics and lack of professional competence as an attorney displayed by Joe Miller.

When the Borough requested Miller give them a waiver to allow release of his records he claimed that it required the borough to waive its attorney-client privilege. That claim has been denied in a legal opinion from the Alaska Bar Association. Miller alone needs to waive anything to allow the records be released.

Clearly Miller comes up with his "legal" opinions based on what he wants rather than what the law says.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
And that article adds one more variation on the lack of professional ethics and lack of professional competence as an attorney displayed by Joe Miller.

When the Borough requested Miller give them a waiver to allow release of his records he claimed that it required the borough to waive its attorney-client privilege. That claim has been denied in a legal opinion from the Alaska Bar Association. Miller alone needs to waive anything to allow the records be released.

Clearly Miller comes up with his "legal" opinions based on what he wants rather than what the law says.
Joe is asking the voters of Alaska to give him the job as one of their senators. However, Joe doesn't want to tell those same voters what went down at one of his previous places of employment.

Hell, someone applying for a cashiers job at Walmart couldn't get away with that, and there's certainly no way Joe should either, especially given he's applying for a very select position.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Now, his own party is after him. I suppose these are all just, what were the words? Oh yea, these are all just Murkowski "operatives":

Quote:
An open letter to U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller
October 20, 2010

In the Alaska Republican Party's officially adopted “Statement of Principles,” Alaska Republicans affirm our commitment to “strongly support ... high ethical standards, transparency and accountability in government for ... elected and appointed officials.” It follows that our Republican candidates for public office should commit themselves individually to this standard.

As current and former members of the Alaska Republican Party State Central Committee and other concerned Republicans, we ask Republican U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller to honestly and directly answer all questions asked him by the public and the press, and to allow the release of relevant documents that will show Alaska voters that he is both qualified and morally fit to represent our state in the United States Senate.

No electable candidate can seriously pursue public office without implicitly saying to voters, "I promise to be ethical, honest and accountable and to make my candidacy as open and transparent as possible." It is unacceptable - and certainly not a winning strategy - to explicitly refuse to answer reasonable questions about oneself, and to disrespect the Alaska public and the press' right to do so before the questions have even been asked.

On a larger scale, the electoral process in Alaska will cease to function if candidates for public office offend the electorate by withholding from a free press - and thereby voters - information necessary to comfortably make intelligent and informed choices.

This is not unfair scrutiny. It is what the Founding Fathers foresaw voters considering when they wrote the U.S. Constitution. It is at best inconsistent and at worst hypocritical to conceal facts about one’s past while at the same time basing one's campaign on a claim to respect the U.S. Constitution as the most important source of political legitimacy in the land.

If Republicans, and indeed Alaskans, are being asked to trust that Mr. Miller will do the right thing in the U.S. Senate for a six-year term, then there is no excuse for him not to start doing the right thing right now, with no further delays.

Bill Noll, Anchorage
Larry Crews, Sitka
Roy Burkhart, Willow
Paulette Simpson, Douglas
Kathleen Dalton, Fairbanks
Lynda Adams, Ketchikan
Carol Brenckle, Kenai
June Burkhart, Willow
Stephanie Madsen, Juneau
Linda Hutchings, Soldotna
Kim Skipper, Eagle River
Robin Phillips, Anchorage
Jay Ramras, Fairbanks
Mel Krogseng, Soldotna
Cliff Skillings, Ketchikan
Susan Fischetti, Eagle River
Grace Merkes, Sterling
Paul Axelson, Ketchikan
Eddie Grasser, Wasilla
Nikki Welles, Homer
Randy Frank, Fairbanks
Frank McQueary, Anchorage
Errol Champion, Juneau
Susan Stone, Ketchikan
Eleanor Davenport, Skagway
Robert Venables, Haines
Stan Welles, Homer
Dick Coose, Ketchikan
Ralph Samuels, Anchorage
Dallas Massie, Wasilla
Holly Kelty, Anchorage
Doug Olerud, Haines
Bob Krogseng, Soldotna
Fred Reeder, Sitka
Dave Hutchings, Soldotna
Kathy Hosford, Dyea
Aaron Downing, Wasilla
John Winther, Petersburg
Rick Solie, Anchorage
Bud Fate, Fairbanks
Alaska Republicans urge Miller to quit dodging questions: 2010 Alaska U.S. Senate election | adn.com

So, will he comply? Or will he just demand that all of these spies be handcuffed?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Now, his own party is after him. I suppose these are all just, what were the words? Oh yea, these are all just Murkowski "operatives":

Alaska Republicans urge Miller to quit dodging questions: 2010 Alaska U.S. Senate election | adn.com

So, will he comply? Or will he just demand that all of these spies be handcuffed?

It truly sounds as if lil joe has committed the cardinal sin by getting all the professional pols against him. Now if Teak, Artic, and a couple of other apologists for lil joe were to agree their favorite lord and master has both feet crosswise in his mouth and is no longer able to identify with common sense and logic we might be safe with the two other candidates, who while not perfect, aren't the lesser of evils in the race to the finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska