U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,420,429 times
Alaska USA FCU
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,584,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Trying to make financial decisions about budgets and such. Wanted to ask those that live in Alaska, is $3500/month (after taxes) enough for 2 people to live on? This would take in to account housing, insurance, groceries, utilities, fuel and "play" money. We do not live a very expensive lifestyle now, but we do like to "do stuff" like fishing, hiking, exploring, sight-seeing etc. and would want to continue to do these things. Thank you for any information you can provide.

You can look into tax loopholes
and convert part of the house apartment into working office. when seasonal work starts up in spring summer fall one can work additional job and bring in extra income. then take it easy work normal during winter times at main job. right location at job site also brings down cost of auto gas for day in day out travel and then can use the money saved on outdoor trips. most people screw up on utilities so keep things simple at first meaning less use of electric heat, use oil heat. Alaska Mile post book will show you how much things cost for venturing out on activities, Alaska.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM

292 posts, read 130,754 times
its expensive to live here. even more if you want to enjoy alaska.
3.40 gal. for gas
3.00 1 1/2 dozen eggs
3.00 plus for gal. milk
thats anchorage prices. the peninsula is even higher

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM

10,231 posts, read 10,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
3.40 gal. for gas
3.00 1 1/2 dozen eggs
3.00 plus for gal. milk
We pay that for milk in the Northeast. Close to that for a dozen *good* eggs (free range). Gas is lower - but not by all that much. Right now it's around $2.70.

I'm surprised that we're approaching Alaska prices down here.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 AM

4,043 posts, read 5,171,729 times
I've seen eggs higher than $3 for 18 in Anchorage...but alot of food like that is called a loss leader and is sold for low profit margins. You need to look at other items to get a true idea of grocery costs, like meat or produce or snacks.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM

197 posts, read 135,158 times
Quote:
3.40 gal. for gas
3.00 1 1/2 dozen eggs
3.00 plus for gal. milk
My husband and I visited this summer and noticed the prices in the grocery store were a little "spendy", but actually not as bad as we thought they would be. I imagine the biggest difference for us will be fuel and home heating costs. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 AM

127 posts, read 212,673 times
Quote:
3.40 gal. for gas
3.00 1 1/2 dozen eggs
3.00 plus for gal. milk
That's not as bad as I would have thought. Our gas here in Northwestern Illinois is a little less... $3.09 this morning I think, but we are paying almost $4/gal for milk and the eggs aren't much cheaper. As with everything, I'm sure those can vary, but not nearly as high as I've heard in the past.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,649 times
Default I will be living on $1125/month in Kasilof!

I just sold my house in South Dakota, I'm going back to Alaska, I don't care if I'm dirt poor, I miss it and I'm going back. I'm on SSD for Bipolar disorder and I make $1125/month and I never thought I'd see AK again. I only got $115,000 for my house so I have very little to work with, but at least whatever I do find will be paid for. My biggest fear is affording to heat the place. I'm planning on moving to the Kasilof area, it's one of the milder areas isn't it, cheaper to heat? I'm trying to research things as best I can so I don't make any serious mistakes. Does anyone have any advice?
Deb

Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM

12,907 posts, read 13,843,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiros View Post
I just sold my house in South Dakota, I'm going back to Alaska, I don't care if I'm dirt poor, I miss it and I'm going back. I'm on SSD for Bipolar disorder and I make $1125/month and I never thought I'd see AK again. I only got $115,000 for my house so I have very little to work with, but at least whatever I do find will be paid for. My biggest fear is affording to heat the place. I'm planning on moving to the Kasilof area, it's one of the milder areas isn't it, cheaper to heat? I'm trying to research things as best I can so I don't make any serious mistakes. Does anyone have any advice?
Deb
Kasilof is located in the Kenai Peninsula. In general, the farthest away from a city, in this case Anchorage, the more expensive the products you will need to survive will be. Kasilov is not much milder than Anchorage. I would think that the weather conditions of both are very similar.

A friend of mine in Anchorage uses natural gas to heat his home, and while he was paying approximately $350.00 per moth to heat his home four years ago, I was paying from $450.00 to $600.00 per month (average, 12 months) for heating fuel in the interior near Fairbanks. Heating fuel cost around $3.65.00 a gallon back then, and natural gas was a lot cheaper, but not available in most of the interior.

Depending on location, a 2-bedrrom apartment in Fairbanks costs from $950.00- $1,300. My oldest son pays around $1,200 per month for a 2-bedroom apartment in a duplex, but it's a small place. He still has to pay for electricity, but not for heat. Housing in general is quite expensive in the interior, even in Anchorage. One of the reasons is because houses must be well-insulated, and this adds to the total cost of building one. So, buying an old house, unless you know exactly what you are getting into, can turn into an expensive mess down the line when winter arrives. There is not way of telling how well the house is insulated unless you build it yourself, or you can have a housing inspector/technician performing an energy inspection and test. These cost around $600.00.

An average price for a very small house in the interior should be around $160K. A very small home like this in my neighborhood (a 2-bedrrom plus 1-car garage tiny house) was fetching $170K three years ago. I have no idea what the house is worth today, but that's what the new owner paid for it. And I am talking about a house small enough to put you on a clear hearing path of somebody farting in the bathroom while you sit in the living room

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-26-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 PM

3,747 posts, read 3,967,322 times
Three years ago my house was worth $850k (that is what my neighbor paid for his) and I would be lucky to get $450k for it now... I wonder what the prices are like today? Did the housing bust hit AK?

I guess in AK heating is like A/C down here. I've seen $700/mo electric bills in the summer. Groceries sound about the same, although I bet fresh fruits/veggies are much more. (I bought 2 dozen eggs today for $4, milk is $3/gal) What is home owners insurance like? Real estate taxes per year? Auto Insurance? Plus after a year you get the permanent fund money - I know it is only about $100 per month on average, but still better than anywhere else. I really don't see AK all that much more expensive than most areas in the lower 48. As always, you have to watch what you do/spend and certain things, like heating the house, will cost more and others will cost a lot less. Gas here in South Florida is now $3.14 - $3.20 for regular...

For the OP, you have to take everything you need to live into account, add it up, and see where it leaves you. Housing (rent, insurance, utilities) should be your biggest expense and then you need to see what common things you buy on a regular basis cost. (i.e. groceries - do you make food at home or have to eat out all the time) I don't drink alcohol, but I can kill a 12-pack of diet soda in an afternoon... So if a beer is $8/bottle it won't monetarily affect me, but if a 2-liter bottle of diet coke is $8 it just might break the bank.

Mr. Bob can probably elaborate on how expensive AK was compared to the lower 48 since he has traveled back and forth.

RayInAK you make some VERY, VERY good points for anyone considering relocating to AK and ones that I definetly would not have thought of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska