U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,531,034 times

Advertisements

Kenai borough has property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,371,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpepin View Post
Wow 3500$/month its nothing for the person like me. I am a shopaholic person and also enjoy my life with free style and never hesitate to spend money as this is the way i could get more joy. but as you guys talking 3500$/month is enough in Alaska i would love to be there i will surely book my next holiday there. Thanks you all for pop up a new idea of my holiday.
Perhaps you should come up to Anchorage, do some shopping...to take home with you.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,876,006 times
I have a question for someone in Anchorage....

I am a recent college grad (degree is in nothing special or critical need) and I am looking at a job in Anchorage that would be in the $30,000 range plus health insurance and the usual set of benefits. Would I be able to to get by on this salary and still manage to live in a SAFE neighborhood in a decent apartment? I'm not going to buy a house, I just need a decent apartment. I have no kids, no spouse, no pets. It's just me. Is that salary enough to get by and still sorta enjoy life (maybe a nice restaurant meal every once in a while, a drink or two at the bars each weekend, etc)?

Also, I have a car that is in decent condition (problems as far as I know). It is front wheel drive Hyundai Elantra. Do you think I would need a 4WD to live in Anchorage? I live in Nebraska at the moment where we get pretty harsh winters and there have been times here where I felt I needed a 4WD bc the state does a horrible job cleaning up the streets.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,761,759 times
I think you'd have a very hard time doing much more than surviving. After taxes, you'd bring home maybe 2,000/mo and a decent apartment is at least 800 a month. You are supposed to base how much housing expense you can afford as 1/3 of your income so you would have to find a place for around 600 a month with no utilities. Something that cheap is almost impossible to find, but if you had roommates it may be doable.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Oh, I see. Yeah I guess I wouldn't mind living with roommates for a while. I looked on Craigslist and saw some people needing roommates to pay anywhere from $400-$600/mo. But again, I don't know if they're living in a sketchy areas.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 6,032,494 times
People do it all the time. But they have to watch their expenses carefully. You might want to take the job and line up a short term rental for more than you would like in the long term. That would give you a couple months to find good, safe, cheap housing.

In the winter there are some B&Bs that will rent by the week or month. Or even find a property manager that will rent on a month to month basis for a couple months.

You really need boots on the ground to line up longer term housing. Rooming with someone else is always a good option. My daughters room with their friends and share expenses...it's a good living situation and affordable.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Feel free to put street names up here for comment...maybe not the whole address, that might be too much info to put out there in respect of the roommate seeker's privacy. Your car will be fine, Anchorage does a pretty good job cleaning the streets.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Well a lot of them are UAA students saying the place is close to campus. I also saw a lot of "East Anchorage" postings. I'd feel kinda lame living with a college student but considering I only recently graduated I guess it's not that bad.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:21 PM

I think this article is very useful when considering a move to Alaska, especially page 9 where it says you have to have $41K to have a comparable style of living to 30K in other places. It is in the August 2010 Trend magazine in PDF format.

2010 Alaska Economic Trends

Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,977,821 times
Interesting magazine gobrien... That really puts a ton of stuff into perspective on the cost of living in Alaska.

Although it is only accurate for the average measures it compares and assumes a certain use rate for the individual. You rates may vary and I bet some people live in Alaska cheaper than they could live elsewhere. I think that you really need to take a realistic look at YOUR expenses to compare what it will cost YOU to live in Alaska vs. somewhere else. For example, I am allergic to milk, I could care less that milk costs $10/ Gal in some places in AK and only $2.79/Gal here. Same goes for Alcohol and cigarettes . As we don't consume/use those either. Do you cook at home vs. go out to eat? I bet certain meats are cheaper in AK than other areas of the country while fresh fruits and veggies are probably a lot more.

In addition, what kind of pay will you get in Alaska vs. doing the same job somewhere else too! You may need $41 to live a $30k lifestyle in El paso, TX, but you can only get a job for $10 an hour in El Paso and $18/hour in Anchorage. (just an example, I don't know if this is true or even realistic)

gobrien and Marty make really good points too.

BTW - Find a place to live that you really like and try to make it work for yourself there. I would rather make less money and be in a place I am happy about than make more money in a place I can't stand to be in. In the long run, you will have a better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or