U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
4,058 posts, read 8,749,572 times
Reputation: 2319

Advertisements

I don't think any meat is cheaper in Alaska except for perhaps the meat or fish you get by hunting and fishing. Even salmon that is plentiful in Alaska is ridiculously overpriced in the grocery stores here. I miss buying a huge pack of chicken quarters for $2 in Arkansas 10 years ago...

It is true it is best to be a place you are happy as long as you aren't having to juggle eviction notices and utility shut-offs let alone being able to eat. As I know from personal experience living in Anchorage, if you are one day late on the rent grace period, there will be a notice on your door. It is not the most forgiving place to have financial problems. I think maybe that is caused by so many people giving landlords grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: West of the Rockies
1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times
Reputation: 1086
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like I may have to think this one over good. So is all food really THAT expensive in Alaska? I have a rather picky diet, and I don't eat typical American staples such as dairy, cereal, vegetables, etc. That could be a good or bad thing. My biggest concerns would be the cost of food, rent + utilities, and car gas. I wanted to know if these would fit within a $30,000 if I tried to live as cheap as possible.

I did visit Anchorage years ago and I thought it was gorgeous which is why I am considering such a low-paying job up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Valdez, Alaska
2,759 posts, read 4,356,806 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I don't think any meat is cheaper in Alaska except for perhaps the meat or fish you get by hunting and fishing. Even salmon that is plentiful in Alaska is ridiculously overpriced in the grocery stores here.
When I was back home in TX last May, Copper River kings were $40 a pound and reds were $35. Halibut was $20. I don't know about grocery store prices here, but at the Peter Pan seafood shop over by the harbor, halibut was going for $12 a pound and everyone around here thought that was highway robbery because it was usually $4-5. What may seem overpriced here would be a smoking deal down south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
4,058 posts, read 8,749,572 times
Reputation: 2319
It is very pretty with the mountains surrounding it, but it is not perfect by any means. You could do it with a roommate or maybe with an efficiency in a sketchy neighborhood. I should not give advice on food for one because I have two kids to feed who eat a lot. What do you eat in your diet if you don't mind answering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,599 posts, read 28,748,573 times
Reputation: 12357
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like I may have to think this one over good. So is all food really THAT expensive in Alaska? I have a rather picky diet, and I don't eat typical American staples such as dairy, cereal, vegetables, etc. That could be a good or bad thing. My biggest concerns would be the cost of food, rent + utilities, and car gas. I wanted to know if these would fit within a $30,000 if I tried to live as cheap as possible.

I did visit Anchorage years ago and I thought it was gorgeous which is why I am considering such a low-paying job up there.
A "picky diet" will be expensive. You have to take into consideration that most agricultural products are shipped to Alaska. Summers are short, and so the growing seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,599 posts, read 28,748,573 times
Reputation: 12357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
When I was back home in TX last May, Copper River kings were $40 a pound and reds were $35. Halibut was $20. I don't know about grocery store prices here, but at the Peter Pan seafood shop over by the harbor, halibut was going for $12 a pound and everyone around here thought that was highway robbery because it was usually $4-5. What may seem overpriced here would be a smoking deal down south.
In Fairbanks, at Fred Mayer:
-Halibut from $13.00 to $16.00 a pound.
-Salmon (red. silver, chum) from $4.00 to $7.00 a pound. I seldom see King salmon, and I would think that this would be a lot more expensive then the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,362 posts, read 33,036,409 times
Reputation: 13765
Bethel Alaska:

King Salmon...buy gas for the boat...free.
Red and Silver Salmon...free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
 
17 posts, read 29,279 times
Reputation: 17
pardon my ignorance folks...live in WA, but those heating bills would bury me. We burn wood...lots. I reckon you can't in the city, but in the semi-rural areas is it difficult to go buck deadwood on DNR land? I just simply can't imagine spending 4 to 6 Benjies a month to heat my house and not even get the pleasure of makin' a good fire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,560,731 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Bethel Alaska:

King Salmon...buy gas for the boat...free.
Red and Silver Salmon...free.
Barrow Alaska:

Bowhead whale, free (the more you contribute, the better and larger portion)

Seal meat, free (the more you contribute...)

Caribou meat, free (the more...)

Anyone can get enough meat here to feed a family, for virtually no cost. The more you contribute to producing the food supply the larger and better the portion you get. Likewise, the more need the larger and better the portion; hence, someone who is disabled, feeds a lot of children, or is simply old, need not contribute more than their presence to qualify for more than a minimal cut.

But even someone who contributes virtually nothing can get enough to survive.

And perhaps it is more openly publicized in Barrow than other places, but essentially the same is true in virtually every village in bush Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,362 posts, read 33,036,409 times
Reputation: 13765
My parents have a trade system down pretty good. Whenever we need reindeer meat from Mekoryuk we send our relative some dried pike or dried salmon for the meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top