Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
It is very pretty with the mountains surrounding it, but it is not perfect by any means. You could do it with a roommate or maybe with an efficiency in a sketchy neighborhood. I should not give advice on food for one because I have two kids to feed who eat a lot. What do you eat in your diet if you don't mind answering?
lol "Picky diet" was just a nicer way of me saying "junk food diet." It's embarrassing but lately I've been eating nothing but pre-packaged processed foods like pizza rolls and TV dinners. lol The stuff you find in the freezer sections at the supermarket. Mainly as a result of not knowing and not wanting to cook real food. When I am low on cash I mainly eat Ramen noodles and attempt to make it somewhat healthy by putting vegetables in it. I don't eat salmon, crabs, or any of fancier meats you guys are talking about. Please tell me Ramen noodles are at least cheap in Alaska (less than a $1 a pack?). lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
You are in luck, ramen noodles are cheap in Alaska! The freezer stuff, not so much but since you aren't feeding a family on that you should be able to eat your foods of choice.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
The Official Ramen Homepage

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Cook your Ramen with an egg, preferably chicken flavor. After you place it in the bowl, place cheese of your choice on top and let melt...very good ramen!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
hahahaha you beat me too it JoeJoe!!! but you are the master of Ramen noodles and should be the one who posts the link! ya got me hooked!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Cook your Ramen with an egg, preferably chicken flavor.
Aren't most eggs chicken flavored?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Aren't most eggs chicken flavored?
chix flavor Ramen noodles not the eggs! Ramen noodle novice!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
chix flavor Ramen noodles not the eggs! Ramen noodle novice!!!
And these can be purchased by the boxe-full at Sam's Club

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
lol "Picky diet" was just a nicer way of me saying "junk food diet." It's embarrassing but lately I've been eating nothing but pre-packaged processed foods like pizza rolls and TV dinners. lol The stuff you find in the freezer sections at the supermarket. Mainly as a result of not knowing and not wanting to cook real food. When I am low on cash I mainly eat Ramen noodles and attempt to make it somewhat healthy by putting vegetables in it. I don't eat salmon, crabs, or any of fancier meats you guys are talking about. Please tell me Ramen noodles are at least cheap in Alaska (less than a $1 a pack?). lol
You got me fooled there for a few days.

You don't eat, or don't like salmon? How about sardines in the can from Sam's Club?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Please tell me Ramen noodles are at least cheap in Alaska (less than a $1 a pack?). lol
They don't weigh much, so the added price of shipping is small and the price on the shelf stays down. I can't remember exactly, but it's something like 66 cents a package for Ramen noodles in Barrow.

The problem I have with them is there is so much salt in the "flavor packet". So if I eat it without doing anything special, I only put 1/3 to 1/2 of the powder onto the noodles. But I like to add other things... meat, minced clams, diced vegies, or whatever.

But the odd thing in Barrow is that for one person it doesn't make much economic sense to cook. About all I eat at home are "snacks". For a full blown meal I go across the street and let Sam & Lee's cook it for me. They buy all the ingredients not just by the case, but a pallet load at a time; that gives them a much better price break than I can get. Plus if they pull out a head of lettuce, a tomato, or some celery and put just a little of each on my plate, the rest isn't going to spoil nor do I have to eat the same thing 5 days in a row to keep it from going to the dumpster. (Besides, we trade stuff for meals too. I had the buffet for lunch today, but it was free. Instead of paying for my food, I brought home two documents that I scanned and emailed to someone. Good deal for both of us.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska