Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 43,433 times

Advertisements

Hey Alaskans! It's me, a Texan. I admire ya'lls state a lot, it's way too hot here for me, I'm more of a cold-weather, outdoorsy type of girl.

So I've been considering college in Alaska. I was looking at the sites for all the University's of Alaska, but I couldn't tell, how hard it was to get in? I mean, what were the average scores on the SAT of the people that got in?

annndd... what college do you like best? UAF, UAA, UAS? I am planning on becoming a pediatric nurse someday, what college do you think would be best for that?

I kind of like Fairbanks, but the idea of -70 weather scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
It isn't that cold in Fairbanks on a consistant basis, thank God!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
It isn't that cold in Fairbanks on a consistant basis, thank God!
haha, I would hope not! But I've never been in weather much lower than 10 degrees. I might die. lol

Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Well, it's a dry cold so it isn't as bad as a moist cold like you'd find in the south...

I was born here and I don't like it, but I have lived in the south and actually felt colder there due to the humidity.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Hm that's interesting, yeah, I was wondering how ya'll walked around and your eyes didn't freeze. o.O Did you go to UAF?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM

No, the University of Arkansas.....my parents retired down there. Go Hogs! We do have a regular poster going there now, UAFBoundyankee. He loves it!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times
I have gone attended both UAA (Anchorage) and UAS (Juneau). I've worked in Fairbanks in the summer. Anchorage has better weather than both Fairbanks and Juneau, in my opinion. Fairbanks is warm-hot in the summer, but there are usually forest fires that make the air quality terrible, and it's super cold in the winter, as you already know. It's quite flat up there (not a lot of great hiking) and all in all not a very beautiful city. There is a military base there that also affects the demographic, and smoking is still allowed in bars. The school, however, is supposedly fantastic. All three valedictorians in my graduating class went there despite being offered scholarships elsewhere, so that has to say something. I personally would not live there for ANY reason.
Anchorage is a nice town to be in because there is more diversity - in the people, places to shop, restaurants, bars (no smoking), occasionally a satisfactory music show to see/hear. The city is ok as far as looks go, but the best thing about Anchorage, in my opinion, is having quick access to the Chugach mountains (great hiking). If you have some extra cash to spare, Alyeska ski resort is about a 45 minute drive from Anchorage (spendy but fun). Also, it's the cheapest place to leave Alaska from when you start to get stir crazy. I was incredibly disappointed with UAA, though. The institution is a bureaucratic mess. Very impersonal. It feels like a community college without the benefits of the smallness of a community college. And affordable parking is a huge problem (lack of it).
Juneau is where I live now. I've been here for about 4 months now. When I first arrived it was nice and sunny and lively out (about 3 weeks) and then it started to rain A LOT. It really didn't stop raining until it started to freeze outside, which was just recently. The days are very short (sunlight-speaking) not only because of the high latitude, but also the mountains that surround Juneau block the sun a lot earlier. It is a very beautiful place, but cost of living is a little higher than Anchorage and Fairbanks. Shipping costs are higher, so that affects many things. Rent is ridiculously high considering how secluded the city is. I have a suspicion it is because of the politicians coming and going. I guess avalanches cause the electricity costs to skyrocket in the winter at times, too. There aren't many places to shop that aren't box-department type stores, but there is a Costco! There is also a little ski resort which I hear is reasonably priced. The hiking, of course, is great here (if rain doesn't bother you/you like winter hiking), but the best part about Juneau for me is the school. UAS is the smallest of the three schools. The administration is very involved and supportive, and especially helpful. I've never had to wait on hold to talk to someone about anything. My classes are all pretty small (10-15 people) and taught by professors. The downside is that they do not offer a ton on different degree programs. Classes can be limited, too, but one way they make up for it is a great study exchange/abroad counselor. In other words, going out of state to study for a year or so is highly encouraged.

Driving is almost a necessity for living in Alaska. I personally do not drive, but my life is pretty simple and I live close to the university where I study and also have a little job. My house and UAS are both on the bus line, so it's convenient.

All the University of Alaska schools are open enrollment. UAA (Anchorage) is probably your best bet for a nursing program, but I think they might have a cap each year on how many students they admit to that program. You'll have to do some research.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
I spent the weekend in Fairbanks and found it to be a very beautiful city. The campus was incredible and I'm thinking very hard of going there when I head out of Barrow to work on my BSN.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 AM

18 posts, read 16,486 times
sooooo

Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
There are some Texans around UAF. At least one of them posts here every now and then. UAF is a big place compared to UA, Los Anchorage. I have seen some all dressed up with cowboy boots, hats, dark long coats (don't know what these are called). Anyway, they usually drop the attire when winter sets in, and soon enough look like other students from Alaska. I do enjoy talking to students from Tejas. There is something down to earth with these kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska