Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Nahhh, there ain't no glaciers and there ain't no glacial ice floating around out there!

What there is, is a lot of "sea ice", frozen from "sea water", which has a certain amount of salinity to start with. Enough that you don't want to make tea with it, that's for sure!

But over time, particularly if the sun can shine on it, the salt will distill out of the ice. You can go down to the beach right now and grab a chunk of salt laden ice and take it home to watch it happen too. Brush all the snow off, and set it just outside of a convenient window where you can watch it change with time. To begin with sea ice with salt in it will be a sort of grey milky color, and it doesn't "shatter", but due to the flexibility it will break into larger chunks. If it is left in one position every time it picks up a little heat (sunlight or warm days either one) the salt will migrate towards the bottom. The top will become clear (and look blue if it is thick enough). It will shatter into small pieces if broken because it is much more brittle.

People who've camped on the ice know how to pick out chunks of fresh water ice, because that's what they make tea and coffee from. Melting snow is okay for other things, but it doesn't necessarily taste very good because it has been collecting contaminants; ice on the other hand just sits there and slowly excretes contaminants.
Thank you, Floyd. I knew there was a desalinization process involved but thought there was some glacial thing going on as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Ted was here in Barrow this week. I was working so I didn't get to meet him but a lot of people did and said he was very nice.
Yea we were actually in the hot springs so I didn't want to bother them with the whole, celebrity thing. I just let them soak and visit in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska