Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM

37 posts, read 46,917 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Californian (not by choice) who will be moving to AK imminently. I am undecided as to where exactly I will be moving, as of yet and that may be determined by the housing market, as I am working with a budget. I am at present torn between buying or building. I am in civil construction and consider myself competent to build with little or no contractor assistance which opens the prospect of purchasing a considerable chunk of land sans road access. My question is regarding the legality of carving out my own road access. I am unaware of any resources which could provide me the information I am looking for. It seems almost as if I could just start carving swaths out of the countryside and so long as I call it a trail no one cares, that just can't be true... Appreciate any resources, experiences & advice the community may be able to offer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM

109 posts, read 166,937 times
Some of the folks here have done exactly that, bought a big chunk of land in the interior, then make your driveway one chainsaw swipe at a time. As long as you are on YOUR property, you're good. The building inspectors get scarce outside the populated areas.

Having said that, I'm in the same boat, not there yet, just planning and saving. There are lots of people here who know way more than I do. I'm sure they'll chime in.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
It's not unlike California. Some areas of the state have building codes and some do not. Before anyone can offer you any concrete advice you need to find an area that you are interested in first. Carve a trail across the wrong swath of land and you could be facing FEDERAL charges.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Alaska State Land Offerings

Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
On state land you can cut trails but the DNR has some very specific regulations on it. Don't even think about doing it on federal land unless you can actually get a permit, especially NPS lands.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Not so easy without easements. You need to know who owns the land over which you travel. Sometimes you are OK and sometimes you will risk jail. Get your boots on the ground and learn before you do anything crazy.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Like a lot of folks that have the same dream, you need to come up and travel around the State a bit to see what areas that you like in person and ask the locals what the weather is like. In the interior the summers are warm, but the winters are "Arctic", in some cases colder than the real Arctic for much of the winter. Coastal areas are warmer in winter, milder in the summer, but get lots of snow and rain depending on the season and area.

But whatever you do, don't buy land unless you have put your boots on it first. Too many variables, you just need to see what you are getting.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I hear Hope is going to have a land lottery. But lot's will be going for 50 to 80 grand...which is not so grand.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...29275221.shtml

Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 AM

37 posts, read 46,917 times
Thanks for the information all. I'll be coming up on a scouting mission in January, have some friends in Soldotna who will be there to provide insight. I'm pretty sure I don't want a subdivision parcel (or anything on the peninsula, really...) as they seem to be limited to around 5-10 acres. Of course that (a subdivision) comes with the existing or future infrastructure which is not something to be ignored. At this moment I've many grandiose ideas but as some of you pointed out just really need to get on the ground and start looking. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculous View Post
I'm pretty sure I don't want a subdivision parcel (or anything on the peninsula, really...) as they seem to be limited to around 5-10 acres.
Why would you need anything more then that? Unless your gonna raise cattle or something, which not many people do, why would you need more land? Something to really think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska