Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM

20 posts, read 43,444 times

Advertisements

I'm 15 years old, and I really REALLY want to live in Alaska someday.
I looooove snow, hiking, HUMUNGO trees, king crab, and small towns. What town do you think would be best for me? I also want to go to college in alaska, I want to become a pediatric nurse or a neonatal nurse, maybe. I was searching for what colleges had nursing degrees, but all I could find was University of Alaska in Anchorage, but I don't know if I would like Anchorage, too big of a city? I don't know, I may be wrong.

What cities do you think I would like best? What city do you live in, and why do you like it?

Pros and Cons of Alaska?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Consider getting your nursing degree elsewhere and then look into being a travel nurse--that way you could experience different communities.

Sounds like Juneau might be a good fit for you--go much farther north of Haines or so and the big trees start getting smaller. But I don't know if the college in Juneau has a nursing program. Someone here can answer that though I'm sure.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
Fairbanks is nice but the trees are tiny.

I agree, if I could, a traveling nurse would be the best job for a young person or someone which grown kids. The best of everything.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Do some research, more....You want to live in AK, but have no clue....You need living arrangements, especially if going to school on a limited budget.....Get a job where you are now...save money to move and for school if possible if you want to live in Anchorage, otherwise do school and then move.....Good luck

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
According to the UAA School of Nursing website (University of Alaska School of Nursing) "the School of Nursing offers the only regularly scheduled course work leading to eligibility for licensure as a Registered Nurse and for advanced nursing practice in Alaska." However, you should never believe everything you read on the web. In this case I think it's mostly but not totally a true statement.

Also check out Registered Nursing; it talks about how UAF in Fairbanks is a partner with the UAA School of Nursing. Among other things it provides the information I've copied below.

Here's a site for UAS (Southeast, in Juneau) - Certificate: Pre-Nursing Qualifications | University of Alaska Southeast. It also offers some nursing classes.

You sound like you have a dream and you're certainly starting young enough to make it happen if you really want it. Getting the absolute best grades you can in high school will help make it happen since they will be a key to getting into whatever nursing school you decide to try to attend.

Also, talk to your high school guidance counselor about what classes to take to best advance your dream. And about what else you should do; i.e., volunteer work or summer jobs that would look great on your college application. College is so competitive now that extracurricular activities have become very important in determining whether or not you get selected over other applicants. Don't know where you live but would expect there might be lots of volunteer work you could do that would fit great with your nursing aspirations.

Also talk to your guidance coundelor about what nursing programs/colleges might be the best fit for you. As Met suggested, one track would be to get your nursing degree outside Alaska and then go north.

At the same time, I suggest you reach out to both UAA and UAF (and maybe UAS as well) by email - I've included the contact info for the UAF nursing coordinator below - and ask them for their guidance/assistance in helping you make your dream come true. Ask them for their suggestions on how to get where you want to be and whether going to nursing school in Anchorage or Fairbanks (or Juneau) would be the best way to make that happen. And how best to take advatage of what the two schools offer in terms of nursing (and pre-nursing) course work to achieve your dream.

One advantage of getting your degree in Alaska is that you should hopefully be able to make good connections in the local/regional nursing workplace. Which would make it easier to get a job once you're out of school, rather than moving to Alaska after getting your degree elsewhere and trying to apply for jobs cold with folks that know nothing about you.

I think this parallel track of talking to your high school counselor and UAA/UAF/UAS counselors would help give you the maximum info you're going to need to make your dream come true. Be persistent in reaching out to them and mining them for information. If they reply to your inquiries and you still have questions, ask again.

I'd make initial contacts by email since it's the easiest/cheapest way to ask lots of questions and get info back in writing that you won't forget. But If you can afford it, at some point I's also call them (at least the one for the school that seems to offer the best opportunity for you) and talk directly to them rather than by email, particularly if you have any questions that are not getting commmunicated well by email. By talking directly to them you'll become more of a real person to them and hopefully perk their interest in helping you succeed in your dreams.

Good luck. I like Fairbanks best cause it's where I grew up but only you can decide what's the best fit for you.

From the UAF website:

"The Associate of Applied Science degree in Nursing is an outreach program of the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) School of Nursing. UAA and the UAF Community and Technical College work together to administer the program locally. [My editorial note...i.e., in Fairbanks.]

"Acceptance into the Nursing program is highly competitive and dependent on a ranking system that considers GPA, number of co-requisite courses completed, score on the Pre Nursing Entrance Test, and specific work experience. The students with the highest numerical ranking will be offered positions in the class.

"Students are encouraged to complete the preliminary co-requisite non-nursing courses, which will usually consist of an additional year of studies. The student will enroll at UAF as an Allied Health Non-Major for Nursing Candidate or Certificate in Allied Health: Pre-Nursing Qualifications Candidate. Then the student is strongly recommended to consult a faculty advisor prior to registering for classes. Please call 455-2871 or 455-2893 for an appointment.

"Prospective students who have questions about the Nursing program should attend one of the monthly scheduled Nursing Information Sessions. The dates, times and location of the sessions are specified on the INTENT FORM. Download the Intent Form from the menu in the upper left. The form can be filled out online and printed, or you may fill it out after it has been printed. After completing the form, call 455-2893 to make a reservation for the session, and then fax the form to 455-2865 or send it to the following address:

Shirley LaForge, RN, MSN
Associate Professor/Campus Coordinator
UAF Community and Technical College
604 Barnette Street, room 432
Fairbanks, Alaska, 99701

email: slaforge@alaska.edu phone: (907) 455-2893"

Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
According to the UAA School of Nursing website (University of Alaska School of Nursing) "the School of Nursing offers the only regularly scheduled course work leading to eligibility for licensure as a Registered Nurse and for advanced nursing practice in Alaska." However, you should never believe everything you read on the web. In this case I think it's mostly but not totally a true statement.

Also check out Registered Nursing; it talks about how UAF in Fairbanks is a partner with the UAA School of Nursing. Among other things it provides the information I've copied below.

Here's a site for UAS (Southeast, in Juneau) - Certificate: Pre-Nursing Qualifications | University of Alaska Southeast. It also offers some nursing classes.

You sound like you have a dream and you're certainly starting young enough to make it happen if you really want it. Getting the absolute best grades you can in high school will help make it happen since they will be a key to getting into whatever nursing school you decide to try to attend.

Also, talk to your high school guidance counselor about what classes to take to best advance your dream. And about what else you should do; i.e., volunteer work or summer jobs that would look great on your college application. College is so competitive now that extracurricular activities have become very important in determining whether or not you get selected over other applicants. Don't know where you live but would expect there might be lots of volunteer work you could do that would fit great with your nursing aspirations.

Also talk to your guidance coundelor about what nursing programs/colleges might be the best fit for you. As Met suggested, one track would be to get your nursing degree outside Alaska and then go north.

At the same time, I suggest you reach out to both UAA and UAF (and maybe UAS as well) by email - I've included the contact info for the UAF nursing coordinator below - and ask them for their guidance/assistance in helping you make your dream come true. Ask them for their suggestions on how to get where you want to be and whether going to nursing school in Anchorage or Fairbanks (or Juneau) would be the best way to make that happen. And how best to take advatage of what the two schools offer in terms of nursing (and pre-nursing) course work to achieve your dream.

One advantage of getting your degree in Alaska is that you should hopefully be able to make good connections in the local/regional nursing workplace. Which would make it easier to get a job once you're out of school, rather than moving to Alaska after getting your degree elsewhere and trying to apply for jobs cold with folks that know nothing about you.

I think this parallel track of talking to your high school counselor and UAA/UAF/UAS counselors would help give you the maximum info you're going to need to make your dream come true. Be persistent in reaching out to them and mining them for information. If they reply to your inquiries and you still have questions, ask again.

I'd make initial contacts by email since it's the easiest/cheapest way to ask lots of questions and get info back in writing that you won't forget. But If you can afford it, at some point I's also call them (at least the one for the school that seems to offer the best opportunity for you) and talk directly to them rather than by email, particularly if you have any questions that are not getting commmunicated well by email. By talking directly to them you'll become more of a real person to them and hopefully perk their interest in helping you succeed in your dreams.

Good luck. I like Fairbanks best cause it's where I grew up but only you can decide what's the best fit for you.

From the UAF website:

"The Associate of Applied Science degree in Nursing is an outreach program of the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) School of Nursing. UAA and the UAF Community and Technical College work together to administer the program locally. [My editorial note...i.e., in Fairbanks.]

"Acceptance into the Nursing program is highly competitive and dependent on a ranking system that considers GPA, number of co-requisite courses completed, score on the Pre Nursing Entrance Test, and specific work experience. The students with the highest numerical ranking will be offered positions in the class.

"Students are encouraged to complete the preliminary co-requisite non-nursing courses, which will usually consist of an additional year of studies. The student will enroll at UAF as an Allied Health Non-Major for Nursing Candidate or Certificate in Allied Health: Pre-Nursing Qualifications Candidate. Then the student is strongly recommended to consult a faculty advisor prior to registering for classes. Please call 455-2871 or 455-2893 for an appointment.

"Prospective students who have questions about the Nursing program should attend one of the monthly scheduled Nursing Information Sessions. The dates, times and location of the sessions are specified on the INTENT FORM. Download the Intent Form from the menu in the upper left. The form can be filled out online and printed, or you may fill it out after it has been printed. After completing the form, call 455-2893 to make a reservation for the session, and then fax the form to 455-2865 or send it to the following address:

Shirley LaForge, RN, MSN
Associate Professor/Campus Coordinator
UAF Community and Technical College
604 Barnette Street, room 432
Fairbanks, Alaska, 99701

email: slaforge@alaska.edu phone: (907) 455-2893"
Excellent information shared here!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 PM

313 posts, read 324,672 times
ktex,
ucf in orlando, florida is suppose to be one of the best nursing schools in the country.
i think i am going to send my daughter there. i think everyones advice about traveling
would be the way to go till your ready to settle down. good luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
In order to be accepted typically as an R.N. traveler you must have at least one year of acute care experience. critical care requires more. the basic thing is to select a nursing school with a good reputation, then settle in somewhere to make your bones and then when you are comfortable travel. I would recommend coming to Alaska for Nursing School. UAA has an excellent program and you can live where you dream. =)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 24,168 times
LOL Havent you seen 30 Days and 30 Nights?? J/K Good Luck with pursuing your dreams!!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 PM

96 posts, read 257,142 times
Default Follow your dream

It's nice to see young people who have a plan. Get your credentials, health care is a universally IN DEMAND field to work in. Rural Alaska could use your help, of for that matter just about anywhere in Alaska. Health care jobs go unfilled and it seems to be getting worse.

Almost 20 years ago I met a guy from Manitoba here in Fairbanks, he moved his family here because his wife was offered a nurse's job at the hospital in Fairbanks and they didn't have much going on at home. They are still here today, and she has won awards for her outstanding work.

Give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska