Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,572,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khe9310 View Post
I'm not sure if going to Alaska would be a good thing for my future..
It will be a good experience but I feel that it might be limiting my future success.
I have a pretty high potential
I have a 92 GPA from grades 9&10
and currently my 11th grade avg is much higher..
I'm taking AP Calculus AB, AP psychology, and AP physics B
Extracurricular activities: Orchestra club, Math team, and about 75 hours of volunteer work
What do you think?
I'll chime in because I have crows feet older than you. At your age we all dreamed of going to exotic places. Most of us couldn't wait to fly solo. Fact is, it's very very tough out there.

You'd be best served to stay closer to your family because they will be an invaluable support system at your age.

Plenty of great schools in the Northeast where you can follow your academic dreams. Do that first and if Alaska is still calling then hop on a plane and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I lived in York, Maine for several years, and spent a winter in Caribou. A place that is frequently the coldest spot in the lower 48 (wicked cold). The wind coming off the potato fields is something, but I agree, learning to live in -40 weather plus a windchill.... brrrrrrr! But, I always say you can get used to almost anything

VT is also one of my favorite stops. I spent many many summers not to far from Burlington.

I always thought that I would move back to Maine. Never did happen, but I have really enjoyed living in WI. Now I am getting ready for the next adventure, moving to Anchorage! Looks like I will be there after Thanksgiving - I am very excited.

No Carolina is also lovely. The Blue Ridge Parkway was one of my favorite motorcycle rides. Just breathtaking in the fall.

Every state has something to offer, we just need to take advantage of what is there.
Yeah, York is a real nice area. I like the area up near Caribou as well. Limestone, Loring AFB, that whole area has kind of an otherworldly feel to it. In the winter especially; it's pretty mind-blowing. Vermont is actually the place I would rather live more than anywhere, but it's become a pretty unlivable place. The taxes and the outrageous cost of living pretty much keep most people out these days. And Vermont is doing nothing to correct the problem, they are just perpetuating it. That's why New Hampshire is on my list: it's right next to Vermont, but it's got a great economy and it's not nearly as expensive!

You are correct that every state has something to offer. I feel very content living here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, but I have this problem where no matter where I live, I always dream of living somewhere else. And I've made it happen quite a few times. Alaska seems to me to be one of the last great adventures a person could have, and that is why I am considering living in the interior. If you're up for some adventure, I think Alaska is the place to go. If you're looking for a quaint little snow town that doesn't have totally extreme weather and sunlight patterns, then I think somewhere in New England would be more suitable.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 AM

693 posts, read 1,597,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
I'll chime in because I have crows feet older than you. At your age we all dreamed of going to exotic places. Most of us couldn't wait to fly solo. Fact is, it's very very tough out there.

You'd be best served to stay closer to your family because they will be an invaluable support system at your age.

Plenty of great schools in the Northeast where you can follow your academic dreams. Do that first and if Alaska is still calling then hop on a plane and go.
I don't know if I'd agree. I went to college overseas when I was 19. Truthfully, it was a fantastic experience. Sometimes folks, young and old, need to go for their dreams, even if they don't always turn out to be what was expected (usually the case!). Always good life lessons in there.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM

157 posts, read 238,487 times
my eldest son left for college this year - I encouraged him to go as far as his dreams (and student loans) would allow him. He wound up in Hawaii which sounds so exotic to the rest of the family. He chose it not only for the location, but also for the language program he is interested in. The fact that they gave him a nice scholarship didn't hurt either.

To the original poster - your grades look great, and you certainly seem to have ambition. I guess my question back to you is - what do you want to do with that ambition in the long-run? If you are interested in Alaska, check out what the colleges are like and see if they offer programs you are interested in. Then you can get your snow-town and your college taken care of.

Living on Long Island you won't get as much snow as places off of the ocean. Especially if you don't live on the sound side. Do you ever get a chance to go on a school ski trip? That should give you some exposure to places north of the Island that gets lots of snow.

Anyway - good for you for exploring your dreams!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe9310 View Post
Yep thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I'll be driving in Alaska if I go though..
hm but I am definitely thinking of experiencing the cold if I start to seriously think about this idea.
Unless you lived in the bush in Alaska (not on the road system), it'd be hard to avoid driving, as there's next to no public transportation, and distances between towns are long...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
Yeah, don't expect to be able to not have a car like you can in NYC. Not happening in Alaska, or any rural area for that matter. My friend lives in a town that is only 30 minutes outside of Asheville in the country, and when his girlfriend takes the truck, he is completely stranded on his mountaintop, with no way to go anywhere. No bus service, no trains, no taxis, no nothing. Well, actually, he could call a cab, if he wanted to spend $50 to get into town. Living outside of a major city, you are going to need a car. And living outside of a major city in a Northern location with lots of snow, you are going to need a car with AWD and some sharp driving skills. Well, the AWD isn't necessary, but sharp driving skills definitely are. That's something you should definitely take into consideration. I live IN the city of Asheville, and I would not be able to live without my car. The bus system here is horrendous, and that's the only public transit option. The US is set up to be a car culture, and that isn't changing anytime soon. And Alaska, as arctichomesteader said, is freaking huge, with huge distances between towns. According to Google Maps, it takes about 6.5 hours to get from Fairbanks to Anchorage, and that's only because the Parks Hwy goes straight there pretty much. Look at driving from Valdez to Anchorage; they're really close together as the crow flies, but you have to drive in a gigantic loop to get there. Alaska requires a vehicle for transportation.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 PM

157 posts, read 238,487 times
Quote:
Seems we've lived in some of the same states. I currently live in WI. As mentioned I lived in upstate (Oswego) NY, and spent a summer living in Lake Placid and 9 months in Burlington, VT.

When I was younger my family lived in a small town about 30 miles SW of Portland, ME. I've also lived in MI, FL, WA, and SC for 7 months.
My Mom's family is located in and around NYC, and I spent several years there as a kid. My Dad's family was more upstate. Aside from a short stint living in Bakersfield, CA when I was very young, I've spent many years living in the New England area. I'm currently living in WI also. At least for the next 23 days anyway. We've been here for 10 years. It has been a good place for my family.

Quote:
You're right, all states have something to offer, some more than others.
I spent too many years landlocked in Ohio. No offense to any Buckeyes out there, but I was miserable. I liked the SE part of the state, but I lived in NE Ohio. Good thing I liked my husband enough to stay there

Quote:
What is a real sure thing is me going to my neighborhood tavern right now and getting myself a beer and burger. Maybe two beers. Maybe thr...
Enjoy those brewskis - but be careful getting back home!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 AM

261 posts, read 502,679 times
Quote:

Great post from a thoughtful poster.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 20,725 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
I don't know if I'd agree. I went to college overseas when I was 19. Truthfully, it was a fantastic experience. Sometimes folks, young and old, need to go for their dreams, even if they don't always turn out to be what was expected (usually the case!). Always good life lessons in there.
thanks!
I think I'll study hard now((in highschool) bc I don't know yet for sure what I want in the future.
& then if I still feel the same way about going to Alaska I'll go to a college there^^

Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
To the OP...depending on what age when you move, it might be worth checking out going through Canada to drive if under 18.....it is hard for a parent to drive with underage children without documentation....if you will be old enough...go for your dreams and be prepared in one way or another to go back and regroup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska