Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,690,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
I love Alaska, and I think it would be home, if I ever managed to live outside of Anchorage. I've never bonded with Anchorage the way I did with Portland and the Oregon Coast (I had a place at Cannon Beach for awhile). There is just something missing here, not sure what it is. If I don't find a way to make a living without having to live in Anc. I'm either going to snowbird or move back to OR. We've been looking at some places in Silverton.

yes, that is it! I have not bonded with Anchorage. It's not home and does not feel like home.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts guys! it has been helpful, believe it or not! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,837,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
It's interesting how many people have gone back and forth between Oregon and Alaska. I lived in Oregon from 1989-2001 (with a bit of time in Arizona as well), and have been in Anchorage since 2001. I love Alaska, and I think it would be home, if I ever managed to live outside of Anchorage. I've never bonded with Anchorage the way I did with Portland and the Oregon Coast (I had a place at Cannon Beach for awhile). There is just something missing here, not sure what it is. If I don't find a way to make a living without having to live in Anc. I'm either going to snowbird or move back to OR. We've been looking at some places in Silverton.
Anchorage felt to me like a lot of various people from all over interspersed with drug and alcohol addicts on the take. I really never did get settled in though. It may be much different for people who had lived there for a while and had a base of friendship.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM

191 posts, read 357,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Anchorage felt to me like a lot of various people from all over interspersed with drug and alcohol addicts on the take. I really never did get settled in though. It may be much different for people who had lived there for a while and had a base of friendship.
I *think* the problem with Anchorage is ..it is a city full of people like us meaning, we want to be in Alaska, but we're in Anchorage because that is where the jobs are. We aren't particularly "city folks." Add the transitory nature of the military and oil folks, and you have ..as Dorothy Parker said about Oakland, a situation where "there is no there, there". You don't get much of a sense of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska