Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM

123 posts, read 201,850 times

Advertisements

Hi! I made a post yesterday and got some good answers from some great people but I didnt get what I was looking for. I believe mostly because I wasnt asking the right questions...So Im going to try again with some different questions. First I am planning a "scouting" trip up to Ketchikan/Jeneau/Anchorage in the summer but I am not looking for the tourist experience exactly, although we will probably do some of that. I want to know about the day to day of living there and the less populated areas right outside the cities. Moving there is a big big big decision and I dont want to go in blind so my question is- any idea on good places to stay? Eat? Interact? Also any information about good job hunting resources? Not really sure where to look (preferably online).And really any information will be helpful so just please offer anything you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
I don't think that you can get the "feel" unless you are actually here. Same for jobs. Employers are so used to people who are interested who never show. Unless you have a career that is in high demand, you will have to be here i would think. Not to be discouraging. When you do come up go to every coffee shop you can, have breakfast and chat. People are friendly here. Ask around and look around. Maybe you will find your spot!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Do you know what is in demand? My husband is a pipefitter/fabricator and does all sorts of pipe work, fire systems, and any kind of welding. Do you think/know/have any idea if there is a demand for that? If we come up where should we do research for jobs that are hiring? The newspaper? Is that a good resource because in NJ where we live the newspaper has kind of gone to the wind...and your best advice for getting to know the area is to talk to people in local areas? Like local business and the such because I just read a thread about tourism in the areas and they made it seem like there arent that many locally owned businesses left, but I may be reading it wrong.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
The thread you're referencing was specific to the port cities; and there aren't a lot of local businesses or local people left in the downtown areas frequented during the season by the cruise ship crowd. You need to get out of those areas if you want to meet locals. It's too bad you can't come at a different time of year.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM

I don't much about pipefitting. Perhaps someone here will comment, however I would phone the local union here in Anchorage and ask around. Talking beats computer/paper any day of the week.

I don't know anything about New Jersey (flew out of there once in a snowstorm) but here people TALK. They have time. It's customary to have several people hogging a supermarket isle with conversation. As well when you sit at the counter in a restaurant people are happy to see you and your smiling eager faces. We like other people cept that Miller guy.

We are not so burdened by debt, worries and other crp that we can't talk to ya. A doctor in San Francisco told me last month after treating several people from here that Alaskans seem to be "easy going". I agree, so yes walk around, start conversations and visit the local areas. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true....

Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM

I also really wish we would visit at a different time of year but alas we have to work around our current schedule. I wasnt aware they had a union! Thats good news because there is actually a person I can call, Im very happy to have that information. I am from a really small town and would love to be able to not rush and actually be able to talk to people. I hope I can actually talk to some helpful locals when we visit. Any other advice or information about moving? Or life there?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM

plumbers & Steamfitters Local 367: Offices 610 West 54th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99518-1137 (907) 562-2810 () ‎ ualocal367.org

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM

In general from my perspective people like the outdoors in any season. Privacy is respected as are boundaries between people mostly. Self reliance, hard work, intolerance for whining, friendship and a sense of adventure are valued. You can do things here in the outdoors that you could never do elsewhere. Alaska is vast. It's hard to describe but the largest National Park is here and relatively untouched. The Copper River Basin is magnificent. One could spend twenty years here just lookin around. Preparation for winter is key. We like to debate here but for my $ a 4WD vehicle is a necessity as are well fitting Winter clothes as a Wintry day here will blow your socks off.

From a financial perspective Alaska is affordable. No state income tax no sales tax saves beaucoup bucks. If you shop wisely you can make up for the loss in $ from high gasoline (currently $3.30). Schools are well thought of, and the University in Anchorage and Fairbanks are rated high. We are the state of NOAA. There is a large Native population who are mostly friendly with their unique culture(s) from many areas of Alaska. Their art and music is a real positive influence. Anchorage is backwards when it comes to politics (my take) but hey who cares...right?

The beauty and ability to get out in it is what makes Alaska a dream. If you love freedom of choice, movement and adventure as well as a strong home fire you may be happy here.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Winters in SE though...won't "blow your socks off" and there's no need to have a 4WD in that part of the state. It doesn't even get below freezing that often on the panhandle. If you do end up moving to that part...well, I'd say to prepare for rain but I'm not too sure how to advise someone to do that. People who have said that they love rain have moved to Ketchikan and been seen three months later running screaming to the airport never to return. Take any idea you ever had about rain and times it by about ten and that will give you some idea of what it can be like.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
I'm sure you've already looked at this site. ALEXsys has the most comprehensive listing of jobs in the State. If you want the full information on specifics for each job you will have to register on the website. The zip code for Ketchikan is 99901. Good luck with your search. Also, I like to read SITNEWS to keep up with stuff going on in Ketchikan.

ALEXsys - The Alaska Labor Exchange System - Home Page

SitNews - Stories In The News - Ketchikan, Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska