Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 PM

18 posts, read 27,264 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

***I've been looking through a lot of these posts but was really hoping for some personal info; I apologize if my following questions are answered elsewhere I haven't yet found.

I'm planning on moving to AK (either Juneau or Anchorage but I'm so far leaning towards Juneau????) after the first of the year. I'm 20-something, unmarried, childless, petless, car-less (would love to live somewhere I don't need one) from the Midwest, who has lived in cities, small towns and B-F-E. I prefer the boondocks or very very large downtown-type areas--down here at least.

Where to start????

Umm--weather, I guess. I love snow. Like, L-O-V-E; love. I've read Juneau gets more of a mix precip/ mostly rain, in comparison to Anchorage, but I'm wondering if Anchorage's light-vs-dark ratio will mess with me more since I'll be arriving during winter. I am a night owl/early bird; I get all dopey in the afternoons, and I have absolutely no idea how I'll react living with such a different light-dark split. Opinions?

Having said that, I don't mind the rain; I like it. Not love, but a very strong like. What I don't like is a cold, biting wind. Wind chill can be..err...lol, a pain, certain places here in the Midwest; is that something either one of these cities has issue with? Because that will totally change my opinion of a place. Period. lol. I've recently started tracking the weather of both locations but personal info would be great. I am a wimp about wind.

As for economy/jobs/ I'm a freelance writer so I can do a great deal of work online and don't care if I work "nowhere" jobs along the way, as long as I meet good people and the area is worth it. Are there bad parts of town in Juneau? I'm guessing there are in Anchorage since it's larger, but....? Where?

I would like to have writing group options, workshops, that kind of thing. Anyone have suggestions for networking? One of the main reasons I'm moving is writing.

As for isolation, I like the idea of no roads out of Juneau, though I realize this might be a little impractical. How much does this bug the average out-of-towner? As I mentioned, I will not be bringing a vehicle (it's ancient and no 4w drive) but I want to get the chance to be outdoors. Is this going to negatively impact how much I get out-and-about in the parks and etc, or are a great deal of those places accessible by public transit/biking/hiking? Which town (city? lol) offers more?

I plan on coming up via Bellingham ferry. I've read it's beautiful in winter and I've read it's terrible. If it is terrible (I don't honestly see how it could be, but if it is please explain!!!), is Prince Rupert my best option or should I reconsider flying?

Lastly--and this is in no way actually important (just curious!), when I do go out hiking, what are the average safety issues? Here, for instance, there's none (not to a country girl, anyway). Maybe snakes (don't have those, right?), whitetail deer, turkey, or even (once in a blue moon) a badger/wolverine are about the most threatening things you see out walking. No bears. No wolves. Should I bone up?

Phew. Well, these are just a few of my starting questions. Thanks for reading such a long post! I'm just really, really excited and want to get all the info I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM

26,536 posts, read 36,432,319 times
Well, you're a bit young to join the contest to win a date with CC, but you may as well try anyway. If you win, maybe you can take him hiking with you along a bear trail.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Ladies only please--win a date with CC

Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,973,848 times
Move to Bethel. Plenty jobs available here.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM

LOL.

That was in no way helpful but I will keep the suggestion in mind.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,973,848 times
BethelAK.com

Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM

693 posts, read 1,600,681 times
Jimothea, I am not an Alaska resident so cannot answer your questions...but, great that you have a job doing freelance work that gives you the flexibility to live where you choose. Hope you figure out the right place!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM

WOW! I didn't expect such fast responses; thanks. I've started looking at Bethel but I think it might be both a little too far north and a bit small...I'd rather have amenities or absolute off-the-grid living (which I am in no way prepared for yet!!!!lol), you know? I've got family in southwest AK so I'll see if they can check out Bethel. And thanks for the website, I'm going there now, Warptman.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Having said that, I don't mind the rain; I like it. Not love, but a very strong like. What I don't like is a cold, biting wind. Wind chill can be..err...lol, a pain, certain places here in the Midwest; is that something either one of these cities has issue with? Because that will totally change my opinion of a place. Period. lol. I've recently started tracking the weather of both locations but personal info would be great. I am a wimp about wind.
One of the things about SE Alaska that bugs me is the fing wind. Not sure how bad it is in Juneau though.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM

103 posts, read 297,122 times
Don't do it! Redirect your options to Oregon or in Colorado. Both states top 10 places to relocate for families/industry/schools/rec/and options! Alaskan winters will drive you insane!

I like to drink my coffee with hazelnut cream. All you'll get here in Alaska is black coffee! If you like variety and options turn back! If ur coming up for the pfd then you got ur priorities all wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska