Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,690,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
And that would be why the Lower-48 reservations and the Native villages in Alaska are such bastions of wealth, right?
Look, I'm no expert on this and I have wondered the exact same thing! I see such companies like Bristol Bay Native Corporation, that made a $32 million profit last year, I certainly do not see that wealth spread out among it's shareholders.

These Native Corporations were constructed to help the native communities. They still get preferential treatment and incentives to help them be profitable (although I'm not sure if a company making $32million needs incentives) After all these years, who exactly is benefiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Another one nailed, that poor Stiffy can't refute.
Why even try? Even when faced with unimpeachable evidence that your conclusions are wrong you can't admit that your mistaken. So there is no sense in engaging someone in a spirited fact finding debate when they are closed minded. It's a usless endeavor.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,690,541 times
For what it's worth. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all this **** that the Native people all over America have been put through. But I cannot go back in time.

I'm just going to be nice to everyone and treat everyone how I would want to be treated.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times
Quote:
Given land? They owned the land! They were "paid" 1 billion dollars and most of their land was taken from them. The money paid for lands on which it was known that oil existed in excess of 100 times that amount of money's worth. They were not asked to sell, they were told it was sold.

That's hog wash. Just as many people in urban areas are on public assistance.

So why not stick to facts rather than making up stories?
What part of what I said can't you grasp, it is factual.

All you can add is that people in the cities are on public support as well? Yes they are, but no where near what the villages and small towns levels are at.

In Nenana, I would bet the numbers on public support is about 60% or better. You can't get anyone to work when there is work. In Barrow, many of the jobs are done by outsiders (such as yourself) because many of the locals don't want to work, that is why there is such a large numbers of outsiders there. Pay is very good for those that want to work, but you already know that, it is why you went there.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Another strange or maybe not so, from the children:

Do Alaska's Native Corporations depend on govt handouts like they do in the lower 48 reservation system?
Not necessarily on handouts (don't really know about that), but there is a lot to be learned about contracts and the ANC:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...porations.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-13-2010 at 12:36 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
I feel sorry for RayinAK and starlite. There is no wrath like that of a woman scorned. I have a feeling hellfire and brimstones are about to rain down on your heads. Hope you survive the onslaught.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I feel sorry for RayinAK and starlite. There is no wrath like that of a woman scorned. I have a feeling hellfire and brimstones are about to rain down on your heads. Hope you survive the onslaught.
Is he a woman?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Is he a woman?

Um, maybe he needs to come in from the wilderness.... :-0

Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What part of what I said can't you grasp, it is factual.
They were not "given land". Land was taken away from them.

That is a fact. You can't seem to grasp it. And the idea that they were given money is hilarious, because it was in trade for land and resources that were already known to be worth well over 100 times the money they were "given" as the sale price.
Quote:
All you can add is that people in the cities are on public support as well? Yes they are, but no where near what the villages and small towns levels are at.
That's hog wash, and you can't support it with anything even close to a fact.

The money in this state comes from the bush. The money in this state is spent mostly on urban areas. So who is on "public support"?

Quote:
In Nenana, I would bet the numbers on public support is about 60% or better.
Not that you can support such claims with facts...
Quote:
You can't get anyone to work when there is work. In Barrow, many of the jobs are done by outsiders (such as yourself) because many of the locals don't want to work, that is why there is such a large numbers of outsiders there. Pay is very good for those that want to work, but you already know that, it is why you went there.
I am retired, and have been for a relatively long time. If I had come here for the good pay, why have I been here twice as long while retired as while working? (And indeed I was extremely well paid... when I worked in Fairbanks as well as when I worked in Barrow.)

Your claims about people in Barrow are just like your previous claims about sea ice forming at 28F and Bowhead whales needing to be in open water to breath... a total crock of crap that smells.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
They were not "given land". Land was taken away from them.
So what is your point, they got the land back....

Quote:
That is a fact. You can't seem to grasp it. And the idea that they were given money is hilarious, because it was in trade for land and resources that were already known to be worth well over 100 times the money they were "given" as the sale price.That's hog wash, and you can't support it with anything even close to a fact.
Fact is they were given hundreds of millions of dollars, what part of that didn't you understand...

Quote:
The money in this state comes from the bush. The money in this state is spent mostly on urban areas. So who is on "public support"?
Didn't think you put that much money there, but whatever...

Quote:
Not that you can support such claims with facts...I am retired, and have been for a relatively long time. If I had come here for the good pay, why have I been here twice as long while retired as while working? (And indeed I was extremely well paid... when I worked in Fairbanks as well as when I worked in Barrow.)
You made my point again, you went to Barrow because it paid very well, and you retired, good for you. Most of all the high paying jobs are done by outsiders because the locals simply don't want to work. Why do you think that so many of the outsiders came there, for the money, not the scenery or the life style. They may stay after they retire like you did, but most drag up anchor and leave with their pensions.

Quote:
Your claims about people in Barrow are just like your previous claims about sea ice forming at 28F and Bowhead whales needing to be in open water to breath... a total crock of crap that smells.
The photos of what I posted show ice off the coast a few miles from Prudhoe Bay, that is what shuts down our boating traffic in late September, if you can't grasp that, then so be it since you don't grasp much else either.

The fact that it just started to get cold in Barrow by your standard and all of a sudden the "Big Ice Pack" moves in, proves the ice just moves around, it hasn't been cold enough to freeze into massive chunks. A bit of common sense goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska