U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 AM

471 posts, read 657,818 times

Advertisements

I have avoided coming on the forums around election time, because I can hardly stand the in-forum politics of this community, let alone the real life politics outside of it. However, as a former elected party leader (of a party I will not disclose); I thought I would weigh in on one aspect of the elections that has nothing to do with Lisa or Joe.

I have made my feeling about the late former senator Stevens quite clear (before and after his passing); and just so people don't think I am in camp for one side or the other -- His endorsement of a Candidate surely isn't going to make me want to vote for them any more (possibly made me want to vote for them less).

Here is the thing though:
We would have never had the Lisa write-in issue in the first place, if we would change our ballot access laws. I think now is a perfect time to re-examine them. While we have some of the easiest requirements to become an official political party in the nation -- we still make it difficult for third party candidates and independent candidates on the ballot.

Why should write-in candidates not be allowed on the ballot, or if we really want to have space on the ballot, why not just have a list of all the candidates running, and assign them a number... and then you can put in the number for the candidate that you want to vote for? Democracy isn't about a two party system, its about a system which allows new ideas. We as Alaskans know the importance of that more than anyone. Did anyone notice that none of the candidates put their political affiliations in their ads? Because they know that Alaska doesn't care about their party affiliations (they do tend to side with the politics of republicans, but we would vote for a democrat if they served our interests best).

The problem that our country is facing isn't caused by the Republicans nor is it being caused by the Democrats... its being caused by a system where both sides realize that if they create enough drama, they can keep perpetually getting more money.

The Dems and the GOP are basically the same thing, actually if we look back over the past 60 years... the Dems and the GOP have basically switched sides on every issue. If we had a system where instead of people all siding up against the other, and we just had a bunch of third party candidates actually fight and work out issues and come up with the best idea... we would solve our problems faster.

Alaska is a very independent state, we don't need other people telling us what to do. Hell we get pissy when someone from outside tries to make laws that affect us, in any way. Because it's our state. So why do we allow ourselves to fall to the same two party system that the rest of the nation is stupidly following.

So the "other thing" is that while I might not agree with Lisa, on most things. I do thank her for sticking it to the man, and hope that she takes a look at ballot access for the United States while she is a senator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,825,010 times
You've been in Alaska for how long now?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM

A year and a half now.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,004,169 times
By ballot access laws are you talking about the primary? Or what?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,525,306 times
I think you might be onto something!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM

The primary system is for the two major parties to select who will represent them. In my system there is no real need for a primary (though they would still take place, so the major parties can select who they want as their representative), but the rest would just wind up on the final ballot.

Hell, to ensure there are only valid entries we could require a petition with 100 signatures and a 100 dollar deposit. That would kill anyone who is just putting their name on the ballot to be silly. Most people, even in the rural villages could get 100 signatures just going door-to-door (If they want to allow for entries from the villages of people with very small populations it could be 100 signatures or 10% of the population whatever is less).

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM

I would go along with that if it were combined with a preferential voting system.

Preferential voting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That would be a much better system.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 PM

That is different than ballot access, thats more of voting style. Ballot Access Reform is limited to actually getting on the ballot, opposed to how the voting process works.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM

924 posts, read 913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I would go along with that if it were combined with a preferential voting system.

Preferential voting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That would be a much better system.
I have some doubts that this would be a valid method of casting ballots under the one man one vote rule of law. Some corporations use proportional voting where if there are three seats to be filled a person with 100 votes or shares of stock could cast 300 votes for one candidate or 100 votes for each candidate or any combination that adds up to the requisite number of allowable votes. It isn't used anywhere in the United States in any political forum and I don't recall it ever being subject to a Court test.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM

It does work in other countries and I believe in some local governments. You can't vote more than once for any one candidate. For example, you couldn't make one candidate your first through 5th choice. I suppose you could however only vote for one candidate as your first choice and then not make a second choice...everyone should have the freedom to give up a choice, but not to make more than one choice.

Here is another variation of the same idea. Instant-runoff voting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It would eliminate primaries and give second tier candidates a shot at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska