Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM

2,519 posts, read 6,995,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
wow...did the bad mood fairy sprinkle you guys with nasty meanness dust or what???

I have to say...this gave me a chuckle this morning. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,607,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
wow...did the bad mood fairy sprinkle you guys with nasty meanness dust or what???
This may not have occurred to you, but the above is one of the meanest, nastiest, and most obnoxious insults anyone has posted in this thread.

You've used a very broad brush to paint all "guys" here as the same, and indicated that sameness is unacceptable. You don't specify what anyone, much less everyone, said that you object to. You don't specify who actually said something you object to. Instead you broadly indict everyone for broadly everything!

There are at least a couple ways to interpret that, but it isn't possible to know what interpretation you intended. It does sound very much as if you want everyone to post articles that have no specifics, other than to specifically agree with what ever you have said!

It is the diversity of opinion and facts stated by a variety of individuals that makes this forum useful. Insulting everyone by decrying either differences of opinions or the concept of those opinions being very specific responses is counter productive. Posts such as yours are also very common, and almost any thread that is intense generates such posts from individuals who aren't interested and/or cannot understand the topic, and therefore think nobody else should.

People of course can make such posts if they like, but they should be ignored and they do reflect on the credibility of other posts authored by the same individual.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM

2,519 posts, read 6,995,016 times
Floyd, I agree with you that it is the diversity of opinions that makes the forum useful. I agree with a lot of your opinions.

I also appreciate the fact that you don't hide behind an alias but use your real name.

I think that your opinions would sway more people if they were presented with a little more tact. On the other hand, you probably enjoy presenting them in the way that you do and that's your right.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,842,441 times
Maybe I should conduct a test of all the advice I have received and see what happens. I am definitely going to buy the inside shrink-wrap plastic in the next week. Maybe I will buy a roll of the visqueen too, I already convinced my son that he could do the outside part (with my supervision), if we do it on the outside.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,607,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
your opinions would sway more people if they were presented with a little more tact.
Translation: Don't tell it like it is, tell what Marty Van Diest wants to hear. (And lets remember that Marty made an overt effort to defraud disabled Alaskans of their right to vote.)
Quote:
On the other hand, you probably enjoy presenting them in the way that you do and that's your right.
It is correct that I have no intent to post what a person who would defaud disabled Alaska voters wants to hear. :-)

Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,577,961 times
Instead of going through the hassle of putting plastic wrap on your windows, just buy yourself a Snuggie. You can even get one for your pet.

Snuggie ®

Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,842,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Instead of going through the hassle of putting plastic wrap on your windows, just buy yourself a Snuggie. You can even get one for your pet.

Snuggie ®
That would be nice, but it gets too cold in the house when it drops below zero, was having trouble with the cold coming in the windows. If it gets as cold inside as it did when it was just -5 then think of what could happen if it goes to -30 or lower? Got to keep the inside at least in the range of 60 degrees. Ha, that would be cute to have Snuggies on my cats! I have been thinking about getting the two-legged folks a Snuggie.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,577,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
That would be nice, but it gets too cold in the house when it drops below zero, was having trouble with the cold coming in the windows. If it gets as cold inside as it did when it was just -5 then think of what could happen if it goes to -30 or lower? Got to keep the inside at least in the range of 60 degrees. Ha, that would be cute to have Snuggies on my cats! I have been thinking about getting the two-legged folks a Snuggie.
I know, putting wrap on your windows will help. Getting an energy efficient space heater will also help.

After your windows are sealed, put on a Snuggie and set a space heater close by and you'll be as snug as a bug in an Alaskan rug.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 PM

693 posts, read 1,598,693 times
This is kind of an interesting topic...

So, I live in a house nearly as old as our country. I have huge issues with moisture as well as cold air leaking in, due to a humid climate and a drafty house. I have been told by some contractors to put insulation and a moisture barrier underneath the house. But old house experts say nay. The house has to breathe, otherwise you trap the moisture in and that's what starts the rot. The house is still standing with it's original frame, sans moisture barrier, so I decided to continue in the tradition.

It seems to me the problem with a double barrier and rot/mold would be if you had a faulty window design from the start (as has been mentioned) and moisture already present. If you have neither, then a double barrier won't make a difference.

But then again, I don't understand very well the concept of dew point and how extremely cold temps affect rot and blah blah.

The only thing I've come to understand as the owner of an old house (as opposed to an old house owner ) is that by blocking things up that already have moisture present, you will create problems. If no moisture is present, you are good to go.

Gobrien, I don't own a Snuggie, but my fat down blanket has served me well!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,693,063 times
You could seal up your house very tight, might take some doing in an older home. Then you would need to install a fresh air intake and an exhaust fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: