Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 PM

69 posts, read 139,983 times

Advertisements

1999 Silverado 4x4 w/snow tires and studs
LA to Fairbanks, AK
Couple in early 30's w/3 cats and 2 large dogs
24/7 driving (still under debate with wife)

* Note: This is not everything I'm doing. Just a list of things I have questions on. I've read dozens of threads on moving to AK.

- Towing Chain/Rope

For getting out of ditches. My father in law suggested a chain. Any preferences for hard AK winters?

- Radiator Protection

Do I need a wire mesh to protect against kicked up rocks? What about a wind deflector to keep the radiator from freezing? If so what are they called? I found a Front Air Deflector, but that seems for aerodynamics.

- Bright headlights for night driving. Headlight covers needed?

- Winterize the truck

- winter grade anti-freeze/break/power steering/transmission/axles/windshield wiper fluids
- block heater (plug in)
- oil pan heater
- strong battery

Do I need a transmission heater? Do I need a battery blanket?

- Misc Questions:

Special vehicle jacks needed for AK? Any problems with hydraulic jacks in sub zero weather? Do the Canadian Border Guards check for $200k liability insurance? I only carry 50k I think. Do they ask for a "Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Insurance Liability Card"?

I know you're not supposed to gas up with the vehicle running anywhere, but lots of people do it here in LA. Is this a major no-no in AK because of the cold/increased static electricity?

How long can your vehicle be off before it won't start again in sub zero temps? 15 min, 1-2 hours, 4 hours? What is the lowest temp that vehicles will start in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,698,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc5831 View Post
1999 Silverado 4x4 w/snow tires and studs
LA to Fairbanks, AK
Couple in early 30's w/3 cats and 2 large dogs
24/7 driving (still under debate with wife)
If your wife is not comfortable doing this, dont do it!
* Note: This is not everything I'm doing. Just a list of things I have questions on. I've read dozens of threads on moving to AK.

- Towing Chain/Rope
I recommend the Tow Strap because when it cold, dealing with frozen metal sucks.

For getting out of ditches. My father in law suggested a chain. Any preferences for hard AK winters?

- Radiator Protection

Do I need a wire mesh to protect against kicked up rocks? What about a wind deflector to keep the radiator from freezing? If so what are they called? I found a Front Air Deflector, but that seems for aerodynamics.

Cardboard box, flattened.

- Bright headlights for night driving. Headlight covers needed?

- Winterize the truck

- winter grade anti-freeze/break/power steering/transmission/axles/windshield wiper fluids
- block heater (plug in)
- oil pan heater
- strong battery
battery blanket
tanny heater, yes. Your destination is Fairbanks so you will need both

Do I need a transmission heater? Do I need a battery blanket?

- Misc Questions:

Special vehicle jacks needed for AK? Any problems with hydraulic jacks in sub zero weather? Do the Canadian Border Guards check for $200k liability insurance? I only carry 50k I think. Do they ask for a "Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Insurance Liability Card"?
Never been asked for either but you might get that ONE guard! LOL

I know you're not supposed to gas up with the vehicle running anywhere, but lots of people do it here in LA. Is this a major no-no in AK because of the cold/increased static electricity?
that's not an issue here. We dont care.

How long can your vehicle be off before it won't start again in sub zero temps? 15 min, 1-2 hours, 4 hours? What is the lowest temp that vehicles will start in?
With no heaters, you might have a hard time starting it up at 15F in the morning. At -50F it can only take a few hours. Depending on the vehicle. We had a Suburban bought in Montana and that sucker NEVER liked starting in the cold. Weird. I'd say that you never park any vehicle overnight without plugging it in. It might be 30F when you go to bed but be -30 in the AM.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,698,869 times
And do not forget your spare tire and since you are driving in the winter, bring an extra gas can.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,347,976 times
GPS Tom Tom basic one with Canada Maps built in..

Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,889,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
GPS Tom Tom basic one with Canada Maps built in..
Hahaha. If you are on the Alcan, it's a bit hard to get lost... There is just the one road.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:20 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,973,848 times
Make sure you fill your ipod with all sorts of music, CBC sucks.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,973,848 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...good-eats.html

Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

158 posts, read 320,725 times
What about rabies shot papers and Vet checkup Papers?
The children (my teens) and I are hopefully coming up soon. I think we will fly. Ya'll be safe ok?

Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,669,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeaches View Post
What about rabies shot papers and Vet checkup Papers?
The children (my teens) and I are hopefully coming up soon. I think we will fly. Ya'll be safe ok?
If your driving...pets have to have paper that are less than 30 days old for shots...have a great trip and keep us up to date with the travels! safe travels and have a great time!

Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 139,983 times
I plan on making a "Mother of All Moving To Alaska Threads" thread on all my preparations. I've been researching for a year and am pretty sure I haven't missed anything that will make the trip disastrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: