U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 AM

42 posts, read 29,248 times
Default Food Bill or Farm Bill -- what are your thoughts??

What are everyone's thoughts on the new bill that just passed?

Do you think the government is trying to help or hinder us? What about the talk of controlling seeds and banning small farms? Would love to hear everyone's input!! Here is some interesting reading.
http://www.naturalnews.com/030587_Se...od_Safety.html

Last edited by Qanuk; 12-01-2010 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: added a link
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM

5,320 posts, read 6,963,000 times
I honestly think this belongs over in the politics forum.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM

42 posts, read 29,248 times
You are probably right.. I was just wondering about how everyone in Alaska felt about it, especially when food cost an arm and a leg already.. and the good chance we might not be "allowed" to save seeds anymore..

Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM

15,940 posts, read 15,511,541 times
I'm not personally crazy about the bill but I think the linky you posted was written by whackaloons. And I will continue to save my marijauna and opium seeds. And Stiff, gth.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM

1,045 posts, read 836,740 times
I supect that the article is bogus. The "government" would not be able to stop people from saving seeds even if they wanted to.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM

693 posts, read 921,771 times
S. 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (GovTrack.us)

here's the bill if you want to read it.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM

109 posts, read 76,824 times
Thank you Melbern, the bill reads like stereo instructions but at least it's not an interpretation from either side of the issue.

The FDA has already proven itself incapable of handling food oversight in our country. New laws that give it more sweeping power won't make it any less inept... But potentially will make it more dangerous, in the sense that it will have a bigger club with which to swing blindly.

These are the same people that think genetically engineered salmon are not only okay, there is no need to notify the people buying it that it isn't natural food. Because it's genetically "close."

How does this thread relate to Alaska? Well, as has already been stated, increased food prices will be felt nowhere more keenly than Alaska. Cost of the food rises, fuel continues to rise, quickly the economics will steer towards "go local or go hungry."

Personally it's just another nail in the coffin of the -48 for me, I want outta here. Stop the crazy train, let me off, I'd rather hunt and fish for my food, manage my garden, and live somewhere that my personal freedoms are at least relatively intact. If the bill demonizers ARE right, well, I doubt the FDA would spend all the effort required riding the marine highway for two days to come pull my bush beans out of the dirt. More apt to be the bears, I reckon.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,420,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdoc View Post
Thank you Melbern, the bill reads like stereo instructions but at least it's not an interpretation from either side of the issue.

The FDA has already proven itself incapable of handling food oversight in our country. New laws that give it more sweeping power won't make it any less inept... But potentially will make it more dangerous, in the sense that it will have a bigger club with which to swing blindly.

These are the same people that think genetically engineered salmon are not only okay, there is no need to notify the people buying it that it isn't natural food. Because it's genetically "close."

How does this thread relate to Alaska? Well, as has already been stated, increased food prices will be felt nowhere more keenly than Alaska. Cost of the food rises, fuel continues to rise, quickly the economics will steer towards "go local or go hungry."

Personally it's just another nail in the coffin of the -48 for me, I want outta here. Stop the crazy train, let me off, I'd rather hunt and fish for my food, manage my garden, and live somewhere that my personal freedoms are at least relatively intact. If the bill demonizers ARE right, well, I doubt the FDA would spend all the effort required riding the marine highway for two days to come pull my bush beans out of the dirt. More apt to be the bears, I reckon.

Agreed, except, that also includes moving far outside of Anchorage.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM

17,581 posts, read 11,192,994 times
What has this thread to do with Alaska?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM

109 posts, read 76,824 times
Reading is hard, Glitch. Maybe try television?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska