Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:00 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

There is a shipyard in Seward, Ketchikan and a bunch of smaller coastal towns you might Google to see about applying for work. You may be able to find something that is doable...

Good luck on your Dream...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM

123 posts, read 201,729 times
So we are officially without right now, there isnt enough money coming in for the amount that needs to go out. We are really trying to work out a budget to make the most of what me have and I am also looking for a job so we can put some money away. I am really really trying to hold onto this dream and I greatly appreciate all the kind words of encouragement you are providing, all of you!! I would like to ask about something someone posted. He said I would need 10k at least to even think of moving...how accurate is that figure, and what would you recommend?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
He said I would need 10k at least to even think of moving...how accurate is that figure, and what would you recommend?
your going to get answers ranging all over the place on this one.....depends on how resourceful you are...people have done it on a whole lot less and some can't make it on 10K....that being said...narrow down the area you want to move to....find out approx rent, utilities, vehicle gas etc...if your moving by driving stuff up...that is an added expense to the bill....some people can live very cheap as far as things go...you eat inexpensive foods, luxury items are a not...amazing what you do not need that you spend money on...best of luck

Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM

206 posts, read 513,822 times
blueflame50 nailed it, your gonna need to finalize an actual destination before a starting budget can be figured out.

While 10k seems like a large amount, depending where you end up it might be not enough.

I am sure though if the two of you keep looking and calling on jobs you end up with a few offers to consider.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
He is a marine pipefitter/outfitter. He works at a shipyard right now (or did anyway). He does welding and fire systems and outfitting on ships. We were hoping to get him in working with ships/boats up there since there is a vast amount of water travel but we are willing to start anywhere!!
Have you checked here? I know you've posted about this before but I can't recall if anyone posted this linky:

Alaska Ship & Drydock

Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Have you checked here? I know you've posted about this before but I can't recall if anyone posted this linky:

Alaska Ship & Drydock
Yeah we have already sent them a resume, now just waiting to see if we hear anything back. We shall see but we are definately taking this oppurtunity for him to improve his job skills with some new ones added

Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM

So frustrated about this stupid situation!! Uhhh it is difficult to be in this situation. Just so tired already and we have a while to go before it gets better. Unemployment sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska