U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,413,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Well it is possible to change EXIF data.

but since the sun doesn't come above the horizon until Jan,

that can't be the sun, it surely must be something else !

I am not from around here so I wouldnt know.
Your powers of observation are just astounding. I do believe you got it right, that just can't be the sun! It must be, nooooo. Not a UFO?

Somebody somewhere at sometime simply must have identified that object in the sky on December 21, 2007. I say that with utmost assurance, simply because darned if I haven't seen the same object hundreds of time since then. I've observed it carefully. There are often cows jumping over it. It's clearly made of blue cheese. And it has the distinct face of a man on it now and then. Plus sometimes it's full, and sometimes its cresent, other times half. The darned thing has phases!

And besides that, every kid who is more than about 4 years old knows what it is, so I just have to ask you what in tarnation is the matter with you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Wow what an awesome photograph floyd; Dec 21st and the sun is high in the sky ???? blink blink; um, er, is that the sun in the photograph ? it can't be. You said the sun doesn't come back above the horizon until near the end of Jan the 23 or24,

Something doesn't make any sense with your 'photo'. what is that yellow ball in the sky ? the moon ? A street light ?

How is it possible that your photograph was taken on Dec 21st ???

something doesn't make sense the EXIF data says Dec 21st

and the sun is visible !!! wow you are an expert !! The sun appears a month early !!! and it is HIGH in the sky !!!
Never heard of the moon, eh?

Now, think about what I meant when I made this comment on that particular photograph:

"On my webpage is a photo showing what December 21st looks like. This one has been there for three years, and was taken in 2007. It isn't as useful as the one referenced earlier simply because there are no other lights to compare the brightness to."

Do you see the point of that comment now? Some total dumbkoff looks at the picture and can't tell if it is the sun, or an exceptional image of mars. So it really doesn't demonstrate the relative level of sunlight on December 21st. The more recent image that I've posted was taken specifically to show exactly that. It has street lights. It has vehicle headlights. It has twilight in the sky and no confusing orbs. It does a good job, eh?

Quote:
It may surprise you: The shortest sunset is not the same day as the shortest day.
My friend, you are going off the deep end.

The last sunset in Barrow happened on November 18th. That's been a while back now. It might surprise you, but people who live 300 plus miles north of the Arctic Circle are not exactly amazed at a disconnect between sunsets and shortness of the daylight!
Quote:
Year's Earliest Sunset not on Year's Shortest Day

Year's Earliest Sunset not on Shortest Day

The shortest day is Dec21st NOT DEC 22ND.
Did anyone say that Dec 22nd was the shortest day? The Winter Solstice happens at 2:38 PM on December 21, 2010. A quick computer calulation shows:

Date__________Sun Transite____Start Civil Twilight____End Civil Twilight__Amount of Civil Twilgiht
December 18___1:24 PM________11:53 AM___________2:54 PM___________3:01
December 19___1:24 PM________11:54 AM___________2:54 PM___________3:00
December 20___1:25 PM________11:55 AM___________ 2:54 PM___________2:59
December 21___1:25 PM________11:55 AM___________ 2:55 PM___________3:00
December 22___1:26 PM________11:56 AM___________ 2:55 PM___________2:59
December 23___1:26 PM________11:56 AM___________ 2:56 PM___________3:00
December 24___1:27 PM________11:56 AM___________ 2:57 PM___________3:01

The numbers are all rounded to the nearest minute, and you can observe the neat little anomaly that results: the computer program calculates a minute less on both December 20 and December 22 than it does on December 21. Which actually means it's all within 30 seconds or so of the same for 5 days.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM

351 posts, read 580,741 times
The sun in Barrow (what with clouds and all).

Just some observations from a recent transplant to Barrow.

Last year, I think it was in April, it was the normal heavy overcast skies and I was out my front door when my neighbor came out and looked up and said something to the effect "wow the moon looks neat". I pointed out to him that was the sun! As the moon wasn't visible at all. If that happens when the sun is about 35 degrees above the horizon - just imagine what that kind of overcast sky can do when the sun is 6+ degrees below the horizon. There are days when it is very dark even during the lightest part of the day - sometimes you can't read a sign across the street, much less read a newspaper. During a blizzard last year I also could barely make out headlights at 30 feet, and the next door house at about 20 feet simply wasn't there.
So any discussion of actual light and dark needs to account for 'other' factors. It doesn't matter if the sun is at the horizon or 6+ degrees below - it can be dark. A couple of days ago I watched a slight aurora at 7am!

Right now however there are several hours of useful daylight. I've got some outdoor work lined up for next week and I've scheduled it for between 11:00am (still a little too dark) to 3:00pm (also a little too dark) - I expect to have about 1 hour of poor light, then 2 hours of decent light (when I won't need my head lamp) then 1 hour of poor light to work in.

Right now it's 10:30am and it is NIGHT. Stars are visible (except for some clouds) but if I go where it's dark - you can't see much of your surroundings at all. Don't forget though, as Floyd posted previously, Barrow is well lit with street lights, so in town you are in a lighted area. Get out of town and it's night. I think no matter what picture you see - you just won't get the real feel unless you spend some time here and actually pay attention. One really neat thing about this time of year are the colors on the horizon, beginning when it starts to get light until it starts to get dark. It's like a 3 or 4 hour sunset, seeing that over the frozen tundra or ocean is always a treat.

Not re-hash what has been overdone but Barrow isn't for everyone! I personally have found it to be inviting, though the environment can sometimes be harsh. I have no problem walking from Barrow to Browerville in -30 to -40 temps even with the wind - but a lot of people just won't do that. I just have to chip the ice off my beard and mustache. Barrow doesn't really try to please anyone - it just is. However we have all the modern conviences. Running water and sewage (for most houses), gas, electricity, cable TV, internet etc. A police force, fire department, a few grocery stores, auto mechanics, NAPA and Checkers, an asian store, a good number of restaurants, medical facilities, schools, good library etc. AND some very, very good people. For some folks that's enough for others it isn't. How full does YOUR cup need to be to make you happy or at least satisfied ?
What we don't have is overcrowding, excessive traffic (5 cars lined up at an intersection is a traffic jam), worry about walking around, being mugged. It's OK for kids to be out playing - you aren't going to worry about some pervert. Instead we have people who will help you when you need it, clean air and a personal freedom which is sorely lacking in many places.

For anyone who can't stand Barrow I can probably find a good number who really like it.

Of course with no kids (or other real obligations) - it's easier for me, than for others.

On the subject of the NARL hotel. Right now due to the new hospital and some research work, NARL hotel does not accept individual clients. I do some maintenance out there and there are signs clearly posted that accommodations are only for educators, researchers, contractors and crew members.

Brian

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,131 times
The vampires don't roam the streets, they hang out in the quanichak waiting for you to open the door.... Buah hah hah hah! _

Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Girl View Post
The vampires don't roam the streets, they hang out in the quanichak waiting for you to open the door.... Buah hah hah hah! _
quanichak - is that how to spell it? I've always wondered but keep forgetting to ask someone who would know.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Girl View Post
Vampires in the quanichak... sounds just like Commies Under the Bed!

It must be them liberals! (Or, maybe just another right wingnut fantasy?) Who wrote the script for that movie???

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 3,518,480 times
Its not vampires that the natives of Barrow are worried about.

Just ask any native about Tuttuman !!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Today was a perfect example of overcast skies and dim light. It never really got bright today. All day long just dim light. Compared to a couple of days ago - it was dark today.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:41 AM

I mentioned previously that on the Solstice I'd be shooting more pictures just for the purpose of showing what the twilight on December 21 looks like in Barrow. I spent the time from about an hour before the beginning of Civil Twilight (which started at 11:55 AM) until a while past Solar Noon (at 1:25 PM) taking shots that hopefully would be at least a little bit interesting, and perhaps even nice to look at, as well as just being documentary.

I've put 15 of them on my website at Barrow Twilight on the Winter Solstice

The website presentation is not finished yet, but the difference between what is there now and what it will be when finished probably is not noticeable. Each image has a bit of commentary that goes with it, which can be seen by clicking on the image itself to get a page unique to that image, which will include Exif data and the comments.

I've selected four images to post here.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,745,909 times
Great photos, Floyd. The lighting in a couple of them remind me of late late summer nights and early early mornings in Fairbanks. You just took me back to a few 2am's in my long ago youth.

The nativity creche and star are cool as well. Thanks for helping remind us of the true reason for the season.

Richard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska