Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,382,393 times

Advertisements

I watched it twice.. I was appaled when they killed the Black Bear for coming onto their land.
I may have the wrong mindset..But I figure they came onto the Black Bears land.
That Bear did not harass them, it went after some food carelessly left out by one of the kids.
Bears do that, any person with basic camping knowlege knows this.

Just for the record i'm not a tree hugging conservation guy.. I enjoy some In season hunting myself from time to time..

Sorry I just read the post above mine..

Last edited by Caligula1; 01-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Read post above mine

Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
too bad some agency didn't press charges on them for killing the cub bear~

Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM

6,243 posts, read 5,028,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
too bad some agency didn't press charges on them for killing the cub bear~
It wasn't a cub Blue - yearling maybe?

I spent most of the episodes laughing at the combined idiocy of these schmos. But they were in Haines Alaska for heavens' sakes. At one point the narrator somberly volunteered that the ratio of humans to bears in the area was 1:3.

I'm willing to bet that ratio is much higher. They gonna kill 'em all???

Oh yeah - one's power hungry and confrontational; one has a total lack of consideration for on sight safety; one is old and senile and accident prone and has gold fever; and one's a morph head (takes morphine for an old back injury).

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,459,833 times
What are the rules for killing a bear? Besides needing a permit? (which at least they had) Not trying to stick up for them, but just wondering.

And yes, sensationalism at its best - I could "bearly" stand to watch it. However, I just had to see what everyone here was talking about.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:03 PM

163 posts, read 418,862 times
I was mislead about the show....I thought it was about Alaskans who know how to take care of their own property.....not a bunch of dumb Oregonians who came up here to rip up the land and kill as they please.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
I saw a few episodes last night. Good grief, where to begin? That guy's kids leaving food out then getting aggressive when someone asked the kids nciely to stop it. The bridge incident. The fish and game person stopped them from pumping water in a way that would catch fish. That young fellow next door had to show them how to rig up one of their pieces of equipment. But perhaps the biggest example of stupidity is this: they simply took someone's word at face value that there was gold on the claim and paid them to dig there, and they dumped more money into equipment than I could keep track of, ensuring they had no way to even break even, particularly given their lack of expertise. Boy was that a waste of 3 hours of my life last night, but it was like watching a train wreck...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM

879 posts, read 1,718,779 times
I don't know what these guy's ultimate haul was, but I'm pretty sure I could take my truck, camper, a small trailer, some provisions, a gold pan, a sluice box, a pump, a generator, and a few hand tools and be way ahead of them financially. The amount of money they dumped into heavy equipment, etc. ensured their failure given their paltry time frame.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I don't know what these guy's ultimate haul was, but I'm pretty sure I could take my truck, camper, some provisions, a gold pan, a sluice box, a pump, a generator, and a few hand tools and be way ahead of them financially. The amount of money they dumped into heavy equipment, etc. ensured their failure given their paltry time frame.
Yeah, I could see someone at least not losing everything they have if they stick with some small scale stuff in areas known to have good placer gold...some people even make money doing it, I hear...

I've done some gold prospecting myself (and everyone laughs about it, in Vermont...). I have a tiny little nugget around here somewhere and a little dust. It took all summer one year to find it...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
If I hear " No guts, no glory" again from that stupid old fart who calls himself in charge of that bunch or misfits I'm gonna shoot my TV.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I don't know what these guy's ultimate haul was, but I'm pretty sure I could take my truck, camper, a small trailer, some provisions, a gold pan, a sluice box, a pump, a generator, and a few hand tools and be way ahead of them financially. The amount of money they dumped into heavy equipment, etc. ensured their failure given their paltry time frame.
was posted in an article in the Haines news....about $20,000....so...break that down between them...then deduct equiptment, fuel, food, etc...they lost their shirts....good thing they were being paid and set up by the boobtube masterminds of these idiotic shows they have dreamed up. money would be better spent and better true information if they did documentaries of the real Alaska and people instead of this mindless garbage that is only going to attract the simply minded one to think they can do this stuff in Alaska..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska