Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM

941 posts, read 1,779,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I saw a few episodes last night. Good grief, where to begin? That guy's kids leaving food out then getting aggressive when someone asked the kids nciely to stop it. ... ...
That young fellow next door had to show them how to rig up ...their pieces of equipment.... .... Boy was that a waste of 3 hours of my life last night, but it was like watching a train wreck...
The train wreck was in slow motion and was being directed by a retard. (Forgive me for the use of SP's term) Discovery Communications is a publicly owned company that provides content to cable suppliers. Lately it seems their hiring standards have taken a turn for the worse and the personnel making choices for the content being produced is slipping into the realm of borderline mediocrity. They recently paired up with Oprah on what is being called OWN. Some of their content on TLC is considered educational but most is mind numbingly boring. I don't know what real crabbers thought of The Deadliest Catch but from what is being posted here they have hit a new low with the Gold Mining Show that is the top of their current lineup. I find some of their content to be worthwhile watching but the insistence on the voice over always telling us of the impending doom that might happen if y follows x is downright boring. Who ever is in charge of keeping that type of programming is the dumbest of the dumb. I know years ago when I was part of shooting publicity type shorts the nuance was always keeping the audience entertained so they wouldn't switch channels. But now maybe that has switched to the other channel is just as bad so it doesn't matter what we show the viewer. It's actually like the elections where you get to choose the least undesirable candidate.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,820,018 times
OK, so I finally actually saw this show... wow. These guys are morons. The one I saw, they had jerry-rigged some sort of sifting machine. It completely failed. After like 4 feet of dirt. Why on EARTH would you move up to the most hostile environment on the planet and attempt to mine gold - something you have never done before?! I mean... what a terrible idea. The worst part about it is that it isn't even an entertaining TV show. It could at least be fun or interesting to watch, but it's not even that.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,603,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Why on EARTH would you move up to the most hostile environment on the planet and attempt to mine gold - something you have never done before?!
You might try researching the "back" story. It was only after they sold the concept show idea to the Discovey Channel that this even happened. You aren't watching a real show about real gold miners doing real stuff. This is all totally entertainment. Nothing about it is real.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
The train wreck was in slow motion and was being directed by a retard. (Forgive me for the use of SP's term) Discovery Communications is a publicly owned company that provides content to cable suppliers. Lately it seems their hiring standards have taken a turn for the worse and the personnel making choices for the content being produced is slipping into the realm of borderline mediocrity. They recently paired up with Oprah on what is being called OWN. Some of their content on TLC is considered educational but most is mind numbingly boring. I don't know what real crabbers thought of The Deadliest Catch but from what is being posted here they have hit a new low with the Gold Mining Show that is the top of their current lineup. I find some of their content to be worthwhile watching but the insistence on the voice over always telling us of the impending doom that might happen if y follows x is downright boring. Who ever is in charge of keeping that type of programming is the dumbest of the dumb. I know years ago when I was part of shooting publicity type shorts the nuance was always keeping the audience entertained so they wouldn't switch channels. But now maybe that has switched to the other channel is just as bad so it doesn't matter what we show the viewer. It's actually like the elections where you get to choose the least undesirable candidate.
Yep. Seems to be a contest between different channels of how stupid a show they can make and still get people to watch. That's why I watch so little TV anymore. I don't even own one anymore, I only catch TV on others' TV's...

Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
Thumbs down morons

I watched the first three shows of Alaska gold miners and I refuse to watch any more of this contrived crap and sincerly hope the series is cancled and send the hoffmans back to that flea bag of an airport in Sandy Or. About the only thing that could land there is a helicopter

Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,463,373 times
The bad part is that a 2 yr old girl had seizures that they think was brought on by the environment... They are not filtering or boiling drinking water... And I thought Florida had a lot of and large mosquitos.

In Florida it feels like the mosquitos mate with the ducks, in Alaska they must mate with the grizzly bears! Dang those things are HUGE and vicious. They are using DEET for repllent which is a no-no for little kids and according to my peditrician, if you ABSOLUTELY have to use it, apply it sparingly and try to hit the clothes with it and NOT the skin.

It was entertaining for me (I never considered it a reality show anyways) until they started endangering children. I like the scenery, since I have never been to AK....

Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,097,983 times
I know of a company that has done some mining in Mexico, using a real mining company. The show is called "Cowboy Mining," and will some out sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,783,262 times
Didn't you guys hear that Discovery announced it is the #1 cable tv show?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,855,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Didn't you guys hear that Discovery announced it is the #1 cable tv show?

That's what I was about to point out. If this show is so "boring", and "not entertaining", then pray tell why is it number 1? Somebody must be watching it...

But I do agree: what a bunch of inept, disfunctional guys pretending to be miners.

I'm concerned that as a result of this show, we're gonna see a swarm of similar greenhorns up here come summer, running hogwild through the woods "looking for the gold just laying on the ground".
"We're all millionaires...you just gotta dig it outta the ground"....

Bud

Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,463,373 times
Bud. I hope Alaska has a good welfare and food program then. It is so expensive to get to and from ak that they will all be stuck there...

If anything that show should tell people that it is NOT easy to do and it takes a lot of money to try and figure it out. Look at how much help they have had and then look at what they spent money wise.

I know that i am not a miner, but if I was thinking about getting into it that show would discourage me from trying. Although going out and fishing for Salmon looks promising. That out of work real estate agent made $600 in one day doing that... iMHO he should have stuck with that gauranteed income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska