Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,911 times

Advertisements

So I get it, there's quite a few earthquakes around and in Alaska.

I'm just curious - how earthquake proof are your homes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Most of the earthquakes, if they can be felt at all, just shake so little it feels like someone bumped the furniture. I don't know anybody who has an earthquake proof house, but I have been in a 13 story building in Anchorage built on rollers so that it can withstand an earthquake. It is quite an experience to be in a minor quake in that building.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
My house is insulated with urethane foam. It's rigid and tight as a drum. Of course proper nailing for shear strength helps. It's still standing after 30 years!

I'm not sure what it would do being a 2 story place if a/the big one hit.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
My house is not really earthquake proof but it was here during and after the last big one.

Now the furnishings are NOT earthquake ready. Well, except our big TV, that sucka ain't going no where.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Most of the earthquakes, if they can be felt at all, just shake so little it feels like someone bumped the furniture. I don't know anybody who has an earthquake proof house, but I have been in a 13 story building in Anchorage built on rollers so that it can withstand an earthquake. It is quite an experience to be in a minor quake in that building.
We have had some in fairbanks and vicinity that have shaken homes for a for seconds if not minutes. The last one i remember happened around ten years ago in the middle of the day.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
I lived in Tornado Alley for 13 years and was surprised by how few storm cellars there were.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
The tectonic plate from the Pacific Ocean floor that is moving northward and colldes with that of Alaska slides under the Alaskan land mass south of the coast, under water. It goes progressively deeper until it is pushing virtually into the earth's magma. The farthest north it reaches is the south side of the Brooks Range.

Hence near Barrow there are no major faults and earthquake bracing in buildings is not required.

In Fairbanks the effects of major quakes are vastly different that farther south. Quakes in the range of 6 or 7 do happen, but anyone even 30 miles distant doesn't feel much. The tectonic plate is thousands of feet below the surface, and in between is solid rock. A quake is like having a pile of children's wood blocks and moving one of them far enough to let another fall to a new position. It goes clunk, and that's it. A big one that moves more blocks just goes clunk-clunk.

In Anchorage even relatively small earthquakes (3 to 5) cause a lot of movement, and a big one at 6 or larger can go on and on and on. The reason is because that tectonic plate is just below the surface hundreds or a couple thousand feet, and between the surface and the moving plate is gravel or crushed rock mixed with mud. It's been likened to making a big bowl of jello and setting it on a couple of dinner plates and then moving one of the plates. The jello starts quivering when the plate moves, and doesn't stop for a relatively long time. (I recall reading a description once where the 1964 quake caused one family to run in and out of their cabin 2-3 times over several minutes as it seemed safer here or there, while the cabin disintegrated and their yard had huge gapping fissures forming.)

And Anchorage quakes aren't much compared to Adak Island! Out there they have to tie everything together, and then tie it down. Otherwise it would crumble to pieces in a quake tomorrow morning and lterally blow away in the wind that afternoon.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
I must have been sitting right on top of the last one we had a couple of months ago. This is just a rental. I wouldn't choose sheetrock personally. While it was only reported as a 4.something, it FELT like the cabin had been knocked off its foundation. It was accompanied by a loud boom/bang. A few days later, these started showing up so I guess it was as bad as it felt.

This one goes from the window edge all the way to the corner.

You can read about it on my blog, I think the second post down.
Alaska, The Madness

Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I must have been sitting right on top of the last one we had a couple of months ago. This is just a rental. I wouldn't choose sheetrock personally. While it was only reported as a 4.something, it FELT like the cabin had been knocked off its foundation. It was accompanied by a loud boom/bang. A few days later, these started showing up so I guess it was as bad as it felt.
Given that kind of damage, and only a 4, you probably were relatively close to the epicenter. The "loud boom/bang", also often described as a "big thunk" is pretty much the characteristic of earthquates in the Interior. It's movement of a lot of solid rock, and it just goes from here to there (with a little, but not much, reverberation). Down in Anchorage an earthquate more than 50 miles away at that strength can cause reverberations for several seconds before it subsides.

Edit: I took a look at your blog (which I've enjoyed previously), and tried to figure out where you live (miles north of the airport was all I could figure out, but that's close enough) and figure out when that earthquake happened.

Heres a description of a quake on Wednesday October 13th that is almost certainly the one you referenced.

"The 3.42 magnitude quake was centered 7 miles east of Fox and struck at 12:10 a.m. It was at a depth of 2 miles. Many Goldstream Valley residents reported feeling it, but no damage has been reported."

So it is likely you were easily within 20 miles, and maybe more like 10 miles from the epicenter. Note that it was 2 miles deep, in solid rock, so there isn't much difference between being directly above it and being 10 miles distant.

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 12-20-2010 at 03:17 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Sheet rock earthquake cracks are easy to fix! Get you a tube of toothpaste and fill in the cracks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska