U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,438,202 times

Advertisements

You must work in the cruise industry. They are expensive, and in my opinion NOT the best way to see Alaska. Instead, drive to Bellingham, WA, or Prince Rupert, BC and board the Alaska Ferry system and save thousands! Sure, no steak & shrimp dinners, but unless you really need that....

Car rentals and hotels still will be cheaper, plus you are on YOUR schedule! Sorry, I just don't think cruises are worth it, unless you are have a lot money to throw away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Well--I don't think he works in the cruise industry. And you can get some really inexpensive cruises these days--for much less than taking a car on the marine highway if you book them right.

I just found a seven day cruise for $669 online. It's around $391 just from Rupert to Sitka with a small car, and that's one way and without a cabin and of course on the ferry you pay for your meals.

What's happening with the cruise industry....is that there is a bit more supply these days than demand. You can also save money by booking any tours you might want to go on directly with the tour companies themselves rather than booking them on the ship.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-14-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,232,700 times
No, I don't work for the cruise industry. In any shape, form, or fashion.
I was simply suggesting that if they were on a "recon", take a cruise and let them do the driving.
And Met is correct, the AMHS is not a bargain. It's a simple transportation system, with zero competition.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,232,700 times
BTW, 1 person, 1 car, is 800.00 on the AMHS from Bellingham to Juneau. Then another 800.00 to Whittier. And that's one way.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Due to budget cuts the marine highway will be canceling the passenger/cargo ferry to Bellingham at the end of this year, we were hoping to send our guns south on the ferry next year then was informed there won't be one.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,914,362 times
A cruise really limits your viewing of Alaska, Southeast Alaska is beautiful indeed but it's not the real Alaska IMO, there is so much more to Alaska than the southeast islands.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,027,483 times
A cruise can get you scenery, wildlife (marine and land, depending on the cruise and excursions), history, mountains, glaciers, and several interesting and picturesque towns. Southeast is a unique part of Alaska--an image known to many Outsiders. Considering the high cost of planes, hotels, and rental cars, I think a cruise is a very viable option.

A road trip is much more limited. Drive times are long, with little to do between major spots. Furthermore, unless one is doing the Anchorage-Glenn Allen-Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage loop, any road trip requires retracing one's steps. The towns encountered on a road trip aren't nearly as interesting as the ones on a cruise, mainly because the average traveller doesn't have a tour guide giving all the interesting tidbits of information. This is the reality for a tourist as opposed to a local. Also, a road trip isn't going to provide the history unless the tourist makes an effort. Road trips take more planning and effort than a cruise.

Realistically, cruise or road, a tourist is going to have limited options unless he has unlimited time and/or resources. Since Trinity wants fishing, the most obvious places--and probably the most scenic outside of a cruise--would be the Kenai Peninsula, Seward, or Valdez. The destination would depend upon what kind of fishing is desired. I think there are also fishing excursions available on a cruise, but that would be something to verify before booking.

As someone who has taken an Alaskan cruise, ridden the Ferry, lived on both the road system and in the Bush, and also played tourist on the road system, I've got to admit a cruise is my favorite option! Plus, the food can't be beat! Unless the locals stay in motels and rent cars when they travel about the state, they probably don't know how expensive it can be and how limited some options are.

Caveat: The cruise I took was on a very small ship (only 150 passengers), so it was much more personal than the large cruise lines. Furthermore, my ship was able to get further in Glacier Bay and closer to the shore because of its small size.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 AM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Where did you hear about the ferry closing the Bellingham route? I looked but couldn't find any information on that at all.

I suppose the "real Alaska" thing is a subjective matter--SE feels more real to me than Anchorage. It's all worth seeing though.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,927,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You can also save money by booking any tours you might want to go on directly with the tour companies themselves rather than booking them on the ship.
Very true... tours, activities booked through the ship are overpriced.http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/homework.gif (broken link) and save!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
A cruise really limits your viewing of Alaska, Southeast Alaska is beautiful indeed but it's not the real Alaska IMO, there is so much more to Alaska than the southeast islands.
That depends on the cruise, quite a few cruises include glacier stops and go as far a Seward, there are many variations...one way, round trip, 2 or 3 port of calls, etc. If you can't get there by car then a cruise is the only way to see and experience the area.

Good post Blueberry! In my experience a road trip required tremendous planning but it was fun doing it. With the aid of the Milepost book, my trip was full things to see and do along the way, quit a learning experience as well.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 PM

25 posts, read 66,964 times
I believe evry place in alaska is beautiful. I stayed in the small town of skagway for 7 months and didn't see all it had to offer. I love the small town life but I lived and worked it. There are many nice hikes in skagway, train rides,eagles, the secluded town of dyea,chilkoot trail, sled dog demonstrations,planerides to glaciers, fast ferriers to glacier bay, a very scenic drive to B.C. I'm partial to it because its all I know of alaska but it has ocean mountains and snow visible all year long. Ask about smugglers cove it's very nice for barbqs. Good luck on your trip planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or