Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
i disagree. Lisa showed that an incumbent defeated in the primary can mount a challenge on a write in and win. the courts have also set (again) that voter intent is a hallmark of supporting the electoral process. a good learning experience and a good fight IMO.
And we might want to allow for a couple of obvious observations too. One is that the write-in came as a bit of a surprise, and definitely required an incumbent that crossed party lines in terms of popularity with voters, and equally clearly required a reputation for effectiveness in office. Not to mention two competitors that had no name recognition and nothing at all going for them.

The second item, the court rulings, however. comes as no surprise at all to anyone with half a brain. Clearly one of the reasons Miller did not do well in the general election is that he hasn't got so much as half a brain, which is the only reason for the court case to have come about at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
And we might want to allow for a couple of obvious observations too. One is that the write-in came as a bit of a surprise, and definitely required an incumbent that crossed party lines in terms of popularity with voters, and equally clearly required a reputation for effectiveness in office. Not to mention two competitors that had no name recognition and nothing at all going for them.

The second item, the court rulings, however. comes as no surprise at all to anyone with half a brain. Clearly one of the reasons Miller did not do well in the general election is that he hasn't got so much as half a brain, which is the only reason for the court case to have come about at all.
which of course begs the question why did she lose in the primary?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
which of course begs the question why did she lose in the primary?
One bit of bad luck (Ted Stevens passed away, and made it seem inappropriate to run the advertisements he had recorded for her, which had been intended to be the whole basis for her final push in the last few days before the primary), and a good bit of complacency, both the part of the Murkowski campaign and also by her supporters.

That complacency is probably something she'll never forget too! On thing I have always noticed about Don Young and Ted Stevens is that even when opposed by a candidate with absolutely no chance, they' run a campaign as if there was a chance. Maybe not full blast, but neither of them ever assumed they've got it in the bag. I expect Lisa Murkowski is forever more going to run campaigns in the same way her write-in campaign was run.

As for voters, well it was a mistake that I made too. My day just never made it easy to go vote, and I didn't make an effort. So I was embarrassed when it became clear that Joe Miller had actually won. I hadn't believed that many people could miss what a ding-a-ling he is. I was dead wrong on that.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Yup. a combination of things for sure. I don't care for her politics but she is a far better choice than "nowhere man"....

I'm going to go driving in drift snow when Joe's dirt bag run is over........and out.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:42 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,179 times
Quote:
I hadn't believed that many people could miss what a ding-a-ling he is.
That clearly shows the average IQ of Alaska republicans....

Old 12-25-2010, 07:04 PM

99 posts, read 220,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

That clearly shows the average IQ of Alaska republicans....

Way to belittle the intelligence of a large majority of the state's population.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Miller's spokesman, Randy Desoto, reminds me of Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf.....Saddam Hussein's Minister of Information. Anybody remember him?
All your bases belong to us?

Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 PM

191 posts, read 360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Joe is taken care of.

There's still one very large and painfully obvious problem that needs to be dealt with before Alaska can get back to some sense of normalcy.

The Clampett family in Wasilla.

Good luck with that one.
Ya know, we might be getting there. Bristol apparently bought a house in Arizona, and Van Flein is going to be down there for a while as well. I'm afraid to say it, because it DOES sound too good to be true, but is it possible, we're actually driving the Valley Trash Palin family out of the state?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
Ya know, we might be getting there. Bristol apparently bought a house in Arizona, and Van Flein is going to be down there for a while as well. I'm afraid to say it, because it DOES sound too good to be true, but is it possible, we're actually driving the Valley Trash Palin family out of the state?
It's a start and we can all hope!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acg515 View Post
Way to belittle the intelligence of a large majority of the state's population.
Is it what it is......simple as that

As least the majority are nested around Los Anchorage and near there so they don't bother us too much in SE....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska