Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

32 posts, read 148,922 times

Advertisements

I'm considering jobs in Juneau but first I have a few questions about day to day life in the area. These questions might seem kind of trivial or random, though, having moved around the lower 48 as much as I have I have come to realize that some of the "smaller" considerations actually figure quite large in everyday life.

For example, how are the food stores in Juneau? Specifically, how is the produce and the meat? Fresh? Large selection?

Secondly, I know that there is a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and a Blockbuster video. Are there any other nationally or regionally known stores in Juneau?

I like to jog but I'm concerned about the snow and ice. Is there generally snow on the ground throughout the entire winter? Does it melt in between storms at all? Lastly, are there any hiking trails in the mountains that remain pretty clear of snow because of the trees and the coverage they provide?

One final question... I've read that there are at least two Mexican restaurants in Juneau. Are there any other ethnic restaurants?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 PM

222 posts, read 388,858 times
Costco, Fred Meyers, and Safeway are here too, along with a couple of independent markets. . As are Subway, McDonalds, several Chinese, Italian, Russian, and Thai. I haven't been here long enough to answer the other part of your question.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,707,317 times
I know she won't mind me sharing the link to her blog....this lady lives in Juneau...I'm sure she'll pop in here and answer your questions at some point

Living The Juneau Adventure

Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,525,404 times
Grocery food selection is as good as most places south. You might find some specialty/foreign food items hard to find, except for asian. Occasionally, weather may limit some fresh food selections, but usually no longer than a week. There is one natural foods store in town, but many have an organic selection.

National chains already mentioned. You'll also learn to use the internet for what you can't find. Amazon will become your friend and ask around for others that offer reasonable shipping to Alaska. It's not uncommon for shipping to cost more than the item you're buying, but if you look long enough, you'll find places that know how to ship other than 2nd day air. For large items, shipping can be arranged via barge lines.

People jog year round here. We used to have a cycle of snow and then melting, but lately, it seems to say around for a long while. Ice can be a problem, but ice grippers solves that. Most of the popular trails have enough traffic that any snow build up gets packed down. Snow shoes are an option too.

There are at least 4 Mexican, 7 Chinese, 2 Italian and 2 Thai restaurants in town. There are also 6 pizza places plus Domino's and Papa Murphy's. At least 4 places serve fresh sushi and two of the Chinese have a selection of Japanese and other asian foods. I'm sure I've missed some since it was from memory.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM

6,255 posts, read 5,059,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOLLO View Post
Lastly, are there any hiking trails in the mountains that remain pretty clear of snow because of the trees and the coverage they provide?
There are hundreds of trails in Juneau. As somone said, the popular ones have enough foot/cross country ski/snow shoe traffic in winter to keep them accessible. They are all great trails.

Re: trails into the mountains, some are closed in winter (or use at your own risk) because of avalanche risk. Most others are covered in snow all winter and not accessible unless you have ice climbing equipment and experience. There are some you can climb without a lot of experience and equipment (eg. Mt Jumbo depending on snow levels) depending on your outdoor experience and fitness level.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Many thanks to the four of you for responding to my post. I'm excited about this job prospect and I look forward to my visit to Juneau later next month.

One last question, does Juneau stay pretty green looking all year round? I keep reading about how Juneau is rainforest-like but I can't imagine with all that snow it stays looking green and fairly alive. Any thoughts? Anyone have any photos to share?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 PM

291 posts, read 799,617 times
Read Juneaubound's blog. She's got lots of pics, and no Juneau is not green year round. Living The Juneau Adventure: On The Way Home

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. RowdysMom, thanks for the link to juneaubounds' blog, and to juneaubound, I found your postings very informative and the pictures you take look amazing!

After talking with some family over the holidays about this possible move I've come up with a few more questions. Any info would be appreciated!

First, at least initially I'd be interested in living in downtown Juneau. What is the driving and walking situation like downtown with all the hills after a snow or ice storm? Is the city pretty good about clearing the roads fairly quickly?

Secondly, how comprehensive is the bus system? I've looked at the route map online but because I don't really know the area I can't gauge the distance or convenience of stops, especially in the downtown area. Also, do the buses run pretty regularly in the snow?

Lastly, and I know this is hard to answer but, what is the vibe of the city like? I mean, as far as sophistication and education of the residents? Would you describe Juneau as more socially liberal than not? Is it a very religious city? Is the resident population more local/regional or from the lower 48? I'm not trying to express an opinion one way or another about whether or not these characteristics fit me best, instead, I'm interested in knowing how others would describe Juneau based upon these questions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,525,404 times
Roads are well plowed, but occasionally the buses will run on a snow route until they catch up with plowing (happens only when it's still snowing during the morning). This means the buses avoid hills. Walking is not a problem as long as you get some ice grippers for your shoes. I've worn mine once this winter and I could have gotten by without them. For the most part, you can walk to anywhere downtown, with the grocery store being furthest from the downtown center. You can get to the valley and other shopping on the bus system. Figure the valley area (Fred Meyer, Nugget Mall, Safeway), is about 8-9 miles from downtown. If your plans are to live downtown, you can get by without a car, unless you work in the valley or Douglas. It will limit some of your recreational activities though.

Juneau is probably one of the more liberal areas in Alaska. I think the population is highly educated and there is a sizable gay community. There are many churches here, but I think the majority of the population doesn't attend. While there is a transient sector of the population, most have lived here for a long time. Many are Coast Guard who served here and return or have their last station here before retirement. Probably the majority of the population came from outside Juneau, be it lower 48 or other areas of Alaska.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,797,144 times
If you're interested in living "downtown", you'll probably do most of your shopping at Foodland (A&P), it's 1/4 mile away, sidewalks all the way. It's just your typical grocery store.

When you're looking avoid any rental address that has Franklin Street in it like the plaque.

If you're gonna arrive and then look for a downtown apt, your best bet would be to get an extended stay at the Driftwood, it's just a couple of hundred yards from from the state office building. Foodland is pretty much next door.

Juneau has a pretty decent bus system. It's not overpriced, runs like a freight train, and can get you from downtown to the valley with stops in between. Tokens can be bought downtown at a discount rate.

They are really good at keeping the main roads plowed during winter, but the valley and Douglas Island do suffer at times. Now the sidewalks are a different arguement tho......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska