Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times

Advertisements

Go baby!

Murkowski goes rogue - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Nothing new. Lisa is not necessarily "going rogue," but showing her true colors, and one of the reasons why she lost the primaries in Alaska.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Finding myself on what seems to be the same side as ole stiff and against the lack of brains (or trees) in iceland, and ole wrong Ray seems unusual but so be it. I actually see Lisa as doing the right thing by voting for Alaskans and Americans and maybe even the World view now that she had the pants scared off her by the likes of joe the much lesser. Each of the things you seem to find fault with even benefit all of us (including possibly your self) and make our Great Country a little closer to what we should have been all along. One thing is for sure if she now votes for things as a Senator instead of a Republican we all gain a Senator instead of a wet blanket. I know ole stiffe occasionally post's intelligent posts, which is more than ice locked has ever done, not to leave out ole wrong sided Ray who always is the last rat to leave a sinking ship, but in light of the fact we escaped a less than honorable death by electing lil joe the lesser we can now write both our US Senators with our feelings and hopefully they'll both respond by voting for us as a State instead of the Leadership of their individual parties. Let's thank our North Star for allowing a close call and lets learn to call it a learning experience.

Last edited by richelles; 12-23-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Finding myself on what seems to be the same side as ole stiff and against the lack of brains (or trees) in iceland, and ole wrong Ray seems unusual but so be it. I actually see Lisa as doing the right thing by voting for Alaskans and Americans and maybe even the World view now that she had the pants scared off her by the likes of joe the much lesser. Each of the things you seem to find fault with even benefit all of us (including possibly your self) and make our Great Country a little closer to what we should have been all along. One thing is for sure if she now votes for things as a Senator instead of a Republican we all gain a Senator instead of a wet blanket. I know ole stiffe occasionally post's intelligent posts, which is more than ice locked has ever done, not to leave out ole wrong sided Ray who always is the last rat to leave a sinking ship, but in light of the fact we escaped a less than honorable death by electing lil joe the lesser we can now write both our US Senators with our feelings and hopefully they'll both respond by voting for us as a State instead of the Leadership of their individual parties. Let's thank our North Star for allowing a close call and lets learn to call it a learning experience.
We all have opinions, but it does not mean that one's opinions are the right nor the wrong ones when compared to someone else's, for every person can only have points of views as seen through his or her own eyes.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Nothing new. Lisa is not necessarily "going rogue," but showing her true colors, and one of the reasons why she lost the primaries in Alaska.
And the reason she was re-elected to the senate in a write-in vote, which is a simply astounding feat!

Her "true colors" are that she is an extremely effective US Senator.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Alaskan people have the right to discuss any subject pertaining to Alaska. I do believe our Senator qualifies.

I didn't vote for Lisa Murkowski, however I do think she has been and will continue to be a good representative for the people of Alaska. I agree with Richelle, it is refreshing to see someone putting the people (all of the people) of Alaska ahead of political party platforms.

Of course, I have always admired independent, tough minded people.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
And the reason she was re-elected to the senate in a write-in vote, which is a simply astounding feat!

Her "true colors" are that she is an extremely effective US Senator.
She was elected because of what a real piece of work Miller turned out to be...after the primary...a non-POS conservative candidate would likely have defeated her...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Yes, exactly the reason I voted for her. Now she can exercize some independent, critical thinking instead of being a lockstep automaton beholden to the likes of Mitch-Mac-Turkey-Neck and Jim DeNut. I generally agree with all four of her so-called "rogue" votes, with a few exceptions:

DADT - As I've said before, I don't have a dog in that fight either way so it should be left up to the Military leadership to decide for themselves. However, the Comandants of two branches were opposed to repeal so I respect their opinions. I understand the final bill allows each branch to enact the repeal in the manner and timing of their choosing, so in the end it sounds OK.

Tax Bill - While overall bill also contains a bunch of unecessary spending, in the end it preserves the Tax Cuts for ALL citizens so I'm happy. And it will be taken up again in two years when a much more conservative Congress can hopefully make the cuts permanent.

START - Hard to say on this one. The conservative talk shows claim this is Unilateral Disarmament on the part of the US, while Joe Bite-Me and John (Herman Munster) Kerry claim its the next best thing to the second coming. In the end, I accept Lisa's explanation and assurances. She's there and I'm not, so I trust her judgement (that is after all why I voted for her).

Dream Act - This is the only one I disagree with her on. She should have voted on the side to kill it. But in the end the Bill died anyway, so her vote didn't really matter. It could be she knew this and was just voting to pi$$ DeMint off even more!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 12-23-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
She was elected because of what a real piece of work Miller turned out to be...after the primary...a non-POS conservative candidate would likely have defeated her...
That could well be true. I just hope the Alaska Republican Party doesn't make the same mistake next time in the race against Big-Itch. In fact, if Miller were to somehow be the candidate again in four years, I would have to vote for Begich. Not that there is any difference between the two - both have now demostrated that they are of equally low moral character (that's really saying something about Joe BTW). But by that time, Marky-Mark will have 6 years of seniority while crazy Joe will still have zipo, so Begich would still look better.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But the fact is that the POS conservatives did select Miller, and lost. I don't see much different likely to happen the next time, except it will be a POS with a different name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: