U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM

15,558 posts, read 14,652,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
My husband and I have a four year old and a newborn, and we are looking to relocate to Alaska, and are needing help with the moving costs. He is interested in fishing jobs and or logging jobs with high end pay, that will cover the cost of re-locating from Texas to Alaska. We are wanting to live in a remote area away from the hustle and bustle of city life but would also enjoy the convience of being close to town. We are wondering the best way to go about relocating to Alaska. Should my husband go first, and me and the kids second? And what all jobs are available with only a high school education? Any phone numbers or contact info would be greatly appreciated, as well as rental information for three to four bedroom homes, not apartments or condos. Thank you for all of your help, and God Bless!!!
To answer some of your other questions...living remote yet close to town is sort of difficult to do outside of a couple of different areas, neither which have work in either industry you've mentioned.

Most logging jobs in Alaska involve liviing in a logging camp, and often it's just the guys living out there. In the past they would often have accomodations for families but not so much anymore.

I think you might have an unrealistic idea of Alaska. Of course it's probably possible to move and find work, but unless you've got some very specialized skills, you're going to have to pay your dues like everyone else when it comes to obtaining "high end" jobs.

If your husband has experience in the logging industry, I'd be glad to let you know of a pretty good company to apply with, but only via DM. If not, then the two of you should take stock of your job skills and do some research of the various parts of the state you might be interested in living.

Forget fishing. Established boats still make money but the waiting list for crew members is long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 03:25 PM

355 posts, read 419,297 times
When you find one let me know and my family will load up and go with ya!

Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 PM

4,043 posts, read 4,807,689 times
The companies only pay relocation if the job is a specialized one with years of experience, and they can't recruit someone from within the state to fill it. Nursing is another field that can get paid relocation.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:48 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,362,018 times
First....free land, free money, gold laying everywhere to pick up, pack up the family put 'em on a bicycle, that some company paid for, get trip paid for by donations, an now employers that will pay you to move up to Alaska.....wow...these people watch way too much tv and live in fantasy land

Old 12-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Probably they don't realize just how many people have the Alaska dream. It's in high demand, so no one will offer any incentives to come up here anymore. In the beginning, when Alaska was an unknown cold place, you could probably do that easily.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,362,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Probably they don't realize just how many people have the Alaska dream. It's in high demand, so no one will offer any incentives to come up here anymore. In the beginning, when Alaska was an unknown cold place, you could probably do that easily.
yes people still seem to think of it as the "last frontier" and are about 30 yrs to late! I also don't think without actually visiting Alaska...they have no clue of just how under developed it is compared to the -48's....long distance between towns..highways between are a 2 lane country road and that is a highway in Alaska!!!...one accident can tie up the travel on that road for hours and hours as there is no road to just get off and go around!!! dreaming is one thing.....one needs to make sure that dream has a lot of reality of the state, lots of research, planning, etc....today's news a fellow is missing in Fairbanks an thought to be headed to Anchorage to look for work!
State police continue search for Fairbanks man: AP Alaska | adn.com (http://www.adn.com/2010/12/24/1618904/state-police-continue-search-for.html - broken link)

Old 12-24-2010, 08:08 PM

I read about him in the News Miner, they've got a picture too. His wife was commenting on the article, she is so worried about him. Not sure why she left him in Fairbanks but that is not relevant.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Missing man might be camping in igloo near Fairbanks

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,016,098 times
So, he would rather vanish during winter, and camp in an igloo somewhere, than be home with his wife.

I think there is a story here that is real interesting..........

Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 PM

11,760 posts, read 17,315,872 times
There's a guy in Palmer that has a list for sale of all the oil & natural gas companies & supporting companies & all the industries that they support. Its very comprehensive & right now very useless. Jobs are scarce everywhere & unless you're living in Alaska you really don't have much of a chance of getting on anyone's radar. Potential employers aren't going to take you seriously. Like others have said unless you're degreed & have unique talents that they are looking for they won't pay for your move.

You've got a better chance drawing unemployment where you are & staying put.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:26 AM

3,311 posts, read 1,488,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
The large oil companies will pay for relocation expenses. However, those are mainly for salaried professional and/or managerial positions. Most people are astounded when I tell them how much they paid to move me up here (as am I to tell the truth)! They generally don't pay relocation for field or technical jobs.

Unless you are hiring on as part of the executive team of a large fishing or logging company, I doubt you'll see a relocation package in either of those two industries.
Moose is correct.. Unless you are in the Executive arena or Health Care and the Health Care depends on certain disciplines your not going to find help with relocation assistance.

I don't want to discourage you but before you decide to move here make sure you search these forums and ask a lot of questions. Moving to Alaska is not like moving to another state in that you can't drive home if you can't make it or don't like living here. It is not cheap to live here. It takes money to get here and just as much money to get back out.

Think of moving to Alaska as moving to another country and plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska