U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 AM

674 posts, read 1,396,942 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering does the Alaskan accent differ according to what part of the state you're from? Also, since Alaska just about sits on top of Canada, do some Alaskans have a Canadian accent or at least influenced in some way by that accent?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 AM

22,368 posts, read 29,465,929 times
Um, yes, there are about nine different accents specific to Alaska. Down on the panhandle its very much influenced by Canada--you find that less as you go farther north. If you close your eyes in Fred Meyer in Wasilla you will think you are in the deep south. In Fairbanks you have to be very careful while listening to people because the Fairbanks accent is very pronounced and its easy to misunderstand. Warpt can tell you all about the accent over in Western Alaska.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,141,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Um, yes, there are about nine different accents specific to Alaska. Down on the panhandle its very much influenced by Canada--you find that less as you go farther north. If you close your eyes in Fred Meyer in Wasilla you will think you are in the deep south. In Fairbanks you have to be very careful while listening to people because the Fairbanks accent is very pronounced and its easy to misunderstand. Warpt can tell you all about the accent over in Western Alaska.
Not hardly........do you ever get tired of bashing Wasilla,,not Wasilla's fault what happened to you.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:14 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I was making a funny. Happy Christmas idjit.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,775,475 times
Quote:
In Wasilla, you are in the deep south!

As far as Western Alaska, today if I hear about two words spoken by someone from the Kuskokwim I know that's where the are from. The same goes for the North Slope, and I'm not sure if I can distinguish someone from the Interior or from North Western Alaska or not.

But when I lived on the Kuskokwim it was also true that if someone uttered more than about 20 words I could tell which village they were from (with exceptions like Upper and Lower Kalskag, Aniak and Chuathbaluk, or Kwigillingok and Kongiganak. Those places are all the same people.

On the other hand, I know people who can tell which side of Kwigillingok a person grew up in from their accent! And they can separate different Yup'ik villages not just by accent but by word meanings too.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,141,648 times
Quote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I was making a funny. Happy Christmas idjit.
Sure... Merry Christmas yourself Idjit.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 12-25-2010, 10:18 AM

674 posts, read 1,396,942 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 AM

145 posts, read 516,372 times
Quote:
Welp, yeah, right on Met. Don't ya know that we all live within 50 feet of Wal-mart in our camper-trailers, and eschew all that is good and of nature? Yeppers, you betcha. Gotta go spit out my chew now, get my breakfast of Monster and Corn sugar bits, and roll of to the mud wrestling Christmas extravaganza. Meh.

If you can hear this from your throne, hope you have a great Christmas.

We here in Wasilla will do the same.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post
Welp, yeah, right on Met. Don't ya know that we all live within 50 feet of Wal-mart in our camper-trailers, and eschew all that is good and of nature? Yeppers, you betcha. Gotta go spit out my chew now, get my breakfast of Monster and Corn sugar bits, and roll of to the mud wrestling Christmas extravaganza. Meh.

If you can hear this from your throne, hope you have a great Christmas.

We here in Wasilla will do the same.
Happy Christmas to you too Is there any Nascar on today? What on earth are Monster and Corn sugar bits? Is that anything like grits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska