Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM

191 posts, read 360,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I don't personally know the right folks to deal with the license requirements... but I do know several people that can provide all kinds of specifics and other helpful information. When you get here... stop by Sam & Lee's some afternoon and tell Mrs. Kim you're looking for me. I'll make sure you meet the folks that know about that stuff.

You probably already know this, but Barrow's 3rd largest ethnic group is Filipino. You'll find a lot of folks here that have walked the same path you are, and they will all be happy to help.
ok, now I'm convinced Barrow really IS the center of the universe!

Floyd, has Jan Flora found you yet? I'm friends with her on fb and she'd love to chat with you. I told her about this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
ok, now I'm convinced Barrow really IS the center of the universe!
Nahhh, but we are the Top Of The World!
Quote:
Floyd, has Jan Flora found you yet? I'm friends with her on fb and she'd love to chat with you. I told her about this forum.
Tell her to get over here. Cause I'm never going to do much on FB. I've got a login, and talk to or read about some family there; but FB gives me the creeps for starters, and it just isn't easy to do either.

Hey, you guys may not have noticed, but alt.culture.alaska would probably be useful again. The political crossposting by the insane has finally slowed down to something that would be tolerable, and I don't think Newton is still adding to it. It gets maybe 10 or so post a day now. Of course there are absolutely zero articles posted just to a.c.a as such, as everyone is long since gone.

It would be nice to get that whole crowd to show up here. I haven't heard from Dennis H. for years, and it's been a long time for Jan too. Would be fun...

Old 12-31-2010, 12:51 AM

191 posts, read 360,667 times
Quote:
Nahhh, but we are the Top Of The World!

Tell her to get over here. Cause I'm never going to do much on FB. I've got a login, and talk to or read about some family there; but FB gives me the creeps for starters, and it just isn't easy to do either.

Hey, you guys may not have noticed, but alt.culture.alaska would probably be useful again. The political crossposting by the insane has finally slowed down to something that would be tolerable, and I don't think Newton is still adding to it. It gets maybe 10 or so post a day now. Of course there are absolutely zero articles posted just to a.c.a as such, as everyone is long since gone.

It would be nice to get that whole crowd to show up here. I haven't heard from Dennis H. for years, and it's been a long time for Jan too. Would be fun...
Yeah ..I'll bug her about it again. Her and Metlakatla really need to know each other. I "introduced" them to each other on fb .but don't know if they ever actually chatted.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM

49 posts, read 105,026 times
by the way.. how was the internet there in barrow? ^^, bcoz internet is the most important thing to me lol!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoo View Post
by the way.. how was the internet there in barrow? ^^, bcoz internet is the most important thing to me lol!
You'll get used to it... :-)

We have DSL provided by ASTAC, the phone company. And we have cable modem broadband from GCI which can be bundled with cable TV and long distance service too. GCI is much less congested and has fewer problems. I can't remember for sure right now, but I think GCI's premium residential service is 512 KBPS. They do have faster commercial services, but at significantly higher costs.

The big thing that you'll need to get used to is the latency caused by access via satellite. (True for long distance and cell phone services too.) The minimum ping time to anywhere is roughly 500ms. You won't want to play online games! You can stream audio though; but live video doesn't work well. Downloading any significant amount of video would also run over the limits and the cost would be excessive.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You'll get used to it... :-)

We have DSL provided by ASTAC, the phone company. And we have cable modem broadband from GCI which can be bundled with cable TV and long distance service too. GCI is much less congested and has fewer problems. I can't remember for sure right now, but I think GCI's premium residential service is 512 KBPS. They do have faster commercial services, but at significantly higher costs.

The big thing that you'll need to get used to is the latency caused by access via satellite. (True for long distance and cell phone services too.) The minimum ping time to anywhere is roughly 500ms. You won't want to play online games! You can stream audio though; but live video doesn't work well. Downloading any significant amount of video would also run over the limits and the cost would be excessive.
it doesn't matter as long as there is internet
and one more thing im concern about sir is the price of clothing? and shoes coz im sure my rubber shoes wont stand the cold there so i need boots. do u think i should buy here in california or its better to buy there in AK? thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
it doesn't matter as long as there is internet
and one more thing im concern about sir is the price of clothing? and shoes coz im sure my rubber shoes wont stand the cold there so i need boots. do u think i should buy here in california or its better to buy there in AK? thanks!
For most cold weather clothing it is best to wait until you get here. That way you can see what everyone else is wearing, and buy the right things. It's cheaper out there, if you can find the right stuff; but knowing what is good and what isn't can be difficult for someone who has never been here.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
For most cold weather clothing it is best to wait until you get here. That way you can see what everyone else is wearing, and buy the right things. It's cheaper out there, if you can find the right stuff; but knowing what is good and what isn't can be difficult for someone who has never been here.
yah your right.. i guess ill wear my normal dress here 1st in california then buy some over there.. hey floyd when i got there you can be my drinking buddy? haha! im 22 so im legal enough! haha!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
yah your right.. i guess ill wear my normal dress here 1st in california then buy some over there.. hey floyd when i got there you can be my drinking buddy? haha! im 22 so im legal enough! haha!
I drink Diet Pepsi! And coffee too.

I have kids twice as old as you! :-) And I am now a great grandfather too. So that is really a strange feeling. I can remember when my oldest son turned 10 years old, marveling at the idea that I was the father of a 10 year year old! Now I'm the father of a grandfather!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I drink Diet Pepsi! And coffee too.

I have kids twice as old as you! :-) And I am now a great grandfather too. So that is really a strange feeling. I can remember when my oldest son turned 10 years old, marveling at the idea that I was the father of a 10 year year old! Now I'm the father of a grandfather!
Really? that was cool! anyway, i can be your drinking coffee buddy! haha! when i got there ill make sure to drop by your store okay maybe u know my uncle Ernesto Domingo? or maybe not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska