U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,604,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
We all know who is behind the "sity data" name, he has been banned a couple other times and I'm thinking he should be banned again.
I second the motion to ban him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,777,231 times
Floyd what is in the glassed in case on the right wall?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,297,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Another thread ruined by the trolls, I see.

Floyd must be quite a guy to inspire such deep feelings of insecurity in Stiffbrain and David.
Lets not read too much into it! I'm just a normal guy for the place where I live. Lots of fellows here have similar traits.

The insecurity of Stiffy and Eves however is legendary. And these days it is fairly clear that virtually noone with half a brain is being misled by either of them. Starlite9 and AQHA might show up though, and they'd believe it!

It keeps the rest of us here in Barrow just rolling with laughter though.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Lets not read too much into it! I'm just a normal guy for the place where I live. Lots of fellows here have similar traits.

The insecurity of Stiffy and Eves however is legendary. And these days it is fairly clear that virtually noone with half a brain is being misled by either of them. Starlite9 and AQHA might show up though, and they'd believe it!

what speak volumes Floyd is that you still LIVE in Barrow and these losers don't!!! one claims he walked away from thousands in tools etc...really...clear case of mental instability as who in their right mind does this...rants of building hotels and homeless buildings and leaves hahahaha delusional rants....and is proved a lie'r as he admits he owes people money on his blog but claimed on this forum he doesn't owe anyone in Barrow....an claims he is "native"...hahahaha look at his self portrait...damnedest white, round eyed looking native I've ever seen

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,297,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Floyd what is in the glassed in case on the right wall?
Stuff the Post Office sells. I have't looked real careful in recent months, but if memory serves the wall at the center back of the pictures has pictures, stationary items and the like, while the one on the right wall has boxes, wrapping, bubble wrap, and similar odds and ends. It might have changed though, and I wouldn't likely have noticed.

Incidentally, that hits on something that I've sort of enjoyed watching over the years as the USPS has become much more "commercial" and much less of the "government service" that were its roots. It has been a slow process, but appears to have been done right too.

This might be a good place also to mention something that Dradiin hit pretty squarely on, but doesn't have the requisite history to explain. He indeed identified the Post Mistress, and I suspect his description is not far off. I do suspect that would, from the description, have been a pretty bad day for her!

The history is that we go through Post Master's at a very high rate. Trying to match the reality of a bush Post Office with what the executive management wants is not an easy job. My impression of this lady, who has been here something like a year or maybe a bit longer now, is that she is doing better than most. She does display exactly the traits described by Dradiin on her first encounter with a problem; the good side though is that she seems to learn from each such encounter, and doesn't make the same mistakes over and over. At this point she has learned a lot, apparently really likes Barrow, and hopefully will stay long enough to become very much in tune with it.

Dradiin also mentioned that lady on the right. She's a sweety. She's somebody's Aunty too! :-) And I can never remember the guy's name who is at the counter on the left. That is embarrassing as I see him all around town and know who at least some of his relatives are, plus he is nice enough to stop and talk to me anywhere any time. He's just super great at the Post Office too.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM

437 posts, read 390,551 times
I used to HATE waiting in line for 45 minutes only to get the old guy, I forget his name now, he was slower than molasses on a cold January day. He didn't give a crap how many people were wating in line, he was THE SLOWEST person ever. So when it was my turn and I was to get him, I'd always be ever so curteous and let the person behind me go first, lol. I'm so bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I live in Wasilla and our post office is usually a mess with long lines and gruff workers with the exception of one worker. I usually go to Palmer because when they have long lines they move fast and the workers are much nicer, besides the parking lot is easier to maneuver.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM

214 posts, read 261,617 times
Default Geeze

Are people seriously complaining about this?? I've been to the Barrow Post Office. It's great, they're very professional and the building is nice.

I live out in Nuiqsut (a village 150 miles East of Barrow). Our Post Office is in a shack, they frequently run out of stamps for weeks at a time, and after 6 months I still don't have a key for my PO Box. Yesterday they were closed just because the workers didn't feel like coming in. No big deal though. The only complaints I've heard are from a couple newbies from down states. If you're gonna move out here, you just gotta be laidback and flexible, or the way things work will drive you loony.

Get over it, or get the heck out.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Are people seriously complaining about this?? I've been to the Barrow Post Office. It's great, they're very professional and the building is nice.

I live out in Nuiqsut (a village 150 miles East of Barrow). Our Post Office is in a shack, they frequently run out of stamps for weeks at a time, and after 6 months I still don't have a key for my PO Box. Yesterday they were closed just because the workers didn't feel like coming in. No big deal though. The only complaints I've heard are from a couple newbies from down states. If you're gonna move out here, you just gotta be laidback and flexible, or the way things work will drive you loony.

Get over it, or get the heck out.
BRAVO!!! thank you for posting....no there are only two sour pusses complaining who are negative angry curmudgeons....this puts everything in a perspective that the rational readers of CD forum can understand and see...thank you....things could be so much worse it's just some people make mountains out of mole hills or in some cases ...ummm are just plain delusional, devoid of reality!! will try to rep point ya for this!
edit: rep points to ya!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

15,850 posts, read 15,265,826 times
Quote:

I know, Floyd. I just get tired of seeing threads ruined and closed by mean spirited crap. Stiff, at least, knows exactly what he is doing and he knows that be trolling certain threads, he can get them shut down. Eves at least has the excuse of being bat**** crazy.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,777,231 times
Quote:
Stuff the Post Office sells. I have't looked real careful in recent months, but if memory serves the wall at the center back of the pictures has pictures, stationary items and the like, while the one on the right wall has boxes, wrapping, bubble wrap, and similar odds and ends. It might have changed though, and I wouldn't likely have noticed.
Thanks. Your post office looks remarkably similar to the post office nearest to my home. I like the long counter that separates the clerks from the rest of the branch. The one at our post office is filled with cubbyholes with different forms on them. Barrow's makes more sense because you can put a heavy package on top of it & slide it along. Does Barrow's post office have the automated postal center machines?

The supervisor at our branch apparently earns her yearly bonus by putting the carriers on an efficiency scale. They are supposed to have a set amount of time to deliver the mail & if they take longer the supervisor's bonus goes down. Do you know if Barrow's supervisor has something similar?

Also is there mail delivery to residences in Barrow or does everyone come to the post office to pick up their mail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska