U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 13,533 times

Advertisements

You think I should not ask questions about moving to Alaska or about bringing my business with me unless I give you something for free? Well, I've been teaching other owner/builders how to build for themselves for over 20 years now and have never failed to answer questions anyone has about the traditional craft of building with logs - including several Alaskans and folks on their way to moving to Alaska. Learning to build a fine handcrafted log home for yourself and maybe one or two cabins a year for others can provide you a home and a living. Independance is personal responsibility and a sense of pride. Providing those things for yourself and your family without waiting for permission from the government or a handout as they determine. I've devoted my life to instilling the confidense to build well to those willing to roll up their sleeves and take charge of their own destiny. But - it is work and won't be the easiest thing you've ever done. Not selling anything .... just asking you if there is a need for something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM

1,130 posts, read 896,686 times
As a backpacker/mountain climber I had always wanted to build a log lean to like many I had stayed in. That became my project after retiring from the insurance industry. At one time I had taken 4 years out of insurance to build homes. That said I had no experience building with logs. I spent time on the internet finding a few helpful sites and came upon video of Richard Proeneke by Bob Swerer productions. That video was a big help and after two years I finished my 8' X 12' (interior measurements) lean to. I admire your skilll and the desire to teach others. I only wish you were closer. I for one would be interested in learning truss building and many other finer points of building with logs.
Good luck to you.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Moose Whisperer!

This is the kind of feed back I was hoping to get. A couple have questioned if I may have spammed the forum. That's not my purpose. I have designed and developed a Log Builder Training Program for traditional handcrafted log home construction that has recieved approval by the Veterans Administration for the GI Bill - allowing veterans and their families to use thier GI Bill. This federal approval recognizes our present school location as a Vocational School for Log Building - the only one of it's kind as well as subsequently being designated as an Approved Training Provider for WIA & TAA training grants. I'm interested in building a relationship with the University of Alaska to develope a log builder training program administered by them and then work as an instructor. A college system like UAS has campuses in Ketchikan, Sitka and Juneau and they'd know best how and where would be best to do this. I love the POW island and the weather in the panhandle makes teaching year around hands-on programs possible. When I began teaching I quickly learned that it does not matter where I teach, as I can be in Atlanta and they come from Denmark and British Columbia, I go to Fort Collins Colorado and they come from Vermont, Iowa and Texas. Their attendance has always had more to do with their ability to plan ahead for time to attend than anything else. Do you live in the SE of Alaska?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,624,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogSmithy View Post
Well, I've been teaching other owner/builders how to build for themselves for over 20 years now and have never failed to answer questions anyone has about the traditional craft of building with logs - including several Alaskans and folks on their way to moving to Alaska...Not selling anything .... just asking you if there is a need for something like this.
Actually, I believe yours was one of the schools I considered before, but I was on the West Coat at the time so the other outfit was closer. But if you did make it up here, I might attend just for my own general interest - and it would give me a reason to visit POW. But like I said above, I doubt the average Joe has ever even heard of POW.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM

16,102 posts, read 16,080,123 times
I don't know if that would necessarily be a negative, though, Moose. They might like the idea of going to a fairly remote island in SE.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know if that would necessarily be a negative, though, Moose. They might like the idea of going to a fairly remote island in SE.
Possibly. That could be one of the selling points. How hard (read expensive) is it to get to POW? Is it like flying to Barrow?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Gaffer!!
I keep copies of "Alone in the Wilderness" in DVD, VHS and Book form formy students to watch in the evenings. When I set out to start teaching I made it a point to teach truss and purlin roof construction, log joisted loft floor support systems - all of it. I suppose I resented being expected to accept a basic class and then have to return for intermediate and advanced instruction and guidance. Once a student understands that this craft is 1500 years old and was done then with very primitive tools as well as we can do it to day - that it is not rocket science, they relax and get a lot from the step by step approach I use to teach the requisite skills. Building trusses with round, lumpy,irregular-shaped tapered logs is every man should get the chance to have his "mancard" stamped for! The key to learning is not hard - it requires a skilled, patient log builder to guide you in a hands-on envirnoment.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

16,102 posts, read 16,080,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Possibly. That could be one of the selling points. How hard (read expensive) is it to get to POW? Is it like flying to Barrow?
Ferry is around $45 one way (without a vehicle). Flights are around $125 one way. A consideration would be that flights are often not available due to weather conditions.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogSmithy View Post
I keep copies of "Alone in the Wilderness" in DVD, VHS and Book form formy students to watch in the evenings.
Now you've done it. That happens to be my favorite DVD in my collection. I can only hope to grow up and be like Dick Proenneke one day!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ferry is around $45 one way (without a vehicle). Flights are around $125 one way. A consideration would be that flights are often not available due to weather conditions.
Sounds like Valdez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska